Most underrated wrestler in 2023

peanut

44 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

The Cardenas from Stanford. In handicapping horse races, one of the most important words is "improving". I think that's true in wrestling as well.

I think the only place he was underrated was his own workout room - and even that was more about considering whether or not to redshirt him or start the clock this year. One loss and wins over Gfeller and Kraisser, not to mention the guy starting ahead of him? The only way starting Daracott makes sense is if Koll was looking ahead to when he thought he'd have the best possible team and then ultimately deciding to just put his best guy out there. 

I'm going to put in a vote for the Cardenas from Cornell. He couldn't even crack WIN's top 20 until beating Beard at EIWA. I was one of the people underrating him. He didn't lose matches he should win but I didn't think he had a tough enough schedule to prove he could hang with the top 10 or was aggressive enough to pull off upsets. I also said that I thought he needed to expand his set of scoring moves beyond his incredible blast double but Beard couldn't defend it so what do I know.

Edited by ugarles
added some color to why Jacob was underrated then fixed a mistake
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, Southend said:

Being underrated seems to be a relative term here. Just mentioning anyone in the Big Ten conference is a little silly. No way can any wrestler escape the highly visible national stage ,unlike any other,these guys are on.Most people on here know the wrestlers like the back of their hands. But  We see it every year , where someone from a low profile program hammers their way to the top or near the top of the podium. And very few here know where they came from ,until it happens. And it ain’t guys from the highly visible Big Ten.

Agreed ! The council here should hold votes for the definition of underrated, sleeper, and dark horse. Let me suggest a definitions methodology. We each get a certain number of votes to distribute across as many definitions as we can create for the terms underrated, sleeper, and dark horse . The number of points you get to allocate  will be one less than the number of definitions for that term. Each person may then allocate his points however he sees fit. For example, my two cents “underrated”:

1) has a ranking below 6 presently and is better than 6

2) has defeated multiple guys ranked in the top 10 and isn’t in the top 10

3) has not been discussed by we the masterminds here much 

4) is from an obscure conference like MAC or SoCon 

5) has very few losses and has wrestled highly competitive opposition all year but isn’t ranked accordingly 

you get 4 points (5-1=4)

I allocate 2 points to #3 and 2 points to #5

Hahaha. This is how my condo building votes. Everyone under 35 got together over beers and determined all the possible ways the older folks in the building would vote for candidates to waste our money. We destroyed the parties involved with this voting method which was in our bylaws. The woman we ousted recently moved from the building. What a relief. She cost us over $400,000 in insurance claims for a $4 million building. 

Anyone interested ? Bueller ?

Adonyian

I think has shot to win tourney on bottom half that bracket. Gets finals anything happens. I think quarters will tell his story.

Poulin.

Lot people were giving up on him as you tube sensation. Won big 12. I think tough bracket but 3 more years to gain weight and strength for the weight.

Griffith.

I don't care he lost he shows up in March . Im 0-2 betting he will not. I still pick Carr. But im sure isu dint like that draw.

Ailerez 

Probably spelt wrong 141 for colorodo.

I know hes #1 but not much hype. I didnt follow him before this year. Kid he good all positions and is special. I expect to win. Was he this good in high scool?

Trey Munoz 24-1

Tough Pinto early. But may make it deep. Brooks is champ again 

Edited by cangemi