Can we finally get rid of ankle bands

Ponzi

Speaking of a non-problem that should be solved: Can we do away with ankle bands?  They are so amateurish.

Instead of each wrestler having to don the bands pre-match, each team could simply supply the ref with a wrist band that matches their singlet. (At tournaments, each wrestler could hand the ref a matching wrist band.

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

Speaking of a non-problem that should be solved: Can we do away with ankle bands?  They are so amateurish.

Instead of each wrestler having to don the bands pre-match, each team could simply supply the ref with a wrist band that matches their singlet. (At tournaments, each wrestler could hand the ref a matching wrist band.

But then how would Jason Nolf have demonstrated his monastic attention to detai?

• Fire 5

Ankle bands are very silly. This is especially true for duals. At the BTT when you have multiple teams wearing black singlets, I could dig the armbands idea. With 14 teams, though, somebody will get stuck with turquoise or pink.

Another change I'd like to see is padding of some sort--even strips of carpeting--around the mats. Presently, you have wrestling mat or hardwood floor. And the circle is just big enough that wrestlers are about a body-length away from the floor at the edge of the circle.

It's too late for Yahya Thomas, but maybe the next guy doesn't hit his head with a loud thud on the basketball court. That was gruesome.

• Fire 3

Ankle bands are very silly. This is especially true for duals. At the BTT when you have multiple teams wearing black singlets, I could dig the armbands idea. With 14 teams, though, somebody will get stuck with turquoise or pink.
Another change I'd like to see is padding of some sort--even strips of carpeting--around the mats. Presently, you have wrestling mat or hardwood floor. And the circle is just big enough that wrestlers are about a body-length away from the floor at the edge of the circle.
It's too late for Yahya Thomas, but maybe the next guy doesn't hit his head with a loud thud on the basketball court. That was gruesome.

The rulebook currently specifies a 5-foot distance between the outer circle and the edge of the mat (or the outer circle on adjoining mats).

58c193f480623dad299ae0c88e02aa9d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 2

47 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

No, because it's not as simple as you think it is. Having reffed, your mind is conditioned to red/green, right/left and connected to the scorers table,  the scoreboard, and the ankles of the wrestlers to insure you have the right wrestler scoring. It might seem cool to the fan, but changing out colors every match at a tournament would be an absolute nightmare. People would be yelling all day long that the score was wrong and coaches would need 17 bricks to get things right. 

• Fire 17

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Ponzi said:

Great plan.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 9.08.58 AM.png

• Haha 6

56 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

I say, stand pat on the ankle bands... why are "we" looking at a NON-problem, seeking a solution?

???

D3

We are the board, this is what we do, we look for problems that don't exist and we solve them.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PencilNeck said:

I had a high school teammate who was color blind to the point where when he was the first one on the mat he wouldn't know which set of bands to put on, so maybe red and green aren't the best two colors to use.

Yes, red/green colorblindness is fairly common among men, which is one reason why the red light at an intersection is always at the top of the three.  Professionals who design computer interfaces need to be aware of this too.  

When I was officiating I always instructed the table workers to give the red ankle band to any wrestler with a red singlet (and conversely, although green singlets are relatively uncommon, at least in Western PA).  And when two kids had similar singlets they both needed to wear two bands. And a senior official told me when I was starting out that, although for duals home is traditionally green, you can just decide at the beginning of the event that home is going to wear red all night if that matches their singlet.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Great plan.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 9.08.58 AM.png

Well, if the singlets are sometimes the same color, the wristbands could have a letter, too. For instance, Iowa could use a black band with a yellow "I". Penn State could have a dark blue band with a white "P."

2 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

Well, if the singlets are sometimes the same color, the wristbands could have a letter, too. For instance, Iowa could use a black band with a yellow "I". Penn State could have a dark blue band with a white "P."

Have you ever seen the matside tower scoreboards?  The ones with red and green lights that signify who has how many points and who has riding time?

Give it up, dude.

• Fire 5

1 hour ago, ionel said:

We are the board, this is what we do, we look for problems that don't exist and we solve them.  

Testify.  And if necessary, we create problems to solve or not solve.

I always loved the line in the Bond movie "Licence to Kill".  Bond is up in the office of the bad guy with the lizard on his shoulder.  A bunch of the bad guy's henchmen are around.  Bad guy asks Bond what he's doing on his island.  Bond says looking for a job.  Bad guy says you would need skills I don't already have.  Bond looks around at the henchmen and says that shouldn't be too hard.  Bad guy asks Bond what skills he has.  Bond says I help people with problems.  Bad guy says, so you're a problem solver.  Bond says "No, more of a problem eliminator".  Great line.  I worked with lots of problem creators, some problem solvers, and dang few problem eliminators.

• Fire 4