What idiot coaches vote in the NCAA Coaches poll?

BigRedFan

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

The high and low are thrown out?  Does that mean 2 people left him off?

Maybe. I went back and forth on that. I am guessing it was a case that they had 13 of 14 and still threw out the high and low rather than treat the missing vote as the low.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

that is kind of crazy

how are seeds for ncaa tourney determined?

does the coaches poll have anything to do with it...

if so i smell a rat

In part, yes, the Coaches' Rankings are a factor:

The coaches ranking and RPI are two of several criteria that will be evaluated by the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee during the at-large selection and seeding process along with head-to-head competition, quality wins, conference tournament placement, results versus common opponents and win percentage.

Source: NCAA releases midseason coaches’ rank and RPI for 2023 Division I Wrestling Championships | NCAA.com

• Fire 1

There are at least three cases where it is clear that only 11 votes were used. RBY at 133, Diakomihalis at 149, and Kerkvliet at 285. It seems to me that the root cause is most likely laziness. 

EDIT 1: If you look across the roster for those three weight classes there is a single coach who is on all three. I'm not saying Zeke Jones is responsible. I am just saying he is the only coach voting on all three. OK, I am saying he is responsible, even if I cannot prove it. So maybe not laziness?

EDIT 2: Trivia Question: At what three weights does ASU have their three highest ranked wrestlers? Do not cheat by reading the first paragraph.

For completeness, Jones is also the voter for 125 where they have their next highest ranked wrestler. 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 4

36 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

There are at least three cases where it is clear that only 11 votes were used. RBY at 133, Diakomihalis at 149, and Kerkvliet at 285. It seems to me that the root cause is most likely laziness. 

EDIT 1: If you look across the roster for those three weight classes there is a single coach who is on all three. I'm not saying Zeke Jones is responsible. I am just saying he is the only coach voting on all three. OK, I am saying he is responsible, even if I cannot prove it. So maybe not laziness?

EDIT 2: Trivia Question: At what three weights does ASU have their three highest ranked wrestlers? Do not cheat by reading the first paragraph.

For completeness, Jones is also the voter for 125 where they have their next highest ranked wrestler. 

Yeah I think you solved the mystery.  I was going to say how would his guy benefit, but all 3 of McGee, Parco and Schultz are currently at either 4 or 5 so the clear #1 has in theory dropped to the opposite side of the bracket (at least at 133 and 149, forgot Kerk lost).

But still seems stupid though, surely the other criteria would push RBY in particular back to the #1 actual seed right?

Edited by 1032004

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

surely the other criteria would push RBY in particular back to the #1 actual seed right?

I'm not so sure - 

- RPI

- head-to-head competition

- quality wins

- conference tournament placement

- results versus common opponents

- win percentage.

As of now, Fix and Vito look like they have the advantage in RPI.  If Fix and Vito both win out the remaining schedule, and win their conference tournaments, there may be little else to separate them.

Edited by Red Blades
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

133:  Fix #1, Arujau #2, RBY #3

149:  Gomez #1, Sasso #2, Yianni #3

285:  Parris #1, Cassioppi #2, Davison #3, Kerkvliet #4

WTF?

A subset of these (per weight class)

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2022-23D1MWR_CoachesRankingRoster.pdf

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches