Griffith hints at returning for 2024

NearFall

My take from the interview was that he's leaning toward not wrestling in college next year but was too exhausted to be sure and needs to think about it.

What a treasure he is regardless of what he chooses.  Not trite to say he's a credit to the sport.  

• Fire 2

20 hours ago, SunDevil said:

Big hole at 165 again next year for ASU. 

At this point it's a BIG maybe, might or could.   I don't know if you saw him being interviewed after he won the 5th place match but he answered the interviewer's question about how it felt to him to have 12,000 people giving him a standing ovation and he kind of rambled on a bit but he did definitely bring up the fact that he has another year of eligibility remaining and he did mention that he might return for 2024 (or words to that effect).

I don't know if he would have to transfer elsewhere.   But I do know that Nathan Traxler had to transfer elsewhere when he wanted to use his extra year of eligibility as Stanford has some strange rules in place.  So he may be entering the TP if he does in fact utilize his last year of eligibility.  Personally I'd love to see him go to ASU if that ends up occurring.  IF that does happen then ASU's lineup for 2024 would probably be the following:

125 - Figueroa - 133 Ysaguirre - 141 - Vasquez - 149 Parco - 157 - Teemer - 165 Griffith - 174 Valencia - 184 - Montalvo - 197 Fagen? - 285 Schultz

1 hour ago, NearFall said:

125 - Figueroa - 133 Ysaguirre - 141 - Vasquez - 149 Parco - 157 - Teemer - 165 Griffith - 174 Valencia - 184 - Montalvo - 197 Fagen? - 285 Schultz

I agree with this lineup, especially with Yas going to 133. Hopefully Montalvo comes back healthy. Only Larkin and Ruiz coming in next year. Maybe they can get a 165 and 197 in the portal. Griffith fits great for that 1 year bridge. Figs was not happy how this year played out. I think it’s something to keep an eye on. 

22 hours ago, SunDevil said:

I agree with this lineup, especially with Yas going to 133. Hopefully Montalvo comes back healthy. Only Larkin and Ruiz coming in next year. Maybe they can get a 165 and 197 in the portal. Griffith fits great for that 1 year bridge. Figs was not happy how this year played out. I think it’s something to keep an eye on. 

I'd think Vasquez would have a much better shot at getting down to 133. Just the eyeball test from the stands but he seems to have a much smaller frame than Yas.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:47 PM, SunDevil said:

If I were in Figueroa's shoes I would not have been happy either.  Especially if the rumor was true that he was beating Courtney two out of three times (or thereabouts).   To me a team has to go with their best guy at each weight class even if that means not going with a three time Conference champ and the NCAA runner-up two years earlier.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, NearFall said:

If I were in Figueroa's shoes I would not have been happy either.  Especially if the rumor was true that he was beating Courtney two out of three times (or thereabouts).   To me a team has to go with their best guy at each weight class even if that means not going with a three time Conference champ and the NCAA runner-up two years earlier.

A week ago I would’ve agreed but Courtney ended up taking 3rd losing only to the eventual champ ..do you think Figs would have taken 3rd or better ?  

• Fire 1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:00 PM, nhs67 said:

Haines, Sealy, Barr RS

Brooks to 197

Starocci to 184

Facundo/Griffith at 165/174

Not too tough to figure out.

Would be real tough for Starocci to make 74 kg if he moved to 184.  That is his stated goal, the 74 kg.  It is going to be tough enough already.

Could he reevaluate his goals?  Certainly.  I'm just going off what he has said.

• Fire 1

17 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

A week ago I would’ve agreed but Courtney ended up taking 3rd losing only to the eventual champ ..do you think Figs would have taken 3rd or better ?  

Absolutely I think Figueroa would have done better.  But that is just that........what I THINK.  That and a couple of dollars MIGHT buy you a cup of coffee these days.

Secondly Courtney's semi-finals match in the consolation bracket was a match against # 1 ranked Spencer Lee.   Courtney got past that match only because Lee forfeited out of the tournament after being upset by Ramos.

And I stand by what I wrote here earlier.  If you have two talented guys in the same weight class and one of those two beats the other guy more often than not than the winner of those matches is who you should go with regardless of their academic class year.

I would think that someone with a degree from Stanford would lean toward graduate work at Michigan versus PSU or Iowa.  Yeah, I know RW opted for Iowa, but I think Griffith has an eye for his future out of wrestling.

1 hour ago, RYou said:

I would think that someone with a degree from Stanford would lean toward graduate work at Michigan versus PSU or Iowa.  Yeah, I know RW opted for Iowa, but I think Griffith has an eye for his future out of wrestling.

Yep - exactly my point on  another thread. Similar to Finesilver transferring from Duke to Michigan. It will depend on what he wants out of his last year - if he is serious about winning another NCAA title I see it being where he has guys around his weight that will be great workout partners and good coaching and he does one of those fake programs to focus only on wrestling - which is very different from Stanford. If it's  a masters/doctoral program with good wrestling as well, it narrows the choices.  A degree from Stanford, his connections and his name will get him a great job, which makes it a difficult decision. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