Cubans who have defected

• 3 weeks later...
How do they defect to the US without being deported by the US?

Anyone who seeks asylum in the US must be granted a hearing, and pending a hearing, may be granted that asylum and become a legal resident.

This is pretty basic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true, but even without the hearing, they are legal residents as it is being exercised now.   They don't have asylum but they can stay in the US until the hearing legally without being deported.  They are supposed to show up for the hearing.  According to recent studies, most do.    But the backlog is immense. 

mspart

51 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Anyone who seeks asylum in the US must be granted a hearing, and pending a hearing, may be granted that asylum and become a legal resident.

Basic if you have ever cared to google it.

Living in Miami I see more Cubans than I do English speaking Americans most weeks.

That doesn't mean I googled if and how they might or might not be here legally or not legally.

No reason or care to.

Untitled.png.b445674eab5d894a7e3dbfb5e0743772.png

Jesus Wilson represented Cuba at the 1993 World Championships.  Defected to the US and attended Upper Iowa (D3).  Nearly made a world team losing in the trials finals to Eric Guerrero 2 matches to 1.

https://uiupeacocks.com/honors/upper-iowa-university-athletics-hall-of-fame/jesus-wilson/189

Lázaro Reinoso, John Smith's nemesis, also defected and wrestled D2 at Carson Newman.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1994-05-14-9405130602-story.html

Edited by fishbane
  • Fire 2

More recently Anthony Echemendia came to the US in high school.  He wrestled for half a year in high school in AZ then change college commitment a few times before landing at Ohio State.  I think he got beat out or was injured.  Either way D'Emilio was the starter at his weight last year.  This year he is no longer on the roster.

There was also some legal issues for him last year related to alleged domestic violence at the start of last season.

Edited by fishbane

On 3/20/2023 at 6:27 PM, Le duke said:

I'm pretty sure it's different with Cubans. Johnson signed a bill in the 60's that allows Cubans who make it to the US to become citizens after a year in the Country...I believe.

It's not the same as a refugee or immigrant coming up from a Latin American Country claiming asylum. It's much easier for Cubans. 

That's why the Cuban Gov't sent something like ~100,000 prisoners and people housed in mental health facilities to the US. Because they knew they wouldn't be sent back. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:39 PM, scourge165 said:

I'm pretty sure it's different with Cubans. Johnson signed a bill in the 60's that allows Cubans who make it to the US to become citizens after a year in the Country...I believe.

It's not the same as a refugee or immigrant coming up from a Latin American Country claiming asylum. It's much easier for Cubans. 

That's why the Cuban Gov't sent something like ~100,000 prisoners and people housed in mental health facilities to the US. Because they knew they wouldn't be sent back. 

The Cuban boatlift. Resulted in some diversity that didn't make us better. 

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

Did it? I never really heard much about what impact it had(other than the move Scarface). Just that there were a LOT of political prisoners and in reading a little more,  ~15-20K of the 125K who came over or were "allowed" to leave were prisoners, but even then, there were some artists, and writers who were more political prisoners...

Is THIS what created "Florida Man?"

7 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Did it? I never really heard much about what impact it had(other than the move Scarface). Just that there were a LOT of political prisoners and in reading a little more,  ~15-20K of the 125K who came over or were "allowed" to leave were prisoners, but even then, there were some artists, and writers who were more political prisoners...

Is THIS what created "Florida Man?"

There we literally terrorists sent here, several spies and criminals.  One of the biggest stories I vaguely remember was a prison riot. They literally took over a prison and had a standoff that went on for days. Of course not everyone was bad but to borrow from Trump we didn't get their best and brightest.  I remember this time period when the news every night led with the Mariel boatlift. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

There we literally terrorists sent here, several spies and criminals.  One of the biggest stories I vaguely remember was a prison riot. They literally took over a prison and had a standoff that went on for days. Of course not everyone was bad but to borrow from Trump we didn't get their best and brightest.  I remember this time period when the news every night led with the Mariel boatlift. 

Ok...I do vaguely remember seeing something about that. A few thousand prisoners were being sent back and they rioted to try and negotiate life in an American prison instead? 

I was(am) pretty ignorant about the entire subject other than knowing it happened and some anecdotes. 

https://apnews.com/article/9d151e5171e19990b9f251efb57275bf

Can't say I blame Castro. After the 40th or 50th assassination attempt, he probably thought, "hey...I'm starting to think those American's don't like me." And then everyone with a useable skill kept fleeing Cuba and we just took them all in. 

So why not throw all the crazies and murders onto one boat and ship 'em over!

1 hour ago, El Luchador said:

Now...on another note. I was under the impression that with tensions seemingly easing between the two Countries, people were now allowed to leave Cuba and come to the United States.

I didn't think they still HAD to defect?

27 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Now...on another note. I was under the impression that with tensions seemingly easing between the two Countries, people were now allowed to leave Cuba and come to the United States.

I didn't think they still HAD to defect?

That was my thought too, but I don't know for sure.