PIAA State Championship Thoughts?

I attended the PIAA state championships this weekend and had a couple comments or thoughts on the tournament. (Note: I was only in attendance for the AAA portion of the event)

1. I see a lot about attendance being so low for the state tournament while I agree, I felt that this years attendance was better than last years. I have no data to prove that just how I felt by being in the Giant Center and looking around.

2. The depth of the tournament was incredible, multiple returning state champions did not even make the finals and their were other that were knocked off in the finals. Athletes are getting much better at younger ages.

3. PIAA needs to go back to doing a one mat final for those wrestlers. It is a shame that every placing match is happening at once.

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

So are you intent on adding a 4th day?

No I understand the limitations to having a one mat final again and I dont suspect anything will change as the logistical conflicts that it brings. It just seems like a shame and something that other states are able to provide that the PIAA cannot. Overall, the state tournament is a great experience and I have no missed one in 15 years because of how great that the tournament and wrestling is. 

I also wish they would go back to being able to provide physical tickets that you can buy at the Giant Center instead of the hassle of going through ticketmaster and forwarding them over to other people, but again this is not something that will change either. 

35 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Why? Maybe they could check out how Ohio does it in 3  days with 3 divisions for boys and also  the girls division now. It seemed to be very well run.

What does Ohio have to do with anything? Different venue, different bracket sizes. Check the PIAA schedule and see where there's about 5-6 more hours to do this.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:01 PM, gimpeltf said:

What does Ohio have to do with anything? Different venue, different bracket sizes. Check the PIAA schedule and see where there's about 5-6 more hours to do this.

Maybe they should change venue. Have it at Penn State. In the Bryce Jordan arena. When and where do they hold the girls state championships? 

On 3/16/2023 at 4:32 PM, Paul158 said:

Maybe they should change venue. Have it at Penn State. In the Bryce Jordan arena. When and where do they hold the girls state championships? 

In an article written in 2009, the main reason that the PIAA has not made the move to BJC is financial. They are able to rent out the Giant Center for basically nothing, this is the main reason that it will never leave. I would like to see them try and move to the BJC just to see the differential in attendance and space.

1 hour ago, JVStateChamp said:

In an article written in 2009, the main reason that the PIAA has not made the move to BJC is financial. They are able to rent out the Giant Center for basically nothing, this is the main reason that it will never leave. I would like to see them try and move to the BJC just to see the differential in attendance and space.

I figured it was probably financial . You would  sell out the BJC. But when you watch some of the other state tournaments everyone isn't there for every session. The semi's and finals are you usually packed out. I wonder what Penn State would charge for the BJC for 3 days?

I can't find a floor layout for the 1999 Championships at BJC. But the seating capacity there compared to Giant is irrelevant since even Giant doesn't come anywhere near to filling up. I know BJC isn't a hockey arena so I don't know how much floor space would be available but Giant is and could fit 8 mats like all hockey arenas can (might need to remove all boards). And then you'd be back to cost which apparently is night and day.

5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I can't find a floor layout for the 1999 Championships at BJC. But the seating capacity there compared to Giant is irrelevant since even Giant doesn't come anywhere near to filling up. I know BJC isn't a hockey arena so I don't know how much floor space would be available but Giant is and could fit 8 mats like all hockey arenas can (might need to remove all boards). And then you'd be back to cost which apparently is night and day.

I will be interested to see how the PIAA adapts to the growth of womens wrestling in the state. Will they combine AA, AAA, and womens all the same weekend and venue? These are upcoming hurdles that the PIAA will need to maneuver and consider as the vote to make womens wrestling a PIAA sport comes.

• 2 weeks later...