PSU next year at 125, 133, and 197

peanut

1 hour ago, peanut said:

Who will fill those spots?

At 125, Robbie Howard is injured I assume, and Steen returns. Not sure what's going on with 133 and 197.

Howard will be back at '25. 

'33...they've got like 9 kids who could Wrestle it. Maybe David Evans wrestles '33 next year. I don't know. I suspect they'll be just fine.

6 hours ago, peanut said:

Who will fill those spots?

At 125, Robbie Howard is injured I assume, and Steen returns. Not sure what's going on with 133 and 197.

Howard will be either the 125 or 133 and has 4 years of eligibility left somehow, the reason he kept getting reinjured is bc he never had surgery on the shoulder and after this most recent set back he finally did , probably see him back around January…could be brooks moving up to 197 next year 

29 minutes ago, MLB9 said:

Have to think there will be a transfer for at least one of those weights. 

They have 4x Michigan state champ Braden Davis coming in ,plus Robert Howard and betancourt who transferred from Ohio State and steen , doubtful they pick someone else up unless one of them leaves , they also have another  recruit 3x pa state placer and 2023 state champ Cael nasdeo he just won at 121 

Edited by Antitroll2828

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Howard bumps up to 133. Davis at 125. Steen should never sniff the lineup again barring multiple horrible injuries. 

hurtful - guys can develop in a room like that and a year or two of maturity and weight training can be impactful

47 minutes ago, Elevator said:

hurtful - guys can develop in a room like that and a year or two of maturity and weight training can be impactful

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Wishful thinking IMO. Maybe on a lower tier team but not a team like Penn State. 

What lower tier teams have a room like that?

55 minutes ago, Elevator said:

He's been "in the room" for two years.  Compare his development with Ungar (who beat him senior year for the PA title).

• Fire 1

I think their 125/133 will be some combination of incoming frosh Braeden Davis, Robbie Howard, Baylor Shunk, Gary Steen, or David Evans.

My honest preference would actually be for Beau Bartlett to make the drop to 133, but that also leaves a large hole at 141 too.

I am not sold on Howard being up to snuff at either 125 or 133.  We haven't seen him healthy since mid-high school so it is hard to say.

At 197 I think Brooks should go up.  Then they have a few options at 184.  Donavan Ball, Lucas Cochran, or incoming true frosh Josh Barr.

Starocci has already said his intention is to go 74 KG for OTT right after 2024 NCAAs so 184 is not an option for him.

That leaves us with what I think is our most likely lineup, with thr caveat that both Howard and Brooks likely get to choose their weight

125 - Howard, Steen/Shunk

133 - Howard, Evans/Shunk

141 - Bartlett

149 - Van Ness

157 - Bearclaw/Lee/Lee (Haines redshirt to grow in to 165/174)

165 - Facundo (I believe Haines and Facundo are the 165/174 guys after 2024)

174 - Starocci

184 - Brooks, Ball/Chochran

197 - Brooks, Chochran/Ball

285 - Kerkvliet

I think we might see Seth Nevills transfer out to SDSU for his final year(s - he could have two left if he chose).  Just a hunch.

Add in the additional caveats that if Davis, Kasak, and Barr will be given the Haines treatment with ample opportunity to prove that they deserve a shot at 125/133, 157, and 184 as well.  In the case of Barr it relies heavily(entirely) on Brooks going 197.  In the case of Kasak it relies heavily on Haines redshirtting.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

They have 4x Michigan state champ Braden Davis coming in ,plus Robert Howard and betancourt who transferred from Ohio State and steen , doubtful they pick someone else up unless one of them leaves , they also have another  recruit 3x pa state placer and 2023 state champ Cael nasdeo he just won at 121 

Bettancourt is not any good. Doubt he's any better than Steen

38 minutes ago, FearTheTurtle said:

IMO, Starocci can win 184 and maintain whatever weight he wants for OTT

I assume that is what they will do to get another hammer in the middle of the lineup somewhere. 

PK and Hidlay would absolutely manhandle a Starocci that is managing his weight to make 74 KG while wrestling 184lbs. 

Hidlay is a full-sized 86 KG (189lber).  PK isn't as thick, but is a little longer.

For Starocci to be within a manageable distance of 74 KG (163lbs) he will need to be keeping it on the lighter side of things to even maintain 174lbs.  Fortunately for him, I anticipate Lewis to be doing the same thing.  If Lewis decides he isn't going to go for 74 KG glory as well and he stays a full 174lbs, Starocci is going to have a tough time with him, too.

43 minutes ago, FearTheTurtle said:

IMO, Starocci can win 184 and maintain whatever weight he wants for OTT

I assume that is what they will do to get another hammer in the middle of the lineup somewhere. 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

PK and Hidlay would absolutely manhandle a Starocci that is managing his weight to make 74 KG while wrestling 184lbs. 

