Brooks post finals interview

BuckyBadger

1 minute ago, Scouts Honor said:

ok both of you listen up

numbers...189327489273489 mentioned that star was humble in his interview.

i should have said i also saw a star tweet about max dean.

very humble and praising max.

so maybe star has grown. or maybe he hasn't. maybe he was always a good person. but other people find something bad to chip away at them...

just like this whole brooks thread....

are you getting closer? 

Oh, yeah...you TOTALLY made it clear you were talking about Starocci tweeting about Max Dean in your initial post! How could ANYONE be confused about that!

And people are just going out of their way searching for things to pick at with Brooks! It's not at all about maybe having a little concern for him since he called out ALL of Islam, the notoriously forgiving religion when it comes to insulting Muhammed...

Am I get closer to what? Decoding what the hell you're trying to say? Yeah, when you give me the key. The post was ALL about Starocci...whom you did not mention AT ALL, only Max Dean who you did. I am getting closer to understanding what the hell you were talking about. Ya know what would help more? You sharing said Tweet. But...I don't actually care because I don't have any problem with Starocci...at all.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

ok both of you listen up

so maybe star has grown. or maybe he hasn't. maybe he was always a good person. but other people find something bad to chip away at them...

are you getting closer? 

I think this should effectively end the, uh, discussion.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

ok both of you listen up

are you getting closer? 

Ok yeah you weren’t very clear before…

I don’t think most people were saying Starocci was a “bad person,” just that he was arrogant.  Although he had earned the right to be.

But yeah, if you’re begging people to diss guys in general thanking God, I will say I prefer Starocci’s arrogance to the God/Jesus thanking.  He’s the one that put in the work, not God.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

i get that brooks may have crossed the line a bit..

but i can't believe that no one is calling out the other wrestlers.

it isn't just PSU that is praising God in their post match interviews..

why no mention? 

Because the other wrestlers didn't insult nearly two billion people?  Just spit-ballin' here.

• Fire 4

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

dude ... i have no idea what he said

BUT YES, PSU has gotten heat for YEARS on the forum for their JESUS ADORATION etc

so dont go there.

i agree he was out of line if he said something like that.. again i didn't watch it . just pointing out that the hate for PSU must be strong...

b/c none of the other champs were called out for mentioning jesus 

You really are that dense, aren't you?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Dark Energy said:

Christians do believe Mohamed is a false prophet.  Muslims believe that it is false that Jesus is the son of god / god in the flesh.  Duh. 

Brooks expressed a tenet of his faith.  Should he have?  I suggest no. No need to denigrate another religion - particularly on the big stage like that.  

But what he said is shared across ALL non-Muslims.  That is why they are not Muslim. 

A Muslim can be annoyed at him. But to hate him or what him injured would be ridiculous.  They would hate or want to injure all non-Muslims.

Ok...and this will invariably piss some people off, but I'll live with it. But is there maybe ONE Religion that isn't quite as understanding or logical when it comes to ANY inference Muhammad is not the one true prophet?

You're applying your rationale to their actions. And by "their," I am talking about a small number, but a MUCH bigger number than if we were talking about any other Religion and the tenants of their faith being kinda I guess dismissed for lack of a better word. 

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I'm kinda surprised NCAA Wrestling would clip this.   I mean we knew he was going to talk about God/Jesus anyway but Quint really teed him up.

Sorta hard to empathize with Amine being offended by Christians disrespecting Islam when his username is literally “MalikTheMessiah” lol 

6 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

i didn't see brooks interview. he and star were the only two i didn't watch.

but apprently praising God is pissing off more than 2 billion? b/c we deal with this every season. Im not a PSU fan, but give me a break, PSU has taken heat for this for years. Yet not one thread about the several that praised God before Brooks.

yes his comments are childish if he dissed someone else...

and scouts honor is actually a dig at russel scout

I just rewatched them all.

Glory - no (great interview!)

Vito - no (another great interview)

Alirez - no (pretty good interview)

Yianni - no, although he did kinda talk about Kyle Dake as if he was Jesus

AOC - can’t find the immediate post match interview but didn’t thank God/Jesus in his 5+ minute press interview so I’ll probably call that a no

O’Toole - same thing as AOC, I’ll call that a no as well but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong

Starocci - no

Brooks - yes

Nino - yes (just a quick “glory to God” slipped in there)

Parris - no

So looks like he was one of only 2 champs to thank God/Jesus and obviously the reason for the thread was what Brooks said specifically 

23 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

I get that Brooks and other guys are driven by their strong faith and they are just coming off the mat with heightened emotions, but disparaging other religious beliefs? 

