Hey Shane Sparks

lu_alum

Naming wrestling moves:

• Stop trying to rename a "head lever" as a "coffee grinder"
  • Don't ridicule Jim Gibbons when he correctly identifies someone using a "Gizoni", when it's an actual move named after a Hall of Fame wrestler.  https://nwhof.org/hall_of_fame/bio/4086

In 1951, wrestling at 123 pounds, he won the title as the No. 1 seed. Trailing in the finals, Gizoni used hand control, back pressure and a hip heist to get a reversal and gain the upper hand in a tight match. That patented move is forever known as the “Gizoni Special.”

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Naming wrestling moves:

• Stop trying to rename a "head lever" as a "coffee grinder"
  • Don't ridicule Jim Gibbons when he correctly identifies someone using a "Gizoni", when it's an actual move named after a Hall of Fame wrestler.  https://nwhof.org/hall_of_fame/bio/4086

That argument was hilarious, I was laughing out loud at that exchange. Never heard it called a coffee grinder before.

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

That argument was hilarious, I was laughing out loud at that exchange. Never heard it called a coffee grinder before.

I've never heard it called a "head grinder" before. Always been coffee grinder to me. 

Also never heard it called a Gizoni.

I can't tell how serious the OP is being. I don't think Shane Sparks is "ridiculing" anyone. I think he's made a couple of jokes and they have a good rapport with each other, a lot of mutual respect(though moreso from Shane to Gibbons). 

I would not question Gibbons, but...you know how this stuff is. It's regional. It's also not something I really pay much attention to. Gibbons does a great job of breaking down Wrestling in a way that you can understand even if you're not a Wrestler. Talking about just the head position, the hand fighting, back pressure, position in scrambles, "whoever can get their head up here is gonna win this position." 

It's really an awesome duo. And then with Tim Johnson, even better. 

• Fire 5

I think they are great too, but after switching on ESPN and listening to Robles on the horn... wow. What a difference. Is Robles scheduled to call NCAAs? I don't think he was on last year (or maybe just partial sessions?) but not 100% sure.

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I've never heard it called a "head grinder" before. Always been coffee grinder to me. 

Also never heard it called a Gizoni.

I can't tell how serious the OP is being. I don't think Shane Sparks is "ridiculing" anyone. I think he's made a couple of jokes and they have a good rapport with each other, a lot of mutual respect(though moreso from Shane to Gibbons). 

I would not question Gibbons, but...you know how this stuff is. It's regional. It's also not something I really pay much attention to. Gibbons does a great job of breaking down Wrestling in a way that you can understand even if you're not a Wrestler. Talking about just the head position, the hand fighting, back pressure, position in scrambles, "whoever can get their head up here is gonna win this position." 

It's really an awesome duo. And then with Tim Johnson, even better. 

You had me until "and then with Tim Johnson, even better."  Seems like a wonderful man and has some good instincts about the flow of a match, but he engages in these giant trivia data dumps during live wrestling, must be paid by the word, and must be paid bonus for every time he says the word "freshman," which you could make a drinking game of.

Gibbons, on the other hand, takes a lot of criticism when I think he in reality is terrific.  He has a nice understated manner, and immediately points out crucial and sometimes complex technique issues that provide important insight to the viewer.  

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I think they are great too, but after switching on ESPN and listening to Robles on the horn... wow. What a difference. Is Robles scheduled to call NCAAs? I don't think he was on last year (or maybe just partial sessions?) but not 100% sure.

Yes go back and watch an ACC, a B12 and a B10 final match.  Its pretty apparent who is at the bottom.  The others behave like professionals and don't spend all their time tooting their own horn.  That said I do feel bad for Gibbons, pair him up with some of the new voices, say Hardell Moore, and it could be a different story.  

For what it is worth, I was taught that it was a "snowplow".  Every region has its own names for stuff. 

I don't mind a little banter, but there needs to be a limit.  I think the challenge with being funny in these situations is that you don't really have an audience (that you can see/hear), so that when something is not going over well, or has been running on for too long, you don't get that feedback like you would if you were on stage.  I think there is a tendency to think that if your broadcast partner is amused, then so is the audience.  

1 minute ago, lightweight said:

...Every region has its own names for stuff.

I don't mind a little banter, but there needs to be a limit.  I think the challenge with being funny in these situations is that you don't really have an audience (that you can see/hear), so that when something is not going over well, or has been running on for too long, you don't get that feedback like you would if you were on stage.  I think there is a tendency to think that if your broadcast partner is amused, then so is the audience.  

You've got that right, @lightweight!   The "Coffee Grinder" banter has been going on for at least 3-4 weeks.  Gibbons continually attempts to correct Sparks, but Shane doesn't know when to let it go.

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

The people demand Rock and Robles!

• Stalling 1

i am an idiot on the internet

This isn’t the first time they have had this convo.   I think it’s developed into a running joke on their part 

I love it because of this. Just a little light hearted banter. I don’t see a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 2

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

14 hours ago, CropDuster507 said:

We depend upon "go ahead and..." for our drinking game. Gibbons gets to work BTN until he decides he's done.

I think 'resilite' is really shooting up the rankings. I swear they dropped it in at least 10 times during the broadcast. I get why to mix up from saying mat at all the time but man, it seems like a lot haha.

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think 'resilite' is really shooting up the rankings. I swear they dropped it in at least 10 times during the broadcast. I get why to mix up from saying mat at all the time but man, it seems like a lot haha.

Sparky has a NIL deal with Resilite.  🤔

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Yeah, that seemed pretty hacky/shilly to me. I thought people called the mat "the canvas" if they wanted to show off some old school cred.

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

Yeah, that seemed pretty hacky/shilly to me. I thought people called the mat "the canvas" if they wanted to show off some old school cred.

Back in the day we said taking em to the horse hair😉

• Fire 2