Confirmed: Gilman ducking Spencer Lee

bnwtwg

Maybe he just wants to wrestle but not have to cut so much weight?   Why would he move away from an Olympic weight to a non olympic weight?   That makes no sense.   He was WC, runner up twice and 3rd at 57.  Unless he is running away from Spencer Lee, the goatiest of the goatest goats.    I'm guessing when it comes to Final X, he'll be at 57.   I don't see him running away from anyone. 

mspart

• Fire 7

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Maybe he just wants to wrestle but not have to cut so much weight?   Why would he move away from an Olympic weight to a non olympic weight?   That makes no sense.   He was WC, runner up twice and 3rd at 57.  Unless he is running away from Spencer Lee, the goatiest of the goatest goats.    I'm guessing when it comes to Final X, he'll be at 57.   I don't see him running away from anyone. 

mspart

You're telling me that a 4x and returning world medalist is not scared of a college wrestler with exactly one senior tournament's worth of experience? I don't buy it. He reads these message boards and knows Spencer Lee is inevitable.

• Haha 2

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

You're telling me that a 4x and returning world medalist is not scared of a college wrestler with exactly one senior tournament's worth of experience? I don't buy it. He reads these message boards and knows Spencer Lee is inevitable.

Lee does have a higher average place in senior level tournaments than Gilman does....

Just now, Crotalus said:

Lee does have a higher average place in senior level tournaments than Gilman does....

That's because armbar tilts are worth 4 points but freestyle exposures are only worth 2. It's simple math that adds up to Gilman packing on muscle to compete at his new weight class.

I would be surprised if Gilman really is moving up in weight just a year before the Olympics.   That seems downright surprising.   Or maybe he thinks he can take Yianni and gonna go up that far next.   Lacking a statement from him, I will just assume he doesn't want to cut that much weight but wants some more international mat time.

mspart

Found this:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10666438-thomas-gilman-officially-wrestling-at-61-kg-this-weekend

Per a roster release from USA Wrestling, Thomas Gilman will be competing at 61 kg at the Dan Kolov this weekend. This is massive information as it will be the first time in Gilman’s career that he will be competing at 61 kg at an official UWW or USA Wrestling event. In 2020 Gilman competed at 61 kg against Frank Perrelli at NLWC Live Event 3 and at 132 lbs against Seth Gross in 2021 at WRTC Underground #2. 

Gilman has been quite open that it is not an easy cut down to 57 kg. He has strongly considered moving up to 61 in the past, but the timing of yesterday’s news is quite interesting given that 61 kg is not an Olympic weight and 2023 is the year before the Olympics. In fact, Gilman said in an interview with Andy Hamilton in August of 2022, “we’re so far along into this cycle now that I think I’m staying at 57, and then we’ll re-evaluate. But maybe I wake up tomorrow and I don’t like wrestling, and I’m done. So who knows?”

At another point in the interview, Gilman says, “wrestling is a very hard, intense, and grueling sport. A grueling job if I’m not going to enjoy it, so I better enjoy every aspect of it. There are plenty of other things I could do and make a lot more money with less stress. So, just enjoying the process really is the biggest thing.”

Surely not having to cut an extra four kilos would make the process of competing more enjoyable for Gilman. So, is Gilman testing the waters at 61 kg? Is this a permanent move? Is he planning on going down for Final X? Will he have a day in between now and Final X where he decides to go down? Gilman said in 2022 one day he just woke up and went, “I’m going down.” Gilman himself might not even know all those answers at this time. 

While there is no official word on when the information will be made public, Gilman must notify USA Wrestling of his Final X weight by Friday, April 21st at 7 pm Eastern. 

There is a video that is on that URL where he discusses his move to 61kg.   I don't have Flo membership so I can't watch the video but the article says he begins speaking about it at 12:55. 

mspart

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10667970-team-usas-results-at-the-2023-dan-kolov-tournament

61kg: Thomas Gilman

• Rd 16 - 6-1 win over Yaroslav Hurskyy (UKR)
  • Quarters - 11-1 loss to Kaise Tanabe (JPN)

He better hope Tanabe makes it to the finals.   That's a horrendous loss for a WC.  Getting owned like that might drive him back to 57kg.  You can see the match by clicking on the link. 

mspart

I just watched the match.   The Japanese guy seemed a lot stronger and a lot quicker.   Gilman took the vast majority of shots that were countered effectively.  Gilman looked sloppy which is not his usual style!!   I hope he gets it together so he can get better than silver at the WCs this year.  It doesn't appear to be happening at 61Kg that's for sure.

mspart

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

...nobody really thinks he's going to 61, do they?  Not the year before the Olympics, anyway, lol.

This is a very serious shitpost and can only be taken literally

• 1 month later...

Lee won't be in better condition by the time the tournament starts. Anyone pushing him will wear him out.

His knees appear to still be a problem - and that won't let him win, IF he even shows up.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Copied from a friend.

57 - Gillman sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
61 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.
65 - Diakomihalis sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
70 - Retherford sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
74 - Dake sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
79 - Burroughs sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
86 - Taylor sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
92 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.
97 - Snyder sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.
125 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

• Fire 1