UWW Alexandria Ranking Tourney

LJB

6 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

If his thumb is in his eyeball, it's a gouge whether malicious or not. But watch the video at 0.25x speed from 5:26-5:28 and tell me that's not intentional? (I know full well you will hold your position and not actually rewatch the clip, but posting for the benefit of others.) Adding a screenshot, but the video is more telling.

Screenshot_20230227_112619_YouTube.jpg

i already rewatched again this morning before i offered my take on it...

you can't see desanto's eyes or dude's thumb in your still pic...

i just choose to not get emotional about it just because the guy has a USA on his chest...

whatever...

5 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

As a general point, I found the reffing at this tournament far less uniform/consistent than at other tournaments.

i saw a bunch of refs being "coached" by the chairman throughout the tourney...

it happens...

early in the season...

i saw a very good USA ref act very unsure on the whistle, which, did surprise me a little...

my only assumption is that they were several new things that they were stressing for the refs...

which i could not pick up on what the hell they would have been...

but it felt a little like a regional watching...

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

i saw a bunch of refs being "coached" by the chairman throughout the tourney...

it happens...

early in the season...

i saw a very good USA ref act very unsure on the whistle, which, did surprise me a little...

my only assumption is that they were several new things that they were stressing for the refs...

which i could not pick up on what the hell they would have been...

but it felt a little like a regional watching...

I don't push software live to production servers prior to running the test suite.

Just now, Mike Parrish said:

I don't push software live to production servers prior to running the test suite.

they don't set up testing environments for refs from 20+ countries w/500+ athletes to get the bugs ironed out...

they have a 6 hour session where they all get together the day before the tourney...

and you don't want to be involved in those meetings... they could make a person rethink some things...

factor in all those refs who just got promoted and this could be their first big international tourney...

i will cut them some slack...

and the fact is i did not see one egregious call stand in any of the matches i watched... 

i just choose to not get emotional about it just because the guy has a USA on his chest...
whatever...
Not even slightly emotional. Just answering the question about what happened to Desanto's eyes. If you choose to believe the thumb was on the forehead and Desanto is faking it, that is your prerogative. I have no blind allegiance (and don't give two shits about Desanto) and am quite capable of impartially assessing a wrestling match regardless of the name on the front or back, and have done so here.

7 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
29 minutes ago, LJB said:
whatever...

Not even slightly emotional. Just answering the question about what happened to Desanto's eyes. If you choose to believe the thumb was on the forehead and Desanto is faking it, that is your prerogative. I have no blind allegiance (and don't give two shits about Desanto) and am quite capable of impartially assessing a wrestling match regardless of the name on the front or back, and have done so here.

hey...

you see "gouging" i see someone fighting off his back and got some hands in the face...

whatever...

i see things different than most...

it is part of my "tough guy" persona that so many like to get salty about...

adorable, yes?

hey...
you see "gouging" i see someone fighting off his back and got some hands in the face...
whatever...
i see things different than most...
it is part of my "tough guy" persona that so many like to get salty about...
adorable, yes?

Adorable, for sure.

But the guy spent more time getting his thumb in the right place than he did actually trying to get off his back. Seriously, who gets pinned in that position? Desanto had no hold whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Crotalus said:

Adorable, for sure.

But the guy spent more time getting his thumb in the right place than he did actually trying to get off his back. Seriously, who gets pinned in that position? Desanto had no hold whatsoever.

it is a wonder for sure that desanto did not have both his eyes ripped out, one ear, and most of his nose...

someone should write a sternly worded email to UWW and see what can be done about this assault...

it is a wonder for sure that desanto did not have both his eyes ripped out, one ear, and most of his nose...
someone should write a sternly worded email to UWW and see what can be done about this assault...
This is the women's style we're talking about. The competitors are not manly enough to stand there and hug until the ref tells one of them to lay down. (Boom, roasted)

ADS's opponent was a child.  Complained continually about his tricep and it went nowhere.   So he acted out.   Should have been penalized in my opinion.   I have to say that I am impressed with ADS and I didn't think I would.   He is scrappy and is working hard.   He's had two great tourneys.   I still don't like him but whatever he is, it is working for him.

mspart

10 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

This is the women's style we're talking about. The competitors are not manly enough to stand there and hug until the ref tells one of us to lay down. (Boom, roasted)

you are so close to enlightenment...

keep at it...

i'm pulling for you...

