I really enjoyed the Spencer Lee era

jchapman

15 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Opposing coaches might use that going forward. I could see some coaches telling recruits that if they lose they just quit. Long way from their staff proclaiming of others "They don't like tough wrestling". 

Weird thing for them to argue after Murin's career persistence and what Warner is doing, but sure.

48 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Opposing coaches might use that going forward. I could see some coaches telling recruits that if they lose they just quit. Long way from their staff proclaiming of others "They don't like tough wrestling". 

We have watched him battle through injury for a long time now.

Go back and watch the match again. Pay attention to how he is moving early and see if you don't pick up on knee/leg problems. Saw it during the match, it was troubling. Both legs, not normal movement and driving off them. Maybe he still would have lost with healthy knees, but props to Ramos for going after it and the win. "excuses are for wusses" - I don't think we will hear them from Spencer Lee. He is a tough competitor and a class act.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

8 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

We have watched him battle through injury for a long time now.

Go back and watch the match again. Pay attention to how he is moving early and see if you don't pick up on knee/leg problems. Saw it during the match, it was troubling. Both legs, not normal movement and driving off them. Maybe he still would have lost with healthy knees, but props to Ramos for going after it and the win. "excuses are for wusses" - I don't think we will hear them from Spencer Lee. He is a tough competitor and a class act.

What I don’t get is why he has repeatedly competed through torn knee ligaments rather than take an extended period to rehab. It seems like his injuries have been mismanaged for the sake of getting him on the mat in ncaa competition. If he’s not 100%, why not take more time following last year’s surgery? 

Edited by billyhoyle

6 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

What I don’t get is why he has repeatedly competed through torn knee ligaments rather than take an extended period to rehab. It seems like his injuries have been mismanaged for the sake of getting him on the mat in ncaa competition. 

The obvious answer is he wanted to win 4 titles. And he came damned close.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The obvious answer is he wanted to win 4 titles. And he came damned close.

But shouldn’t the training staff be prioritizing long term health? Look at Burroughs-he had a knee injury, took an entire season off to recover, and came back even better.

Lee tried to compete even last year. And same for his true freshman year after the knee injury the March before.  

1 minute ago, billyhoyle said:

But shouldn’t the training staff be prioritizing long term health? Look at Burroughs-he had a knee injury, took an entire season off to recover, and came back even better.

Lee tried to compete even last year. And same for his true freshman year after the knee injury the March before.  

These seem like Soencer decisions.  It seems highly possible he didn't want to do another year of school if he could avoid it, but he was too injured after giving it a go.

32 minutes ago, d_jizzle_05 said:

Mom committing war crimes on her glasses is the last image we'll have of the Spencer Lee Era. I can't think of a better metaphor for the ethos & culture of the Brands brother's tenure at Iowa...perfectly preserved in gif Valhalla...for eternity...

Every parent of a high level wrestler knows this feeling.

The trick is to hold it inside until you get somewhere private.

• Fire 3

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

Yes. It's a bad look, yet an understandable emotion, etc. Just try and practice what we all preach - to take adversity with grace and class - at least in public! We forget these are really still kids and still forming their approach to dealing with the world.

9 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

i typically just go cry in a corner...

forealdo...

1 minute ago, Major Kong said:

Yes. It's a bad look, yet an understandable emotion, etc. Just try and practice what we all preach - to take adversity with grace and class - at least in public! We forget these are really still kids and still forming their approach to dealing with the world.

More than that, we forget that parents have their whole worlds wrapped up in their kids, sometimes in an unhealthy way.

Every loss for your child, especially those seemingly more important ones *cough*Olympic Trials*cough*, is like a red hot spear slowly entering your body.

At those points, there isn't detachment or objectivity, there is only the ability to endure. Or not.

• Fire 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I honestly felt for her when the tears started but there's an underlying anger issue going on. On another note, those of us who were already commissioned or non-commissioned officers at Spencer's age with multiple deployments under our belt find the idea of our mother's raging over a sporting event a little ridiculous. Spencer is not "a kid". 

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, d_jizzle_05 said:

I honestly felt for her when the tears started but there's an underlying anger issue going on. On another note, those of us who were already commissioned or non-commissioned officers at Spencer's age with multiple deployments under our belt find the idea of our mother's raging over a sporting event a little ridiculous. Spencer is not "a kid". 

Agree. I was actually thinking of Ramos. He barely has peach fuzz on his face! Watching his interview I thought "seems like a nice, bright kid".

21 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

More than that, we forget that parents have their whole worlds wrapped up in their kids, sometimes in an unhealthy way.

Every loss for your child, especially those seemingly more important ones *cough*Olympic Trials*cough*, is like a red hot spear slowly entering your body.

At those points, there isn't detachment or objectivity, there is only the ability to endure. Or not.

the losses do not bother me in that way...

the problem i have currently is whether or not it was right to put the ideas in their head that they could be the best on this planet...

silver will feel like a failure...

that is a hard reality that i am still coming to terms with...

11 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Everyone should have a mom like Mrs. Lee. I hope she is feeling better today, her son's journey is far from over.

Anybody making fun Lee’s mom, or criticizing her, should be ashamed. 

She has been a part of Spencer’s journey as much as he has and I can’t imagine the pain from watching her son fall short of a major goal again. 

The world would be a better place if we had more parents with her much passion. 

Anybody making fun Lee’s mom, or criticizing her, should be ashamed. 

She has been a part of Spencer’s journey as much as he has and I can’t imagine the pain from watching her son fall short of a major goal again. 

The world would be a better place if we had more parents with her much passion. 
And she can kick that person's butt!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk