Brooks post finals interview

BuckyBadger

9 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

I get that Brooks and other guys are driven by their strong faith and they are just coming off the mat with heightened emotions, but disparaging other religious beliefs? 

We're talking about a college kid who devotes a significant amount of time to wrestling. I suspect that life experience will mellow him out.

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

I get that Brooks and other guys are driven by their strong faith and they are just coming off the mat with heightened emotions, but disparaging other religious beliefs? 

Yeah, that was...strange.

They're going a little further each time.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Unfortunately that comment may get him some threats over the next week.  Disrespecting a religion doesn’t sit well with some people.  

Whaaaa?

I can't fathom anyone in the Muslim world taking offense to that and reacting poorly. It's not like he made a cartoon!

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Very, very rarely does an athlete (or celebrity) say anything interesting, especially immediately after a performance.

They are mostly known for their bodies, not their minds or creative tongues.

There are a few exceptions, and those often involve the use of humor and light heartedness or just the expression of gratitude.

Being silent is frequently a good option: it at least generates mystique or mystery or the illusion of profundity.

• Fire 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, MNRodent said:

Why would a person of faith disrespect others faith, even if it isn't exactly the same as your own?

I don't know...and it was just totally unprompted. I mean, he was asked how his faith helped him. That's a silly question to me, but most of these are.

The only somewhat interesting post-match interview was Yianni alluding to some family issues and saying it put wrestling in perspective...in so many words.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Very, very rarely does an athlete (or celebrity) say anything interesting, especially immediately after a performance.

They are mostly known for their bodies, not their minds or creative tongues.

There are a few exceptions, and those often involve the use of humor and light heartedness or just the expression of gratitude.

Being silent is frequently a good option: it at least generates mystique or mystery or the illusion of profundity.

You mean like Nicky Suriano last year?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BAC said:

Like Brooks a lot, respect his religious beliefs, grimaced when he dissed Islam. Disappointing and unnecessary.

He didn't diss,  he was apeaking his truth.  The majority of Christians view Islam as a false religion due to the fact that its adherents reject the Trinity, the divinity of Christ, the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ.   Kind of like Islamists won't wrestle Jewish in international competition.  The only difference is Christians do it on a more innocuous scale.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

He didn't diss,  he was apeaking his truth.  The majority of Christians view Islam as a false religion due to the fact that its adherents reject the Trinity, the divinity of Christ, the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ.   Kind of like Islamists won't wrestle Jewish in international competition.  The only difference is Christians do it on a more innocuous scale.  

He said “no false prophet.  No Muhammad”.  He may believe that but the Islam community sure will take that a ms a diss at their chosen faith.  If he’s willing to take the smoke that’s on him, but don’t act like he didn’t create a religious issue with his comments. 

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Fire 5

2 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I liked Bo Nickal after he pinned Miles Martin. "That's what we do at Penn State! If you want to win NCAA championships, come to Penn State."

Best recruitment ad in the universe.

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Kind of like Islamists won't wrestle Jewish in international competition. 

Another ignorant clown comment!! Unbelievable! You should be ashamed of yourself, troll. The truth is that Iranians will not wrestle Israelis in international competition. Iranians WILL wrestle Jews, just not those from Israel. Other Islamic countries wrestle Israelis and Jews from other countries. You should stop commenting on things that you are ignorant of!

• Fire 3

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I don't know...and it was just totally unprompted. I mean, he was asked how his faith helped him. That's a silly question to me, but most of these are.

The only somewhat interesting post-match interview was Yianni alluding to some family issues and saying it put wrestling in perspective...in so many words.

I must be getting soft but I liked the interviews this year.  Vito was delightful.  Glory was pure joyousness.  Starocci was his candid self.  KOT was pure grace.  Nino couldn't be more unpretentious. 

• Fire 3