7 minutes ago, mspart said:

ADS's opponent was a child.  Complained continually about his tricep and it went nowhere.   So he acted out.   Should have been penalized in my opinion.   I have to say that I am impressed with ADS and I didn't think I would.   He is scrappy and is working hard.   He's had two great tourneys.   I still don't like him but whatever he is, it is working for him.

mspart

apparently the assault was just not a big enough deal to anyone else involved to warrant any follow up action...

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I'm a bit confused on the scoring of that. The ref originally called 4 blue 2 red. Which indicates she was giving Zahid credit for feet to back and then 2 to Ukr for exposure. After the challenge, they switched it to 4 red 2 blue.

If they are giving Ukr credit for a 4 pt feet to back chest wrap (which I think was the right call, there was a very slight hesitation and it was more of a lift than just rolling Zahid through on a continuation of the double), then what did Zahid get 2 points for? He didn't get a takedown, and it wasn't his exposure. If Zahid is given 2 for exposure, then it couldn't be a 4 pointer for Ukr, right? Should that not have been 4 red 0 blue, or 2 red 2 blue?

good point.

i think perhaps zahid exposed on the continuation out of bounds? 

i do not believe the current sanctions on russia/belarussian athletes has been in effect long enough for athletes to use it as a reason to switch countries...

at least one calendar year needs to have past since competing for the current nation... i am sure there is more to that, but, i am ignorant of all of the check boxes that need marked off to switch countries...

i do recall something about a couple of belarus athletes having got past the time requirements to switch nations, but, that was started before and unrelated to the current shenanigans...

• Fire 1

good point.
Maybe that was the justification. I don't see any way Zahid could be given 2 pts (TD or exposure) prior to the 4 pt throw. I think the only way for Zahid to have earned 2, if scored correctly, would be if he was given credit for exposing Ukr after the 4 pt throw. But he would have had to hold him there and not just a continuous roll through, which I don't see.

Just now, LJB said:

we are now posting pics from other tourneys where someone got some hands to the face?

this thread could live forever!!!!!

I'm just saying that I've seen lots of dirty shit at international tournaments that the refs never called but should have.

It doesn't mean it wasn't dirty shit in the first place though.

Just now, Mike Parrish said:

I'm just saying that I've seen lots of dirty shit at international tournaments that the refs never called but should have.

It doesn't mean it wasn't dirty shit in the first place though.

no doubt...

and all the whining after accomplishes nothing...

the boggeyman is everywhere anyone looks for him...

8 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:
good point.

Maybe that was the justification. I don't see any way Zahid could be given 2 pts (TD or exposure) prior to the 4 pt throw. I think the only way for Zahid to have earned 2, if scored correctly, would be if he was given credit for exposing Ukr after the 4 pt throw. But he would have had to hold him there and not just a continuous roll through, which I don't see.

valencia lands out of bounds after his sloppy shot...

no counters out of bounds...

he breaks his lock...

he does not end up in a position to even consider a TD, which, even in the middle of the mat if that goes down and valencia ended up covering the hips then it would just be 1 for a reversal...

i legitimately have no idea what they saw, but, they looked at it for awhile and surely with better angles than we got on the live feed...

regardless... it just meant he lost by less...

Honest question because I do not know the answer.  If you have guy broken and he fouls you to where the foul disqualifies him, can you decline that and appeal for the match to continue?  Kind of like how you could decline the old tech rule.