Hidlay is a full-sized 86 KG (189lber).  PK isn't as thick, but is a little longer.

For Starocci to be within a manageable distance of 74 KG (163lbs) he will need to be keeping it on the lighter side of things to even maintain 174lbs.  Fortunately for him, I anticipate Lewis to be doing the same thing.  If Lewis decides he isn't going to go for 74 KG glory as well and he stays a full 174lbs, Starocci is going to have a tough time with him, too.

All a nonfactor either way as Starocci has already stated he will be going 174lbs next season as well.

1 minute ago, FearTheTurtle said:

Well I hope I am wrong because surely Starocci vs Hidlay would be the most boring match in the history of the sport 

We did see a preview of Starocci at 86 KG already before.  He wasn't able to utilize a length advantage and did not have a strength advantage either when he went 0-2 st the 86 KG OTT.  He lost to Bo Nickal (6-1) and Myles Martin (5-2).  The same Myles Martin that controlled Starocci in his 5-2 win was very much controlled a few months later by Hidlay via 9-5 decision.

Freestyle and Folkstyle are different in many ways, however they both exist with weight classes as a determining and separating criteria.  Weight class exist for a reason.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

We did see a preview of Starocci at 86 KG already before.  He wasn't able to utilize a length advantage and did not have a strength advantage either when he went 0-2 st the 86 KG OTT.  He lost to Bo Nickal (6-1) and Myles Martin (5-2).  The same Myles Martin that controlled Starocci in his 5-2 win was very much controlled a few months later by Hidlay via 9-5 decision.

Freestyle and Folkstyle are different in many ways, however they both exist with weight classes as a determining and separating criteria.  Weight class exist for a reason.

Well yea but either myles Martin or Bo could win ncaa tourney at 184 next year too. I get it, would be tough to deal with a monster like hidlay but I think he would win the match. I just don’t want to watch it. I also think nobody cares what I think and duh yea he will probably be 174 next year. 

Starocci is big for 174 and WAY too big for 74. He’s a tweener and needs to embrace it… maybe goes 184 next year and cuts down to 79 @ WTT after taking lumps at 86. Just sucks thanks IOC for ruining everything.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

Starocci is big for 174 and WAY too big for 74. He’s a tweener and needs to embrace it… maybe goes 184 next year and cuts down to 79 @ WTT after taking lumps at 86. Just sucks thanks IOC for ruining everything.

Starocci has already 'made it clear' he us going 74 KG for OTT and 174lbs next season.

I do agree with you on what would appear to be the more physically healthy option.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think their 125/133 will be some combination of incoming frosh Braeden Davis, Robbie Howard, Baylor Shunk, Gary Steen, or David Evans.

My honest preference would actually be for Beau Bartlett to make the drop to 133, but that also leaves a large hole at 141 too.

I am not sold on Howard being up to snuff at either 125 or 133.  We haven't seen him healthy since mid-high school so it is hard to say.

At 197 I think Brooks should go up.  Then they have a few options at 184.  Donavan Ball, Lucas Cochran, or incoming true frosh Josh Barr.

Starocci has already said his intention is to go 74 KG for OTT right after 2024 NCAAs so 184 is not an option for him.

That leaves us with what I think is our most likely lineup, with thr caveat that both Howard and Brooks likely get to choose their weight

125 - Howard, Steen/Shunk

133 - Howard, Evans/Shunk

141 - Bartlett

149 - Van Ness

157 - Bearclaw/Lee/Lee (Haines redshirt to grow in to 165/174)

165 - Facundo (I believe Haines and Facundo are the 165/174 guys after 2024)

174 - Starocci

184 - Brooks, Ball/Chochran

197 - Brooks, Chochran/Ball

285 - Kerkvliet

I think we might see Seth Nevills transfer out to SDSU for his final year(s - he could have two left if he chose).  Just a hunch.

Add in the additional caveats that if Davis, Kasak, and Barr will be given the Haines treatment with ample opportunity to prove that they deserve a shot at 125/133, 157, and 184 as well.  In the case of Barr it relies heavily(entirely) on Brooks going 197.  In the case of Kasak it relies heavily on Haines redshirtting.

We will welcome Nevills with open arms

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Go to ~5:00 minutes in for the actual words from Starocci's mouth...

https://www.flowrestling.org/people/5933899-jordan-burroughs/video?playing=8046581

I remember chuckling when he said that and thinking “surely he’s not going to seriously attempt to follow through on that after a couple years of growth.” But hey if he wants to shrink down then go for it. His body, his choice. I’ll take Dake by bomb and JB by double until proven otherwise

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet