Griffith hints at returning for 2024

NearFall

37 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Will he have to hit up the transfer portal as a grad student to exercise his last year of eligibility?

If he does I bet it is ASU or Penn State at 174 or Michigan at either 165 or 174.

Penn State and Michigan were both tied to him when he last entered.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

25 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If he does I bet it is ASU or Penn State at 174 or Michigan at either 165 or 174.

Where the hell does he fit into that PSU lineup?

LOL...that's more about Penn State, but they have a finalist at '57 who may not be able to stay at '57, Van Ness, a Freshmen who just took a 3rd at '49. Sealey, Barr are coming in. Starocci and Brooks are still there. Do you really want to recruit over Facundo, a really good Freshmen? On the other hand, you add Kasak in and...Facundo MIGHT be forced out of that lineup anyway.

But if his goal is to Wrestle at the next level, if he wants to Wrestle Freestyle, what better place is there than the NLWC.

ASU though, you throw him into that lineup with Teemer coming back and the young talent they've got, that's a WHOLE lot of talent up and down that lineup. Don't expect much of a drop off(if any) at 125 and they bring back everyone but McGee I believe?

Edited by scourge165

2 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Where the hell does he fit into that PSU lineup?

LOL...that's more about Penn State, but they have a finalist at '57 who may not be able to stay at '57, Van Ness, a Freshmen who just took a 3rd at '49. Sealey, Barr are coming in. Starocci and Brooks are still there. Do you really want to recruit over Facundo, a really good Freshmen? On the other hand, you add Kasak in and...Facundo MIGHT be forced out of that lineup anyway.

But if his goal is to Wrestle at the next level, if he wants to Wrestle Freestyle, what better place is there than the NLWC.

Haines, Sealy, Barr RS

Brooks to 197

Starocci to 184

Facundo/Griffith at 165/174

Not too tough to figure out.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Haines, Sealy, Barr RS

Brooks to 197

Starocci to 184

Facundo/Griffith at 165/174

Not too tough to figure out.

Starocci has made it pretty clear he's not going to 184. 

That makes it pretty tough to figure out without Facundo getting knocked out of the lineup.

42 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Starocci has made it pretty clear he's not going to 184. 

That makes it pretty tough to figure out without Facundo getting knocked out of the lineup.

I know that.  I don't think this us what would happen, just saying from a team perspective.

At his age I couldn't see a jump from 165 to 184 either.

25 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Why not knock Facundo out of the lineup?

Ew.

52 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Why not knock Facundo out of the lineup?

Why? Because he isn't in the finals like Haines?

In probably the toughest weight class and he's a Freshmen. If he gets knocked out by the wealth of prep talent you have coming in, fine. But recruiting over him when you're THEE dominant program for one year of Griffith...doesn't seem like the best idea. 

11 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Why? Because he isn't in the finals like Haines?

In probably the toughest weight class and he's a Freshmen. If he gets knocked out by the wealth of prep talent you have coming in, fine. But recruiting over him when you're THEE dominant program for one year of Griffith...doesn't seem like the best idea. 

The recruits who go to PSU know that if they don't perform, they will get recruited over. Just look at Beard and Nevills.  There's no shame in being on the bench or a depth guy for a year and then either stepping things up junior year or transferring out. 

Edited by billyhoyle

1 minute ago, billyhoyle said:

The recruits who go to PSU know that if they don't perform, they will get recruited over. Just look at Beard and Nevills.  There's no shame in being on the bench for a year and then either stepping things up junior year or transferring out. 

Right. The RECRUITS that go there. Bringing in a 6th year guy for one year after a Freshmen...who DID have a very good Freshmen year isn't a great precedent.

And Nevills got beaten out by a guy who'll use up all of his eligibility at PSU. Beard to a guy who at least had two years left. 

Facundo isn't Gary Steen and Griffith, as impressive as he is, scored 11 points this year. Now if Starocci were to go up along with Brooks, then I'd say it makes sense. Otherwise, I don't. It seems like it'd be more to keep him away from other teams than to improve your own at that point.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Right. The RECRUITS that go there. Bringing in a 6th year guy for one year after a Freshmen...who DID have a very good Freshmen year isn't a great precedent.

And Nevills got beaten out by a guy who'll use up all of his eligibility at PSU. Beard to a guy who at least had two years left. 

Facundo isn't Gary Steen and Griffith, as impressive as he is, scored 11 points this year. Now if Starocci were to go up along with Brooks, then I'd say it makes sense. Otherwise, I don't. It seems like it'd be more to keep him away from other teams than to improve your own at that point.

But your point about Griffith only being there for one year could be even more reason to bring him in.  It's not like it would be a career-ender for Facundo, and one year working with Griffith could help him perform during his Junior/Senior seasons.  He could get matches in across different weights throughout the season to give some of the other guys rest. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

What's Griffith's link to PSU and Michigan? Off the top of my head, ISU might be an interesting fit to see what comes out of working in the room with Carr, DSJ, and Metcalf but IIRC they might have a recruiting logjam around 174. Not totally sure.

1 minute ago, SunDevil said:

Big hole at 165 again next year for ASU. 

Are there concerns about conference stability in the Pac12? There are rumors that the 4 corner schools could bolt before UCLA and USC leave for the Big Ten. Wondering if Griffith will want to stay in conference if the Pac12 dissolves. Maybe it won't affect him either way, this realignment stuff can happen quickly and slowly at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Maybe he goes home to NJ to RU?

If he leaves Stanford it’ll probably be Rutgers or Michigan …Rutgers bc he ll be coming back home to NJ to work on Wall Street , or Michigan for a year to graduate school …but I’d bet he stays at Stanford and maybe moves up to 174 

• Fire 1

Ohio State gives him multiple options at 165 or 174. Ethan Smith is graduating and  Kharchla could go up to 174, take a medical RS or might not even return.

...they have a history with Stanford transfers too.

Edited by DocBB

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

What's Griffith's link to PSU and Michigan? Off the top of my head, ISU might be an interesting fit to see what comes out of working in the room with Carr, DSJ, and Metcalf but IIRC they might have a recruiting logjam around 174. Not totally sure.

I am not sure, honestly.  They were just two of the heavy names thrown out as possible destinations last time he was in the portal.