Cox ranked at 97 kg?

mspart

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

The costs associated with traveling to these tournaments dwarf the prize money.

Luckily, club teams and USAW pick up that portion.

no points fund in any sport will ever justify the costs associated...

it is just a bone...

luckily, sometimes those club teams tell you they are going to pick it up then months later tell USAW a big story and refuse...

On 2/16/2023 at 5:24 PM, mspart said:

I figured Intermat was posting the UWW rankings.   If this is intermat's rankings, I should delete this thread.

If someone can tell me how to do it, I will. 

mspart

Something to talk about. 

It's not a ranking, just opinions. At long as they're somewhat informed.

Though...these are terrible. Clearly...these people do not watch those Avenger Movies. Like Captain America should be behind this Sadulaev character. What's he actually done? A couple little Olympics and a handful of World Titles? Not-impressed. His Dagestani countryman left HIS sport undefeated and Sadulaev has moved from 86 to 97 to duck the competition. 

Seriously though, has he passed Saitiev or Medved yet? Or does he need to win a couple more WCs and maybe an Olympic Title?

Saitiev was OLY gold from 1996 through 2008.   He did not medal in 2000 as we all know.  He won 6 WCs.   His last WC was 2005 and he came back for 2008 to win gold.   He is the best there was.   His brother Adam was also very good but had the misfortune to be younger than Bouvi.   But he won 2 WC and 1 OLY gold. 

Sadulaev has 5 WC and 2 OLY golds.   So he is close to Saitiev.   But I think Bouvaisar was a better freestyler.   He is hands down considered the best there's ever been. 

mspart

• Fire 2

GOAT talk is always more nerd talk than anything...

too many qualifiers and circumstances to ever really have a definitive answer...

sad is in the discussion and that is undeniable...

unfortunately, politics is going to prevent any sort of numbers being able to be used to justify an argument for him at the end...

With a 2005 WC gold and a 2008 Oly gold, is there any question that Bouvaisar could not have added two more WC gold if he wanted to?  I don't think there is a good argument for that.  I think he got tired of it all but wanted that Oly gold in 2008.    I think there might be an argument if Saitiev was not in the discussion for GOAT. 

mspart

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, mspart said:

Saitiev was OLY gold from 1996 through 2008.   He did not medal in 2000 as we all know.  He won 6 WCs.   His last WC was 2005 and he came back for 2008 to win gold.   He is the best there was.   His brother Adam was also very good but had the misfortune to be younger than Bouvi.   But he won 2 WC and 1 OLY gold. 

Sadulaev has 5 WC and 2 OLY golds.   So he is close to Saitiev.   But I think Bouvaisar was a better freestyler.   He is hands down considered the best there's ever been. 

mspart

I don't know if it's quite as clear-cut as you're suggesting. Sadulaev is at 5 WCs and 2 Olympics at age 26. They've each lost to an American...Saitiev was to Slay in the Semi's and Sadulaev was to Snyder. Saitiev was 6/3. He lost at one WC, didn't make the team for 2 others and then bowed out and kinda gave the spot to his brother at a 3rd.

144-1(plus a MFF).

Either way, Sadulaev is just 26 years old. I think it's pretty clear he's going to sail past Saitiev's accomplishments in just pure numbers(if he wants). Clearly they don't always tell the whole story, otherwise...you could just use a point system. I don't think most reasonable people would rank Dan Gable below most Jake Rosholt(For example...now shad on Rosholt, he was a stud).

No consideration for Medved though? from '62-'72 he won every Olympics and World Title he competed in. Had a kinda Snyder-Sadulaev competition going with Duraliev(though he never lost).

2 hours ago, mspart said:

With a 2005 WC gold and a 2008 Oly gold, is there any question that Bouvaisar could not have added two more WC gold if he wanted to?  I don't think there is a good argument for that.  I think he got tired of it all but wanted that Oly gold in 2008.    I think there might be an argument if Saitiev was not in the discussion for GOAT. 

mspart

Well...again, he lost in '07 and didn't make the Russian World Team. 

So I think there's an argument that he may not have won a couple more WCs based on that. As he DID end up coming back and made the team the following year, it's kinda moot. 

Both of them were just such amazing technicians. The greatest scramble I've ever seen was Sadulaev vs a Bulgarian. I can't find it, trying to get ahold of it, but to see a man of his size move the way he did, it was incredible. 

Saitiev looked like he was almost drilling at times. He just made the sport look easy. 

And I've never seen Medved. 

8 hours ago, LJB said:

too many qualifiers and circumstances to ever really have a definitive answer...

unfortunately, politics is going to prevent any sort of numbers being able to be used to justify an argument for him at the end...

Well...TALKING about Wrestling on a Forum or picking winners is nerd talk too. I'm find with that moniker. It's barber shop talk. It's just bullshitting. You do it with everything. Greatest Football player, Baseball player, style of Wrestling...

There is obviously no definitive answer...normally. I'd say Karelin is the definitive Goat in his respective style even if Lopez has won 1 more Olympic Title.

Why do you think politics will prevent any sort of numbers being able to justify an argument for him at the end? Do you think Russia's going to be kicked out of the Olympics? Far as I heard, they were going to let them perform under a neutral flag. 

I hope common sense prevails and they're at least allowed to do that. There's...so many reasons why this ripe with hypocrisy and contradictions and...all of that. Putin=Bad. Sadulaev to the best of my knowledge was not involved in the decision to invade the Ukraine. Short of that or doping, there's no reason to not allow a citizen to compete. 

10 hours ago, LJB said:

Well...TALKING about Wrestling on a Forum or picking winners is nerd talk too. I'm find with that moniker. 

There is obviously no definitive answer...normally. I'd say Karelin is the definitive Goat in his respective style even if Lopez has won 4.

Why do you think politics will prevent any sort of numbers being able to justify an argument for him at the end? Do you think Russia's going to be kicked out of the Olympics? Far as I heard, they were going to let them perform under a neutral flag. 

I hope common sense prevails and they're at least allowed to do that. There's...so many reasons why this ripe with hypocrisy and contradictions and...all of that. Putin=Bad. Sadulaev to the best of my knowledge was not involved in the decision to invade the Ukraine. Shy of that or testing dirty(no reason to think he is other than guilt by association)...and he should be allowed to compete. No question.