At Large Bid announced

VakAttack

they did not find my cases compelling. disappointed for Berreyesa and Furman. Also surprised that McGonagle got an at-large but I can't imagine he's able to use it. would be great if he's recovered but the way he was carried off the mat, it would be a pleasant surprise.

• Fire 2

I am not happy with 141. Seems like a "spread the wealth" formula determined the bids. Cael Happel and three from the B1G should've been the call: Pucino, Mattin and Oliveri. Instead, only Mattin from the conference.

49611694531_c2d2ba1272_o.jpg

Edited by ILLINIWrestlingBlog
What I posted wasn't English, my good chap.
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I am not happy with 141. Seems like a "spread the wealth" formula determined the bids. Cael Happel and three from the B1G should've been the call: Pucino, Mattin and Oliveri. Instead, only Mattin from the conference.

49611694531_c2d2ba1272_o.jpg

Maybe Pucino shouldn't have lost to the 14th seeded Maryland kid not once but twice. 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chestcrusher said:

Maybe Pucino shouldn't have lost to the 14th seeded Maryland kid not once but twice. 

The whole body of work counts. Pucino beat him in the dual. Tell me who you think had a better case for an At-Large bid at 141 (besides Cael Happel). That way I have a target to shoot down.

I've put up Danny's numbers and case already:

Danny Pucino, 141, University of ILLINOIS. Before the B1G tournament, he had a 13-7 record against D1 competition. He was #24 in both the RPI and Coaches' Poll. Solidly within the benchmarks.

He's Italian.

He has beaten the following wrestlers already in the field: Northwestern's Frankie Tal-Shahar (5th BTT), Purdue's Parker Filius (4th BTT), and Kal Miller of Maryland (9th BTT). 

Additionally, he beat Javion Jones of NIU (3rd MAC) head to head, and Jones will be in the 141 at large pool. This was by a solid 4-1 score.

Six of his nine losses are to wrestlers who are currently top twelve in the weight at wrestlestat.com. His two worst losses are to fellows who won auto bids to the NCAA Tournament (Miller, 9th at BTT; Zargo, 7th at BTT).

His drawback is not placing in the BTT in the spot right after the auto qualifier (10th).

Only 2 at large selections for the ACC. They had a rather chalky tournament and pretty good allocations but is anyone surprised the number isn't higher? By comparison:

Big12 = 13 (+65 allocations)
Big Ten = 11 (+88)
EIWA = 10 (+45)
MAC = 4 (+23)
Pac12 = 4 (+19)
SoCon = 4 (+12)
ACC = 2 (+33)

As an example, the kid from Rider who got Pucino's bid lost in the MAC tournament to a guy Danny beat 4-1. Then the Rider kid medical forfeited out of the MAC tournament.

The Rider lad also lost to a 5-4 wrestler by tech fall, got beaten by Rutger's backup 133 pounder, lost to multiple people who didn't make the NCAA tournament, and the only person I could identify him beating who earned an auto bid is a guy Pucino pinned, while Danny beat two other qualifiers and had a much more difficult schedule. Yes, I am pissed and ...

I dissent.

• Fire 1

read the formula and the criteria to figure out why your kid missed out. it's almost entirely objective. having a .550 season in the B1G and losing to all of the AQs you faced will fare worse than a hypothetical top seed in the MAC with a .710 record who lost in the final to the 2 seed but won the regular season matchup even if you think the 11th best guy in B1G would win H2H. 

Furman beat Stefanik. Berreyesa beat Eischens. The losing wrestlers are going to NCAAs and the winners aren't because of everything else that happened over the course of the season.

The RPI on that chart appears to be pre-tournament; Olivieri is behind all of the guys on the current WrestleStat approximation. He probably got hammered in the latest CR as well (which WS doesn't have an update on AFAIK). With wins over 3 EIWA guys going to the tournament, a top 20 RPI and a .714 win%, Bucknell's Miller looks like he got jobbed more than the B1G snubs.

image.png.6f1da965960afaa6155c1bde23ebdcd8.png

Edited by ugarles
grammar

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Only 2 at large selections for the ACC. They had a rather chalky tournament and pretty good allocations but is anyone surprised the number isn't higher? By comparison:

Big12 = 13 (+65 allocations)
Big Ten = 11 (+88)
EIWA = 10 (+45)
MAC = 4 (+23)
Pac12 = 4 (+19)
SoCon = 4 (+12)
ACC = 2 (+33)

ACC is almost always the most chalky conference…just look at how few of their guys are in the police blotter…

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

As an example, the kid from Rider who got Pucino's bid lost in the MAC tournament to a guy Danny beat 4-1. Then the Rider kid medical forfeited out of the MAC tournament.

The Rider lad also lost to a 5-4 wrestler by tech fall, got beaten by Rutger's backup 133 pounder, lost to multiple people who didn't make the NCAA tournament, and the only person I could identify him beating who earned an auto bid is a guy Pucino pinned, while Danny beat two other qualifiers and had a much more difficult schedule. Yes, I am pissed and ...

I dissent.

Sounds like Olivieri should have wrestled in the Rider dual

I’ll list one that shocked me, Max Shaw getting in at 197. 14-10 on the year. Best win was probably an 8-4 decision over Levi Hopkins of Campbell. I don’t mean this offensively to Hopkins, but really just no notable wins that jump out. Finished dead last in the ACC and was the 6 seed in the ACC tournament. He was the only UNC wrestler to lose in the dual against Duke (wrestlestat has the Duke wrestler ranked 80th). Followed this up by going 0-2 in the ACC tournament. To his credit he doesn’t get beat bad by good wrestlers honestly, but he also doesn’t win against them either.

Admittedly, I haven’t followed college wrestling as closely as I have in the past (job and young kids keep me busy), but wow 197 must not have had much depth this year. 

Edited by goheels1812