Make Your Case For an At-Large Bid

What wrestler on your favorite team deserves an At-Large bid? Why do you say that? I hope that Pirate shows up with his "numbers" and "science" and "facts" and "logic" like he has in the past, but until then, who ya got?

I'll go first.

Danny Pucino, 141, University of ILLINOIS. Before the B1G tournament, he had a 13-7 record against D1 competition. He was #24 in both the RPI and Coaches' Poll. Solidly within the benchmarks.

He's Italian.

He has beaten the following wrestlers already in the field: Northwestern's Frankie Tal-Shahar (5th BTT), Purdue's Parker Filius (4th BTT), and Kal Miller of Maryland (9th BTT). 

Additionally, he beat Javion Jones of NIU (3rd MAC) head to head, and Jones will be in the 141 at large pool. This was by a solid 4-1 score.

Six of his nine losses are to wrestlers who are currently top twelve in the weight at wrestlestat.com. His two worst losses are to fellows who won auto bids to the NCAA Tournament (Miller, 9th at BTT; Zargo, 7th at BTT).

His drawback is not placing in the BTT in the spot right after the auto qualifier (10th).

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Well, I'm 58 with no speed, skills, discipline, or flexibility. My eligibility is exhausted, and while I think it would be cruel to force others to seem me in a singlet, I really want this.

Oh wait, I just read past the topic title. Never mind. And if my wife asks, I was never here.

If you've never been beaten by Yianni Diakomihalis or Spencer Lee, and you like piña coladas and aren't much into health food, you're in. 

Meet me at a bar called O'Malley's where we'll plan your escape, takedown and pinfalls. But when you get to the bar, you will be shocked to find out that I am your wife!

• Fire 1
  • Haha 3

Chance Rich

1. He had to MedFFT - that should count for something - it does in the Big10. We can't change the rules now. 

2. He wrestles for Bakersfield. They need a rep at the NCAA. This should be like the MLB all-star game where every team gets a rep in the game. Trophies for everyone. 

3. He has a great name.

4. He has wins over qualifiers including an injury win over Cannon 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

14 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Chance Rich

1. He had to MedFFT - that should count for something - it does in the Big10. We can't change the rules now. 

2. He wrestles for Bakersfield. They need a rep at the NCAA. This should be like the MLB all-star game where every team gets a rep in the game. Trophies for everyone. 

3. He has a great name.

4. He has wins over qualifiers including an injury win over Cannon 

You state a great case, especially about his name. In fact, that's such a great name I fact checked to make sure he's real. He is.

He even made Round of 16 and Round of 12 the last two years. Pretty impressive!

He has six "L MFORs" this year, though. If he can get a note from his doctor, he's in.

Connor McGonagle, 133.  Blew out his knee in the first minute of his EIWA QF.  Admittedly, he likely won't be able to compete at NCAA... but at least give the guy the honor of being recognized as a National Qualifier and then flip the spot to an alternate.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Well, I'm 58 with no speed, skills, discipline, or flexibility. My eligibility is exhausted, and while I think it would be cruel to force others to seem me in a singlet, I really want this.

Oh wait, I just read past the topic title. Never mind. And if my wife asks, I was never here.

Well ... Mr BP's wife says he is stalling and MP's wife says he doesn't finish so think Wkn should be in, although he didn't say what weight class.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Fire 1

OHIO STATE guys (stolen from OSU site)....

Hoffman wins over NCAA qualfiers this year (3)- Cam Caffey, Andy Smith, Evan Bockman 

Hoffman also has a win over Nick Willham who is currently sitting on the cut line for allocation at 10 for Big Ten's at 197 (9). 

Hoffman's coaches ranking before Big Ten's was 14. Intermat 19. Flo 14. RPI 18. Wrestlestat 23 (updated).

Returning AA

Is German American. During NCAA tourney and drinking beer can yell at TV the following nicknames...Da HoffMan! The HasselHoff!

Paddy wins over NCAA qualifiers this year (3)-Trevor Chumbley, Andrew Clark, Corybn Munson (TF)

Paddy finisehd 11th at Big Ten's via a MFF which is on the cut line for 157 allocations (10).  He did al this while going 0-3 at Big 10s! Now that is impressive!

Paddy's coaches ranking before Big Ten's was 22. Intermat 25. Flo 22. RPI 21. Wrestlestat 24 (updated).

Is Irish and name can be used for unlimited puns and jokes...Paddy Cake, Paddy Wagon, etc. Favorite movie is Banshees of Inisheran. Rumor is Colin Farrell is a big fan of his as well.

Edited by DocBB
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Connor McGonagle, 133.  Blew out his knee in the first minute of his EIWA QF.  Admittedly, he likely won't be able to compete at NCAA... but at least give the guy the honor of being recognized as a National Qualifier and then flip the spot to an alternate.

That could result in needlessly bastardizing the seeding though is the drawback.  

• Fire 2

Brendan Furman, Cornell.

- Finished 7th in a 6-bid conference.

- Wins over fellow at-large pool members Stefanik and Knighton-Ward.

- 0-8 against AQ's, so no signature wins BUT 9-0 against the rest, so no bad losses. 

- Currently 34 on the wrestlestat RPI, but that's an approximation so he could be top 33 for consideration purposes.

- 30-33 of the pre-tournament CR had losing records at their conference tournaments, so Furman could get into the CR for consideration purposes.

- Qualified for the 2020 tournament before the pandemic stole his trip. 

- Injury replacement for a 2022 R12 (Fernandes) which kept him from building up his resume at, say, the Binghamton Open or the wrestlebacks at CKLV.

- the MAC guys in the at-large pool only beat each other for semi-quality wins and have bad out of conference losses

- I want this for him

Edited by ugarles
  • Fire 2

At 157 in the B1G, what do you do with Brayton Lee and Mike Carr?

Both are top 20 guys with long histories.  Lee a former AA, Carr was unbeaten this year and lots of big wins over his career.

But...  Lee is 4-9, no wins over top 20 guys, and went 0-2 at B1Gs, ending with a 1st minute pin to MD's North.  And Carr went 0-3 at B1Gs and only has 7 matches.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, BAC said:

Both are top 20 guys with long histories.  Lee a former AA, Carr was unbeaten this year and lots of big wins over his career.

But...  Lee is 4-9, no wins over top 20 guys, and went 0-2 at B1Gs, ending with a 1st minute pin to MD's North.  And Carr went 0-3 at B1Gs and only has 7 matches.

Did Lee get hurt at B1G?

• Fire 1

i think 

22 minutes ago, BAC said:

Don't you need 8 matches to even be considered for an at-large? I think that precludes Carr.

As for Lee, it depends on whether he stays in CR since he isn't eligible for RPI but does have a win over an AQ (Gilcher).

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

He couldn’t even lift his right arm after the match with Lewan. I was shocked he went out for a second match.

I didn't look at the bracket and wrestlestat has the matches in reverse order. i was shocked that he went to SV against Lewan after getting pinned in :38. Reversing the order and assuming an injury the results make a lot more sense.

• Fire 3