Seems to me far too many people lost the thread of this thread. The original post was dead on. I cringed when I heard Brooks say that, it was very uncool. Just finished watching the late this morning today so well behind the curve here.

I'm not a religious person, but as far as I'm concerned the winner can thank whoever/whatever they want, and make a shout out to their faith. Obviously many of these athletes believe that their faith is a huge part of their success. Who am I to question that. I suspect faith helps you put things in perspective and helps you deal better with all the highs and lows. But that is not what this post is about. It's about Brooks disparaging the Muslim faith, plain and simple. 

One more thing: For most religions (there may be exceptions), if you are very religious then I think it's safe to say that you think your religion is the one truth and followers of all other faiths are just plain wrong. Otherwise, it's just a matter of choice, right? And if it's a matter of choice, it can't be the only truth. So I would speculate that most very religious people in their hearts agree with what Brooks said. But it's an unwritten rule that in a society such as ours that purportedly welcomes all religions, you just don't say things like that. Brooks is a young man, but old enough to know better. 

• Fire 6

***unpopular opinion alert*** Brooks seems terribly confused about the virtues associated with wrestling (thumos) and those associated Christianity (compassion). Both Achilles and Jesus embody heroic ideals, but the ideals are diametrically opposed. You don't want a turn-the-other-cheek dude defending your city, just as you don't want a drag-your-fallen-advesary-behind-your-chariot dude nursing POWs.

Edited by jackwebster

Honestly in the past I wasn’t sure if the God stuff was being encouraged by PSU coaches or something, which of course would be frowned upon to say the least being a state university.

This seems to indicate that’s not happening at least definitely not from Cael. 

Definitely some Penn Staters that seem to have no issue with his statement though.  For example this one was a little cringey IMO:

I forget which religion, but there is one where the members carry a broom with them and sweep the sidewalk in front of them as they walk so as not to kill any insects.

Some people may think this is nutty behavior. Of them, some may even feel comfortable calling them 'nuts' on live TV. Which wouldn't be very nice. Regardless, I'm a believer in protecting their right to call them 'nuts' if they so choose.

I think it would be a mean thing to say, but I don't see the cause for outrage (as popular as that seems to be these days.)

If social media has taught us one thing, it is that we have a wide variety of opinions and beliefs that can cause much friction between us. The thing we have yet to learn is that anger and hate toward those with differing opinions isn't the answer, tolerance and respect is.

We should treat those with different opinions the same way we expect to be treated. With respect rather than anger.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I forget which religion, but there is one where the members carry a broom with them and sweep the sidewalk in front of them as they walk so as not to kill any insects.

Some people may think this is nutty behavior. Of them, some may even feel comfortable calling them 'nuts' on live TV. Which wouldn't be very nice. Regardless, I'm a believer in protecting their right to call them 'nuts' if they so choose.

I think it would be a mean thing to say, but I don't see the cause for outrage (as popular as that seems to be these days.)

If social media has taught us one thing, it is that we have a wide variety of opinions and beliefs that can cause much friction between us. The thing we have yet to learn is that anger and hate toward those with differing opinions isn't the answer, tolerance and respect is.

We should treat those with different opinions the same way we expect to be treated. With respect rather than anger.

I went to a Pagan wedding once that involved jumping a broom. No lie 

4 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

A sect of Jainism from Indian still does this. 

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Honestly in the past I wasn’t sure if the God stuff was being encouraged by PSU coaches or something, which of course would be frowned upon to say the least being a state university.

This seems to indicate that’s not happening at least definitely not from Cael. 

Definitely some Penn Staters that seem to have no issue with his statement though.  For example this one was a little cringey IMO:

JBs wife also was very pleased with the interview

i think at PSU the inmates are running the asylum

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, jammen said:

How does Cael feel about Aaron "no false prophets" Brooks disparaging his religion on a live broadcast (here's looking at you Joseph Smith).

man, i thought i was going to jump in here with this one and get all the glory but there it is on page 5

You guys are all wrong.  AB=Paul of Tarsus was speaking metaphorically.  Jesus=Cael.  The Holy Spirit=PSU wrestling philosophy.   Mohammed=Tom Brands.  John the Baptist=Bo Nickal spoketh this truth in 2018, "Hey, that's expected.  That's what we do at Penn State. You come to Penn State you win big matches. You win team titles."

I Don't Agree With What I Posted