Freshman Jax Forrest win Edinboro open

H82Lose

Its impressive but we should relax a bit.  Its a tournament geared toward redshirts and non-starters.  All the guys he wrestled were freshmen who don't start.  Remember, earlier this year he wrestled in another college tournament where he got a couple similar wins over non-starters, but then ran in to a ranked kid from Purdue.  He got teched.  And he does have a high school loss this year (to Lilledahl, which he avenged).

At the same time, I don't want to undersell him either.  Its very rare for a freshman to be able to compete against D1 college guys.  The guys he beat, despite being freshmen redshirts/non-starters, were themselves studs in high school.  He's good enough to start for many D1 schools right NOW, even though I highly doubt he'd be ranked.  And I love that he is willing to challenge himself like this.  

Best ever?  That's a high bar.  He doesn't have any college wins at the level of Kolat's high finishes at Midlands as a sophomore and junior.  But Jax is still a freshman, and if he keeps improving... you never know.

• Fire 1

He is 15 years old, wrestling non starters or starters some are wresting for division 1 programs. I agree, best ever might be a stretch, but to act like this nothing short of amazing is silly. I know I have watched a lot of kids, and I have not watched anyone this good in a long ass time.  Kolat was a killer, he was physical, and he would beat the shit out of you.  Forrest is more slick, and smooth...

We shall see how this ends up. 

• Fire 1

On 2/6/2023 at 2:27 PM, H82Lose said:

He is 15 years old, wrestling non starters or starters some are wresting for division 1 programs. I agree, best ever might be a stretch, but to act like this nothing short of amazing is silly. I know I have watched a lot of kids, and I have not watched anyone this good in a long ass time.  Kolat was a killer, he was physical, and he would beat the shit out of you.  Forrest is more slick, and smooth...

We shall see how this ends up. 

He's nearly 16 and a half but that doesn't take away from how impressive he's been

• Stalling 1

didn't aiden valencia drop an AA at an open this year?

chittum won an open as a legitimate cadet age kid...

we could talk about how many 17 year old high school kids beat college guys at U20 trials every year...

the pointy end of high school is considerably better than the average college wrestler...

• Fire 1

How old is he?  16.5?  Pretty impressive wins overall.  

If this is right he will be turning 17 going into next school year, which would usually be an age for a senior.  The year following he would be 18 to start the school year —- i.e., a college freshman.

Sounds like he should be called ‘Junior aged’ at this point.  Has had superb training and competition.  Is showing signs of potential college greatness. 

If the age above is correct, I’m going to pump the brakes on the ‘freshman’ amazement though.

Best ever ? 

Jimmy Carr came from a family of 16 siblings to become the youngest ever American Olympic wrestler when he competed in the 1972 Olympics as a high school junior, at age 17. Carr had actually competed at the 1971 World Championships when he was only 16. He biggest title came in 1973 when he won the Midlands.

I believe Jimmy beat defending NCAA champ in Midland finals.

56 minutes ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

As great as Carr was, why didn't he have the success at the PIAAs or  the NCAAs?      Just wondering ?  

He won 1 PIAA title then moved to KY with his brothers. Fletcher was head coach at Kentucky and Joe was assistant.  I believe Jimmy had a tough time being treated as a side show attraction.  He cut quite a bit of weight to make world and Olympic teams (he also cut off cast on his leg off himself just before trials, told his mom the doc's cleared him)  He also had a few injuries.  He also was not a big fan of mat wrestling. Senior level guys were particularly more physical (dirty) when wrestling Jimmy because losing to a HS kid was not a good look.  His shoulder was hurt in match at '72 Olympics and a few people told me that his opponent intentionally hurt him. I forgot the details. 

Carr, Fletcher · Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (uky.edu)

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I remember some great matches involving Alexis Vila and Vugar Orujov (Vito's dad).  Also some good Koreans and Japanese.

day before weigh ins and just a different size of people back then...

106lbs is tiny for a grown man...

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Indeed it is, but there were some solid athletes.  There are still some smaller people worldwide, just not many in the USA.  

for sure...

enough to make it a legitimate weight class today under the current weigh in rules?

clearly the powers that be do not think so...

coach's egos should always take a back door to literally every other aspect of sports...

if they can't coach their college kids well enough to deal with a high schooler then that is on them...

excellence should be acknowledged, celebrated, and rewarded where ever it exists...

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, LJB said:

coach's egos should always take a back door to literally every other aspect of sports...

if they can't coach their college kids well enough to deal with a high schooler then that is on them...

excellence should be acknowledged, celebrated, and rewarded where ever it exists...

THIS 10000000%!!!!!!!!