Something the NCAA championships don't need tonight

SocraTease

Just now, BigRedFan said:

Doubtful.  

Well, maybe, maybe not. But I see no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt- and his attendance wasn't the circus we feared it would be. 

Let's put it another way. Our sport can use any shred of exposure and validity it can get. The presence of a former president is not a bad thing- even when that man is as polarizing as Trump.

3 minutes ago, Pipewrench said:

Nah,he showed up to promote himself.  It's what he does.  

Please don't put me in a position where I feel compelled to defend Donald Trump. Again, I loathe everything the man stands for. But I, for one, am willing to give him a pass on this, and assume his intentions were pure. 

7 minutes ago, Pipewrench said:

Nah,he showed up to promote himself.  It's what he does.  

Trump has a long history of being interested in wrestling, IIRC. Does he also promote himself when he engages with wrestling? I'm sure he does, to varying degrees. But it's what politicians do. I think Trump must have a genuine interest in wrestling because it would have been easy for him to ignore it, like nearly all politicians do.

Edited by peanut

3 minutes ago, Natty Boh Army said:

Please don't put me in a position where I feel compelled to defend Donald Trump. Again, I loathe everything the man stands for. But I, for one, am willing to give him a pass on this, and assume his intentions were pure. 

100%. Wrestling is about personal accountability and he's the opposite of that. But at the same time, I welcome anyone who wants to become a new fan of our sport.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, peanut said:

Trump has a long history of being interested in wrestling, IIRC. Does he also promote himself when he engages with wrestling? I'm sure he does, to varying degrees. But it's what politicians do. At any rate, nearly all politicians ignore wrestling entirely.

It's that "other" wrestling he has a history of interest in. You know, the fake kind.

7 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I sense that you might know less than nothing about Socrates, his pupil,Plato (who was the one to essentially make him famous through his written dialogues), or philosophy.

Socrates at least knew (or, more likely, claimed ironically) that he knew nothing.   

Many hated him because he revealed through discussion, dialogue, and debate that the politicians, priests, and poets of his polis (city state) didn't know what they were talking about, and they took revenge on a man who encouraged others to think for themselves.   He also didn't fear death and was willing to die for the truth.

The Socratic dialogue and dialectic has been justifiably of great value to western forms of learning form universities to law schools.

Socrates survives through his genius.  Those who hated him and helped to put him to death do not.

PS: Socrates influenced positively lots of important historical figures like Martin Luther King.   He also generally stood for the values of free speech and thought.  His politics can be admittedly questioned, but that's a whole other matter.  It's good to see a few others interested in standing up for freedom of expression in a time when that is threatened in so many different ways: cancel culture, book bans, etc.  I was simply reporting a relevant news story during the "down time" between sessions in the tournament.   If that feels threatening to anyone, well, just skip the thread and enjoy the action later.  

Hey, I know you.  So-Crates.  I saw that movie.

Like Francine Lawrence (Gidget) said... "I agree with Plato, life's a gas man."

Now for a little seriousness:

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates

Isn't it amazing how so many men of wisdom are derided during their own time?  Too many think that's only today's result of social media, TV "news", and big money in politics and everything else.  It's been going on for at least 2500 years.  I suspect it's worse today than ever before.

1 minute ago, Major Kong said:

It's that "other" wrestling he has a history of interest in. You know, the fake kind.

He seems to like Pro Wrestling and MMA as well. But he gave a medal to Gable. I feel like there have been other signs that he genuinely appreciates wrestling to some extent, but I can't think of them at the moment. But maybe I'm not thinking correctly.

1 minute ago, Major Kong said:

Aww.   someone got a boo boo from mean old Trump.   

2 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

This is your proof? LOL.

It's a quote from the man himself,       LOL   It's funny watching you get all woked up.  

11 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Aww.   someone got a boo boo from mean old Trump.   

It's a quote from the man himself,       LOL   It's funny watching you get all woked up.  

If Trump wrestled, there would be evidence. There would be a newspaper article that mentioned his name, a yearbook team photo, a former teammate saying he was on the team, something..... Everyone who's ever wrestled has a photo of themselves in a singlet - where's Trump's?

Until someone can show proof he was on a wrestling team, I'm not buying it.

• Fire 1