Fantasy pick em payouts

VakAttack

Hey all.  The payouts were never formalized in writing.  Originally I had thought $250 to the champ and $70 to second, and that's it. It was suggested we pay out to third, and go something like $200, $80, $40.

I had planned to do that, but then realized I never wrote it, and...well now I would benefit, so that feels wrong to unilaterally do. So vote here:

Option 1 $250 1st, $70 2nd

Option 2 $200 1st, $80 2nd, $40 3rd.

@Antitroll2828 @jajensen09 @GreatWhiteNorth @lu_alum @Jerry Callo @idc2 @Idaho @nhs67 @Perry @goheels1812 @MPhillips @MizzouFan01 @JVStateChamp @flyingcement

Edited by VakAttack

Ethically speaking, whatever you had most recently posted before the tournament started seems like the most legitimate way to do it. At that point, we were all on the same page.

I haven't looked back to see what that was - if I benefit or not, it doesn't matter much to me.

I'm looking forward to next year. This was my 1st year and was totally unprepared, got lucky by 'shooting from the hip' (as was recommended here.) 

Thanks everybody for letting me participate. The NCAA's were already the best 3 days of the year, this made them a little bit better!

Doesn't matter to me.  Fun contest - I moved up one spot after being in the basement last year! 

Definitely need to draft on Zoom next year & a little earlier in the day.  Here's a frustrating tidbit about the 25 minute traffic delay I got stuck in on draft night:

• I had to drive from work to pick up my daughter at gymnastics practice. 
  • When I dropped kids at school in the morning, told her that I had an important meeting at 6:30.  Make sure to be ready at the door at 5:50, so we can make it home on time.  It's typically a 25min drive from gymnastics to the house in evening traffic.
  • 20min before school ends, sent her a reminder text before Mom picks her up to drop her at gymnastics.  She confirmed she'd be ready at 5:50p after practice.
  • I leave work at 5:15p (30min drive across the Las Vegas valley from Summerlin to Henderson).  Get to gymnastics at 5:45p
  • I'm waiting in the car to pick her up after practice.  waiting... waiting... waiting.  Finally, I call her at 6:00p.
  • Me:  "Where are you?!?"   13-year old daughter:  "I wasn't feeling well, so I just had Mom bring me home."  Mind you, she made this decision 20min after she confirmed she'd be ready on-time after gymnastics.  Never occurred to her that she should let me know I don't need to go to the gym.  Had I driven straight home from work, I would have arrived at 5:45p
  • I leave the gym & get stuck behind an accident on the 215W between Henderson and Las Vegas.  GPS stated 45min delay & I hit the surface streets to cut 20min off the delay and make it home by 6:45p and start the draft at 6:50p
  • 13-year old daughter lost her iPhone and iPad for a week.

If we draft on a weekday next year, I'm taking half-day PM PTO.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 1

I’m good with what you guys at the top decide. I do it this for fun. Besides being focused on Mizzou guys it forces me to learn other teams guys that aren’t big names. IE Gavin Kine from UNC I picked him but had to look him up afterwards because I really don’t pay attention to ACC teams. I can’t wait for next years contest. Im definitely in again. 

I think Option 2 seems best.

Option one was how it was last year, though.

I honestly don't remember what was last said about it.  I actually think it was asked and nobody really responded?

I said if it can't be decided on, let the victor choose. @GreatWhiteNorth

I would be okay with that

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I can live w Option 2.  Top 3 getting paid in a 15-person competition seems reasonable.

I have been running a football pool of around 30 people for 15 yrs or so. We started with a 'winner take all' payout model. After the first five years, we switched to a top-5 payout model, and after about five more years, we switched to a top-7 or so payout model. Winner gets the biggest chunk, next person gets about half of the 1st, next gets a little less, etc. down to the last person getting their money back to break even.

The idea being that, since nobody is going to get rich, we might as well have more winners so it's more exciting for more people as the end nears. Otherwise, by the end, it's a usually 2 horse race and nobody else cares. Why not have a third of the people still in the mix?

Next year, maybe we consider adopting the 'top-4 get hardware' that the NCAA uses? Just a thought. Doesn't really apply to this year - too late to switch it now.

35 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I agree but work from the middle out. 

I've seen photos of you - you seem to be working from the middle out.

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen any photos and if that joke hits too close to home, it was completely by accident. No disrespect intended. No animals were harmed.)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen any photos and if that joke hits too close to home, it was completely by accident. I'm sure you're a wonderful looking person. No disrespect intended. No animals were harmed.)

Ooooh, just outside the 15 minute line. 

Comedy (or at least attempted comedy) is a tough business around here.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

I can't find a post where it was directly discussed.  We have some votes so far, does anybody have any objection to paying out to third?  It feels weird to me because i'm the one benefitting.  I would be paying GWN $200, Antitroll $80, and myself $40.  If anybody can find a post where I specifically said one, please send it to me.  If not, or if there is no objection, I will disburse the funds tomorrow.

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I can't find a post where it was directly discussed.  We have some votes so far, does anybody have any objection to paying out to third?  It feels weird to me because i'm the one benefitting.  I would be paying GWN $200, Antitroll $80, and myself $40.  If anybody can find a post where I specifically said one, please send it to me.  If not, or if there is no objection, I will disburse the funds tomorrow.

No issues on my end with 3rd getting paid.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Don't feel bad about benefitting as the 3rd place finisher.  The three-way payout above follows what you and I discussed prior to the draft.

image.thumb.png.f4f1e4ab31b7ff134b2d43150ff46d51.png

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen any photos and if that joke hits too close to home, it was completely by accident. No disrespect intended. No animals were harmed.)

Haha.... not offended... I am pretty thick skinned....(pun intended) 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 3/18/2023 at 11:30 PM, VakAttack said:

Hey all.  The payouts were never formalized in writing.  Originally I had thought $250 to the champ and $70 to second, and that's it. It was suggested we pay out to third, and go something like $200, $80, $40.

I had planned to do that, but then realized I never wrote it, and...well now I would benefit, so that feels wrong to unilaterally do. So vote here:

Option 1 $250 1st, $70 2nd

Option 2 $200 1st, $80 2nd, $40 3rd.

@Antitroll2828 @jajensen09 @GreatWhiteNorth @lu_alum @Jerry Callo @idc2 @Idaho @nhs67 @Perry @goheels1812 @MPhillips @MizzouFan01 @JVStateChamp @flyingcement

Who won

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

Congrats @GreatWhiteNorth  and everyone else , this was a lot of fun I hope to do it again ….managed a Team trophy with 0 champs I’ll take that any year …shout out to @VakAttack and @lu_alum for putting this together 

Honestly, I had the initial idea last year, but @lu_alum has been the engine driving us.  I truly appreciate what he's done.

• Fire 3