I really enjoyed the Spencer Lee era

jchapman

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

That’s too much typing. Is there a way to make it a signature? 
im actually kinda leaning to Lee takes off rest of year. 

I'm not interested in partaking of the bet myself, but a fitting signature in response might be:

"I really enjoyed the Spencer Lee Era".  

It's certainly better than "I really enjoyed the Robert E. Lee Era."

Robert E. Lee" Sticker for Sale by markus731 | Redbubble

• Haha 1

Well I feel sorry for Spencer, I kind of feel that he needs a break from wrestling for a while, I don’t know how healthy he really is. But aside from that I was pretty amazed at Iowa’s run through the backside today, Murin, Brands, and Warner, all survived the blood rounds to AA. Earlier in the year, I thought Murin would AA this year, but when I saw his draw I was thinking oh no this isn’t going to be good. But he prevailed. So congrats to him. Brands, I really didn’t think it was going to be in the cards for him, he’s been injured and just hasn’t been much of an offensive dynamo in my opinion, but wow, he got some good wins today so congrats to him. Warner, well from the beginning of the season I really thought that he was just stale, just too many years of the grind in that Iowa mat room, but he showed up and will go down as a 5 time AA. So Congrats. 
Obviously, Penn St. are just phenomenal they have 8 AA’s, and the title. Probably set a record as well. But you have to give some other teams props as well Missouri, Ohio St. and Va. Tech will all have 5 AA’s. While Nebraska and Arizona St. will have 4 each. So these teams will have 37. Which is almost half of the total AA’s this year. 

• Fire 2

It's weird to relish in Spencer and his mothers misery so much.  Iowa fans?  Obviously. Brands brothers?  I get it.  Maybe even Larry Lee with the binder thing.  But full grown adults mocking the young man's (and that's not everybody here mind you) is always weird. 

It'd be one thing if Spencer was a cocky kid, but he's almost boring in his good-guyness.  Like Metcalf earned that kind of reaction in college.

Anyway, there's a fine line in celebrating seeing something crazy (which I don't think is weird) and mocking somebody's (or their mother's?) pain.  Again, I would say there's no problem mocking Iowa fans (we earn it) or the coaches (they seem to crave it), but the athletes themselves unless they court it? Seems weird.  And a mother feeling pain for her son?  Yeesh.

Just one man's opinion.

• Fire 7

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's weird to relish in Spencer and his mothers misery so much.  Iowa fans?  Obviously. Brands brothers?  I get it.  Maybe even Larry Lee with the binder thing.  But full grown adults mocking the young man's (and that's not everybody here mind you) is always weird. 

It'd be one thing if Spencer was a cocky kid, but he's almost boring in his good-guyness.  Like Metcalf earned that kind of reaction in college.

Anyway, there's a fine line in celebrating seeing something crazy (which I don't think is weird) and mocking somebody's (or their mother's?) pain.  Again, I would say there's no problem mocking Iowa fans (we earn it) or the coaches (they seem to crave it), but the athletes themselves unless they court it? Seems weird.  And a mother feeling pain for her son?  Yeesh.

Just one man's opinion.

He’s 24. He’s still too young for humor? The last forum called Mocco the great pumpkin when his dreams were crushed. Smiles and cries-we need to embrace both. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

He’s 24. He’s still too young for humor? The last forum called Mocco the great pumpkin when his dreams were crushed. Smiles and cries-we need to embrace both. 

Meh.  Again, thin line.  Some people are very clearly relishing in his and, grosser, his mother's pain.  Mocking his wrestling style is fair game, IMO, but just drowning yourself in someone else's misery...I never found it funny.

I don't mind humor in the least, I just think it should be pointed at the people who deserve it.  If people wanted to dunk exclusively on Iowa fans and the coaches, we/they have earned that. 

Fans have rivalries with other fans, not with the athletes themselves.  I do think there are exceptions for athletes who court that.  Desanto being a recent Iowa example.

Like i said, I just think there's space to poke fun and/or celebrate the huge upset without the other stuff.  Example: someone (I think @SocraTease) posted he's still the best 1st period wrestler of all time.  Mean, funny, and in-bounds, IMO.

To each their own.  Just one man offering his thoughts.

• Fire 1

Just now, VakAttack said:

Meh.  Again, thin line.  Some people are very clearly relishing in his and, grosser, his mother's pain.  Mocking his wrestling style is fair game, IMO, but just drowning yourself in someone else's misery...I never found it funny.

I don't mind humor in the least, I just think it should be pointed at the people who deserve it.  If people wanted to dunk exclusively on Iowa fans and the coaches, we/they have earned that. 

Fans have rivalries with other fans, not with the athletes themselves.  I do think there are exceptions for athletes who court that.  Desanto being a recent Iowa example.

Like i said, I just think there's space to poke fun and/or celebrate the huge upset without the other stuff.  Example: someone (I think @SocraTease) posted he's still the best 1st period wrestler of all time.  Mean, funny, and in-bounds, IMO.

To each their own.  Just one man offering his thoughts.

The glasses destruction is going viral. It’s not quite at the Mongolian stripping protest level, but it’s the closest thing we’ve had in a while. Was the loss painful for his family? I’m sure, but that was an objectively funny reaction. You can’t stop memes, and it’s a good one. 

5 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

The glasses destruction is going viral. It’s not quite at the Mongolian stripping protest level, but it’s the closest thing we’ve had in a while. Was the loss painful for his family? I’m sure, but that was an objectively funny reaction. You can’t stop memes, and it’s a good one. 

Agreed I can't stop the memes from occurring, I'm just giving my opinion.  For people divorced from the sport, I get why it would be funny.  Stripped of the context, it's a funny thing. We're a small community, and we have the concept and know something of the players.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the argument, it's ok to disagree. 

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

I get that those near to Lee may try to Oscar slap dark humor away, but for most it's in bounds.  People will not laugh at his mother's pain, but they sure as hell will laugh at her crumpling up her glasses.

• Fire 1

It was a very exciting moment!  Ramos missed his chance in the dual but he decided he wasn't getting denied this time.  Wrestling is a sport where you are always in danger of being humbled.  For every dream crushed another comes true.  Ramos is living large!  I want to see his mom's reaction.

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

She's gonna regret that if it ends up on sports center.

Btw I know this regret from experience.* I was in the corner for a state quarter-final, and my guy executed a series of idiotic mistakes that lost him a 7 point lead, the match by pin, and team points that would have likely got us a team trophy. In disgust, I threw my glasses into the wall and had to walk around blind the rest of the tournament. My AD never let me live it down.

*Except it wasn't all over tv, twitter, and instagram.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Two of the biggest upsets in sports occurred yesterday, and both involved Purdue University.  Coincidental…I think not.  Spencer’s loss was the universe righting itself.  Spencer’s mom has Farleigh-Dickinson University to blame.  

9 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Opposing coaches might use that going forward. I could see some coaches telling recruits that if they lose they just quit. Long way from their staff proclaiming of others "They don't like tough wrestling". 

Any kid who uses that as a reason to pick their school is an idiot.