Alexander Solzhenitsyn

El Luchador

The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie. "One word of truth outweighs the world.

In the Soviet system people would willingly take part in obvious lies or risk harsh reprisal from the government. The government would fabricate obviously fake charges and get confessions to punish people who wouldn't fall in line or who questioned the regime. Much of this was done simply to send a message no matter how obvious the lie you better fall in line. 

This truth of the Soviet system makes Solzhenitsyn's declaration of the truth being an act of simple courage a significant understatement. 

Today we can see the foundation of this system being laid in America.  

Edited by El Luchador

46 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

Like what specifically? 

I had religion in mind.  Historically,  it has been a primary driver or cover for destroying ourselves.  I find that interesting because religions are typically benevolent and forbid such behavior.

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I had religion in mind.  Historically,  it has been a primary driver or cover for destroying ourselves.  I find that interesting because religions are typically benevolent and forbid such behavior.

Religious hierarchy hasn't always gotten it right. No doubt the human effect on religion had led to much misery. However the peaceful practice of religion has also ended in the slaughter of many by those who oppose them. The same ideology that openly lives the lies of the state,  blindly turns its eyes on the violence and oppression against those practicing their religion. 

Watch as we go forward the government force foolishness onto the people such as a dude with a dick hanging between his legs is a female then attack people who open oppose such an opinion. People whose religion views such behavior as wrong will be persecuted due to their affiliation with their religion. 

I am not a religious nut and do not go to church or anything, but struggle with people who absolutely hate religion and blame it for a lot of ill wills that were committed by HUMAN BEINGS, not the religion.  And if someone does something in the name of their religion, it isn't the religion's fault, it's the idiotic person doing it's fault.  I have yet to see any of the majority/main religions say anything but be a good human being and treat others as you want to be treated.  Are there things in religions that maybe are a little far one way (using political terms due to people turning it into that), sure, but people can be in support of treating everyone equally but disagree with people's lifestyle choices.  I disagree with one of my best friend's lifestyle choice as he is an alcoholic, but he is a great person.  Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I am not comparing alcohol addiction to say transgender, but making an overall observation...i.e., I couldn't care less if someone is a transgender or isn't, I will treat them based on who they are as a person and human being, does that mean I am all for getting transition surgery, heck no, but those two things are separate.  

Back to the point of the thread, it is scary when you are dealing with hundreds and thousands of years of culture and societal norms.  And sometimes the old ways have really messed up viewpoints and I personally can't understand how people can't see you don't kill someone who disagrees with the government, or throw someone off a building because they like to sleep with someone of the same sex as them.

Alexander was imprisoned for making a sarcastic comment on the militaries lack of preparation and competence in a personal letter to a friend.  He studied math, philosophy history and literature. He was well educated there was made a commander and received recognition for heroism on multiple occasions. He was sentenced to 8 years in a labor camp for criticism of Stalin. 

He wrote A day in the life of  Ivan Denisovich,  and The Gulag Archipelago and other books. Today in Russia his 2000 page Gulag Archipelago is required reading.