Indiana State tournament, two more weekends

Southend

On 2/18/2023 at 10:24 PM, Southend said:

Well ,one of , if not the greatest spectacle in high school sports , the Indiana state wrestling final, ended tonight. Announced over 33,000 attended the 2 day, Friday and Saturday event. What a show. 

My view for the finals!

Now we get to see where it goes next year (I’ve booked refundable rooms in Evansville already)

01EB9E16-AA8B-4C31-B7C2-47FA8452617E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Southend said:

That’s what the rumor is. Should be a tough ticket to get ,if it does land in the river city. 

Yea, while I would always prefer an Indy venue over anything else, I’ll take the Ford Center - it’s modern and since we already go there for semi state, it’ll just be a continuation more or less

But would suck for folks out in Chicagoland or Ft Wayne, having to make that drive

7 hours ago, nick said:

Yea, while I would always prefer an Indy venue over anything else, I’ll take the Ford Center - it’s modern and since we already go there for semi state, it’ll just be a continuation more or less

But would suck for folks out in Chicagoland or Ft Wayne, having to make that drive

Not as bad as you think. Harder on the fans than the participants. I’m thinking an overnight stay would be in order, for the participants, just like the Friday afternoon-Saturday morning at Indy. Plus, the sweet drive on I-69, knocking off at least 30-40 minutes from the Fort or region,to get there. When I go to state in Indy as a fan on Friday, I come back home, then go back Saturday morning. If at Evansville I wouldn’t go Friday. I think attendance will go down from that standpoint ,but that’ll probably be ok because of the more limited seats ,at Ford,to sit in anyway ..

Notice that I did not say “states”.  This is a one(1) class State tournament, in its final two weeks or weekends.  This is an all in tournament. “All wrestlers get to wrestle “at the start of the four weekend tournament, starting at local area sectionals , regardless of their season record.

It seems weird to consider all four weekends as part of one tournament. How is it any different from other states that have various qualifying tournaments, whatever they may be called (districts, sectionals, regionals, etc.), prior to the state tournament? Is there any state where your season record is considered in whether you get to wrestle in the first round of qualifying tournaments? The only difference I see from most other states is that there are not multiple divisions for school size.