Tommy Fury defeats Jake Paul

GreatWhiteNorth

Tommy Fury isn't a boxing sensation by any means, his record was 8-0 against mostly below average fighters. He's better known for his reality TV performances. That being said, he's better than the celebrities and washed-up guys that Paul had been facing up until now. (Tommy is not to be confused with his brother, Tyson, who is the current Heavyweight boxing champ.)

This match was surprisingly entertaining. Neither Paul nor Fury are good pro boxers - but their skills matched up pretty evenly and made for a fun match to watch. Ending with a split decision in favor of Tommy Fury.

Apparently, there's a 'rematch' clause in the contract that gives Paul the right to a rematch if he loses... so we may well see this match again.

My son wanted to watch and was late.   Got there for the split decision.  I'd say Jake bought off a scorekeeper or kept it pretty close.   If close, kudos to him.   But he got a real boxer even though young and not all that good, and couldn't handle him.   Jake will need to get a lot tougher and rougher.   We'll see if he wants a rematch after this. 

mspart

4 hours ago, mspart said:

My son wanted to watch and was late.   Got there for the split decision.  I'd say Jake bought off a scorekeeper or kept it pretty close.   If close, kudos to him.   But he got a real boxer even though young and not all that good, and couldn't handle him.   Jake will need to get a lot tougher and rougher.   We'll see if he wants a rematch after this. 

mspart

I should have PM'd you. I had a stream I could have hooked you up with. My bad.

I'll say that it looked like Jake kept it close - as expected, he had more gas in the tank the in the final rounds. Still able to swing wildly from time to time and Fury had to stay in position and be careful. Jake didn't break. If there is a rematch, Fury will need to tank up if he expects a win.

Throughout the match, there was a ridiculous amount of clutching and resting. Not good boxing there. Other than that, the match was close and entertaining.

Meaning Fury did not take this seriously enough to get in proper shape?  Or that Jake Paul is an actual good enough boxer to get a split from a pro, although not a top pro?

I'm thinking it is the former.   I didn't see it, but I just have a hard time believing that a guy that decided to be a boxer in his 20s could be good enough to play in the pro leagues. 

mspart

On 2/28/2023 at 1:52 PM, mspart said:

Meaning Fury did not take this seriously enough to get in proper shape?  Or that Jake Paul is an actual good enough boxer to get a split from a pro, although not a top pro?

I'm thinking it is the former.   I didn't see it, but I just have a hard time believing that a guy that decided to be a boxer in his 20s could be good enough to play in the pro leagues. 

mspart

Yes - the former. Basically, all the boxing analysts during prefight interviews were saying the first 4 rounds favored Fury, but that if it goes 5-8 rounds then favor started tilting toward Paul. I don't follow either closely, but that told me that they expected Fury to fade. Don't know why. Maybe he was doing a lot of filming for his TV gig and didn't have the time to train properly? I can only guess.

Like I said, there was quite a lot of clinching and holding going on in the later rounds by both of them - so Paul wasn't displaying superior conditioning at all. He was slowing down but still throwing a few hard lefts and occasional combinations. Fury was still clearly outpunching him but wasn't showing the power in his punches he had earlier in the fight.

Except spending too much time clinching, it was a closer than expected fight that was surprisingly entertaining.

I didn't go PPV - haven't spent a nickel on any of Paul's fights yet and plan to continue that way. I had a link that worked...

I tried to revisit the link afterward because Paul scored a knockdown in the 7th that I thought was a slip and wanted to take another look at it. No luck - it was live stream only.

• Fire 1