Chances of 10 pins in NCAA Finals by Medicinnabon

MedicineMan

I mean, everyone is capable of getting pinned or self-pinning for that matter.  I know it's entirely possible and I'd love to see it happen, just once, starting with Spencer Lee getting stuck by Liam Cronin, in the first period, in :06.

(I hope Jimmy doesn't get upset by me stealing his MO, but my pal, @ionel told me I could get my numbers up this way)

croninpinsspencer.thumb.jpg.073da22f7968947ad8b33dd6690ba4b6.jpg

• Fire 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ionel said:

5 in 1933.

1933 had five pinfalls in eight weight classes.

1955 also had five pinfalls, but in ten weight classes.

But bouts were longer then. For example, one of the 1933 pinfalls occurred at 12:12.

In the 10 weight, 7 minute era (1982 to present) the most was two pinfalls in 1987 and again in 2011.

The shortening of matches led to a big drop in finals pinfalls. It has been three tournaments without a pinfall in the finals. If there are none this year it will tie the longest streak of tournaments without a pinfall (1974-1977, 1994-1997, 2003-2006).

• Fire 4

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

But bouts were longer then. For example, one of the 1933 pinfalls occurred at 12:12.

In the 10 weight, 7 minute era (1982 to present) the most was two pinfalls in 1987 and again in 2011.

The shortening of matches led to a big drop in finals pinfalls. It has been three tournaments without a pinfall in the finals. If there are none this year it will tie the longest streak of tournaments without a pinfall (1974-1977, 1994-1997, 2003-2006).

You are mistaken again sir, there were no "pinfall" in 1933 nor were there any in 1955.   Report of the first mysterious "pinfall" did not occur until mid/late 60s in the back woods of Pennsylvania.  But if a pinfalls in the woods and no one is there to see it ... 

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Pinfall

Show me on the bracket where it says "pinfall."  Come on just humor me with a little Missouri.  

Ohh and no help from the MedicineMan.

Edited by ionel

13 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think the most significant change regarding 1982 was that Mean Gene the Pinning Machine had used up his eligibility. '81 was fairly noteworthy with Mills, the Banach brothers, and Ricky Stewart all winning by fall in the finals. 2 of those falls were over future multi time World/Olympic Gold medalists as well (Stewart over Dave Schultz and Lou Banach pinning Bruce Baumgartner). 

On 3/12/2023 at 10:31 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Can't they just be pins or falls.....what is a pinfall?  (rhetorical question)

Drive Me Crazy GIFs | Tenor

25 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Can't they just be pins or falls.....what is a pinfall?  (rhetorical question)

Drive Me Crazy GIFs | Tenor

I am not sure what it is about pinfall that I love so much, but then who can explain love? Maybe because it seems old fashioned and archaic to me, even if it is neither. I just love it. And that it drives @ionel to distraction is just a bonus.

By the way, why is fall acceptible? Wrestlers fon't fall. Fall implies no outside agency. A fall is an accident. A fall is something we inflict on ourselves. A fall is preceeded by a trip. And followed by a broken hip. I have talked myself into pinfall is superior to fall.

55 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am not sure what it is about pinfall that I love so much, but then who can explain love? Maybe because it seems old fashioned and archaic to me, even if it is neither. I just love it. And that it drives @ionel to distraction is just a bonus.

By the way, why is fall acceptible? Wrestlers fon't fall. Fall implies no outside agency. A fall is an accident. A fall is something we inflict on ourselves. A fall is preceeded by a trip. And followed by a broken hip. I have talked myself into pinfall is superior to fall.

This is interesting stuff. Is the correct term Pin Shoulders, Shoulders Pinned, Pin Back, Back Pin?

I Don't Agree With What I Posted