As a Penn State fan, I can't help but feel disappointed

Jimmy Cinnabon

It seems absurd to say this when Penn State won it's 10th title in 11 (contested) years...and won by 50 points over Iowa.

However, we only went 2/5 in the finals.

1. 157 - Haines loss was expected.  He's a 18 year old true freshman wrestling a 25 year old 6th year senior who is a defending national champ.  He simply got big brothered.  I think Haines will win one before he's done.
  2. 174 - Starocci.  What can you say?  He's cocky, he's brash, he also is now a 3x champ.
  3. 184 - Brooks.  He's so good.  Wish he'd tone down the preaching during the post-match interview.  The dig at Muslims was bad form, I think.
  4. HWT - Kerk took one shot and seemed to be spent.  Parris is just so much better but I think Kerk's mental game and conditioning need a lot of work.  He seemed to give up after going down 2-0.
  5. 133 - RBY.  He got owned, simple as that.  Vito was just as fast and twice as long.  RBY perhaps got a little cocky but Vito is just better.  I hope RBY comes back for another year.  Does he have another year left?

Overall, I am only about 75% happy with the way NCAAs went for Penn State.  Again, I know it seem ludicrous to whine when out of 9 wrestlers you finished 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 7th, 2nd...but it feels like a letdown.

Penn State needs to get David Carr in blue and white next year.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It seems absurd to say this when Penn State won it's 10th title in 11 (contested) years...and won by 50 points over Iowa.

1. 157 - Haines loss was expected.  He's a 18 year old true freshman wrestling a 25 year old 6th year senior who is a defending national champ.  He simply got big brothered.  I think Haines will win one before he's done.
  2. 174 - Starocci.  What can you say?  He's cocky, he's brash, he also is now a 3x champ.
  3. 184 - Brooks.  He's so good.  Wish he'd tone down the preaching during the post-match interview.  The dig at Muslims was bad form, I think.
  4. HWT - Kerk took one shot and seemed to be spent.  Parris is just so much better but I think Kerk's mental game and conditioning need a lot of work.  He seemed to give up after going down 2-0.
  5. 133 - RBY.  He got owned, simple as that.  Vito was just as fast and twice as long.  RBY perhaps got a little cocky but Vito is just better.  I hope RBY comes back for another year.  Does he have another year left?

Overall, I am only about 75% happy with the way NCAAs went for Penn State.  Again, I know it seem ludicrous to whine when out of 9 wrestlers you finished 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 7th, 2nd...but it feels like a letdown.

I'm sorry that you feel down, bro.  How do you feel about Bartlett and SVN?

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

They would probably settle for Griffith of Stanford or a rejuvenated Fecundo.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This was a normal, reasonable post...until the last line. They "NEED" to get Carr into Blue and White? No...they don't. Nobody is touching them. They'll likely win the title by as much next year as this year.

Just now, scourge165 said:

This was a normal, reasonable post...until the last line. They "NEED" to get Carr into Blue and White? No...they don't. Nobody is touching them. They'll likely win the title by as much next year as this year.

That is a bad take...assuming you'll win is why RBY is only a 2x champ.  Penn State needs to load up all the firepower they can.  Cornell has shown they have top tier talent as much as Penn State.  And Iowa will always be right there.

Just now, AgaveMaria said:

Kerk & RBY were not a surprise. Watching their earlier matches you could see the cracks to be exploited.

Kerk was not.  He was mauled twice by Parris this year.  After Vito dominated Fix I had him as the favorite but I expected it to be more a 50/50 match.  It ended up being like 90/10.

Very happy.  They both overachieved big time by taking 3rd.

But super disappointed in Kerk's effort and RBY just got taken to the woodshed.

Kerk is only a 4th year sophomore. He has time to make adjustments.

RBY has been relentlessly scouted in a super tough weight class, and has only lost once in three years. He's been magnificent. Maybe some exercise or a date with your wife might cheer you up.

• Haha 1

Just now, peanut said:

RBY has been relentlessly scouted in a super tough weight class, and has only lost once in three years. He's been magnificent. Maybe some exercise or a date with your wife might cheer you up.

Kerk needs to get his mind right.  Spend more time with Carter and Brooks.  Wearing a Jesus t-shirt isn't enough.

RBY still had a great career, just wish he finished it with a win.

That is a bad take...assuming you'll win is why RBY is only a 2x champ.  Penn State needs to load up all the firepower they can.  Cornell has shown they have top tier talent as much as Penn State.  And Iowa will always be right there.

Sure Jimmy. PSU is in a LOT of trouble if they don't add another NC. They're "only" returning their entire lineup save for RBY and adding Howard to that while Kerkvliet will be the prohibitive favorite next year, but yeah, they NEED to add Carr.

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Kerk needs to get his mind right.  Spend more time with Carter and Brooks.  Wearing a Jesus t-shirt isn't enough.

You got that right. FWIW I'm about to crack my Bible open for the first time in 20 years.

Just now, scourge165 said:

Sure Jimmy. PSU is in a LOT of trouble if they don't add another NC. They're "only" returning their entire lineup save for RBY and adding Howard to that while Kerkvliet will be the prohibitive favorite next year, but yeah, they NEED to add Carr.

Howard has had so many injuries I don't think we can count on him to last a whole season, sadly.

Is Parris a senior?  What about Hendrickson?

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Howard has had so many injuries I don't think we can count on him to last a whole season, sadly.

Is Parris a senior?  What about Hendrickson?

Yes, he's a Sr. And what about Hendrickson? 

Parris was the only guy to push Kerk this year.

And you just won a title with Steen and have about half a dozen '25 pounders coming in. And I do think you'll be able to count on him as he's actually getting it repaired.

This is actually silly. Penn State had ONE bad Championship round and returns more than ANY other team even close to them...and no, Cornell does NOT have as much top tier talent...but you know this. You HAVE to know this. That or you take neurotic to the next level. You won a NC like 35 seconds ago. You don't NEED to add National Champs right now. Hell, even if Starocci and Brooks left, you'd STILL be the favorites next year.

You make it more difficult to root for PSU Jimmy!

13 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yes, he's a Sr. And what about Hendrickson? 

Parris was the only guy to push Kerk this year.

And you just won a title with Steen and have about half a dozen '25 pounders coming in. And I do think you'll be able to count on him as he's actually getting it repaired.

This is actually silly. Penn State had ONE bad Championship round and returns more than ANY other team even close to them...and no, Cornell does NOT have as much top tier talent...but you know this. You HAVE to know this. That or you take neurotic to the next level. You won a NC like 35 seconds ago. You don't NEED to add National Champs right now. Hell, even if Starocci and Brooks left, you'd STILL be the favorites next year.

You make it more difficult to root for PSU Jimmy!

When I see Carr hanging out with the Penn Staters, it only seems natural for him to transfer tp PSU.  Plus, Carr has been at ISU for five years -- he could potentially transfer as a grad student. 

29 minutes ago, peanut said:

I just had a date with his wife and highly recommend it.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Jesus got zero escape pts.

23 minutes ago, peanut said:

When I see Carr hanging out with the Penn Staters, it only seems natural for him to transfer tp PSU.  Plus, Carr has been at ISU for five years -- he could potentially transfer as a grad student. 

Yeah, I'm not saying you turn Carr away, I'm saying you don't "need" David Carr. Also, I'd like to see him stay at ISU. They won't beat PSU, but they might- could be competitive with them(if they were to Wrestle a duel).