Lee wrestling today?

Not134

The University of Iowa released the following statement this morning about 125 pounder Spencer Lee.

“It has been a long road of a recovery for Spencer Lee. He will medically forfeit out of the 2023 NCAA Wrestling Championships today in Tulsa.”

Spencer suffered an upset loss in the semifinal round against Matt Ramos of Purdue.  Spencer will finish in 6th place in his final NCAA tournament.  

The worst thing about this is the effect it will have on Spencer Lee himself. Unwilling or unable to face the wrestling public, he forfeits out. Unwilling or unable to compete for third place, he turns his back on the Iowa squad, which he has constantly cited as his reason for wanting to win it all. Psychological problems could be avoided by putting on the singlet and wrestling in the consis. This is called moving on with life. Forfeiting out is the wrong thing to do; it allows the loss to fester and calcify. Spencer should have chosen to wrestle to cleanse it and himself. 

• Fire 8

3 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

The University of Iowa released the following statement this morning about 125 pounder Spencer Lee.

“It has been a long road of a recovery for Spencer Lee. He will medically forfeit out of the 2023 NCAA Wrestling Championships today in Tulsa.”

Spencer suffered an upset loss in the semifinal round against Matt Ramos of Purdue.  Spencer will finish in 6th place in his final NCAA tournament.  

For me - I will not miss him at all. Its time for others to take on the 125 lb leadership role.  Sorry but I never bought into the Goat crap and everything else associated with an individual with limited one trick pony / offensive moves and questionable defense against those able to hang with him.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

The worst thing about this is the effect it will have on Spencer Lee himself. Unwilling or unable to face the wrestling public, he forfeits out. Unwilling or unable to compete for third place, he turns his back on the Iowa squad, which he has constantly cited as his reason for wanting to win it all. Psychological problems could be avoided by putting on the singlet and wrestling in the consis. This is called moving on with life. Forfeiting out is the wrong thing to do; it allows the loss to fester and calcify. Spencer should have chosen to wrestle to cleanse it and himself. 

I suspect he will be quickly forgotten for this ill advised decision. Huge mistake and a terrible way to end a successful career

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rassling said:

For me - I will not miss him at all. Its time for others to take on the 125 lb leadership role.  Sorry but I never bought into the Goat crap and everything else associated with an individual with limited one trick pony / offensive moves and questionable defense against those able to hang with him.  

You’re right. I’m just so glad I wasn’t a one trick pony like Lee. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rassling said:

I suspect he will be quickly forgotten for this ill advised decision. Huge mistake and a terrible way to end a successful career. A real competitor would finish what they started regardless of the circumstance.

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

He has to make weight, eh?  

That used to be the rule, but not anymore.  In the past, not making weight at any point of the tourney resulted in all team points being voided.  I recall Joe LeBlanc from Wyoming getting a 'pass' on the rule when he missed weight on the final day in Philly (2011).  I believe the rule was formally changed after that season.

https://gowyo.com/news/2016/6/29/577408c3e4b0bdd131ac7726_131479675871300026.aspx

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

That used to be the rule, but not anymore.  In the past, not making weight at any point of the tourney resulted in all team points being voided.

I remember Joe Leblanc from Wyoming doing this.  That has been more than a minute ago.

21 minutes ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

I don’t know. How much you want to bet he has another torn ACL? In my experience, when you have kids that have multiple ACL repairs and continue to wrestle, it’s not if they will tear it again, but when. I highly doubt he is not wrestling just because of ego.

• Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

23 minutes ago, Rassling said:

He is a many trick pony that is less than 100% with sustained excellence as a junior world champion, national champion, that has destroyed other national champions.  His response to the loss is worse than the loss with respect to 'great.'  I expect world-level results if he get those knees strong and moves over to PSU for next-level mental coaching.  His 'one trick' was soo good he rarely needed to show other tricks.  What move did he pin Ramos in?

Edited by jross

You all are ridiculous. Spencer Lee has accomplished more and worked through adversity more than all of you put together (is my bet).  The guy is freaking amazing.  You have no idea what he is dealing with.  This doesn’t in any way harm Iowa’s image.  They care for Spencer deeply, I am sure.  

Bunch of horseshit losers writing a bunch of wanna be tough guy crap on this thread.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don’t know. How much you want to bet he has another torn ACL? In my experience, when you have kids that have multiple ACL repairs and continue to wrestle, it’s not if they will tear it again, but when. I highly doubt he is not wrestling just because of ego.

Re-watch the match. See if you can pick up on leg problems early in the match. Watching it as it happened it appeared to me he was having problems with both legs. Knee or whatever, he did not have the drive with then as usual.

No surprise he is too hurt to wrestle today.

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.