2023 Transfer Portal

26 minutes ago, ionel said:

What $s would Nebraska owe him?  You can take scholarship $s with you.

Scholarships are per school not per kid. So don't understand the second sentence. If you change schools you risk a different agreement at the new school.

Like they say- You can't take it with you!

Just now, gimpeltf said:

Scholarships are per school not per kid. So don't understand the second sentence. If you change schools you risk a different agreement at the new school.

Sorry can't take scholarship with you.  Autocorrect and Bob15 a bad combination. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

It's probably about NIL vs scholarship.  You can take any NIL $ with you, as the contract cannot be contingent on athletic participation.

Also, as soon as one enters the portal, the current school can immediately rescind and current scholarship.

2 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

It's probably about NIL vs scholarship.  You can take any NIL $ with you, as the contract cannot be contingent on athletic participation.

Also, as soon as one enters the portal, the current school can immediately rescind and current scholarship.

well that may depend ... let's say your NIL is with a local car dealership, that'd be hard to take with you but say Bryce Young's Dr. Pepper deal could go anywhere with him.  Very few have a national image.  

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

on whether the athlete can continue to honor their end of the contract (regardless that they no longer attend the local university).  Or the contract is severed by some other mutual agreement.

If this is a generic NIL deal then this may be true. However, a lot of NIL deals are backed by boosters of that school.... they are not taking booster backed NIL money to another school.  This is why bigger schools with a bigger donor base are able to lure better athletes.  Also, many NIL deals are one year. 

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

38 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Not to be too harsh on Burwick, but I can't imagine he has many NIL deals going (if any)

He should have gotten one from several posters in here  because they used his name 1, 349 times in a 30 page thread. Better ante up. 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 6

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

31 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Not to be too harsh on Burwick, but I can't imagine he has many NIL deals going (if any)

Burwick has had a bit of a shitty run of it, but Nebraska seems to be doing a good job developing Wrestlers. Maybe just STAY and try and win the spot? He is a good Wrestler and he was a VERY good recruit.

He transferred last year because a Wrestler who was marginally better(at BEST) transferred in. Now he'd be transferring again for Brice? 

I hope he has success, but sticking it out might be the best thing for him long term. If he were at Wisconsin(assuming he did transfer because they brought in LaMont) he'd likely have 2 years left as the starter.

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, Gus said:

Nagao would slide in very nicely for the Hawkeyes to have a 1-2-3 punch of Ayala, Nagao, Woods also. Plus you have Terry there who has consistently put out lightweight talent and shown to be one of, if not the best, lightweight coaches in the country. Not sure how he fits in with Cornell unless him or Vito is moving off of 133. It seems like it will come down to PSU and Iowa for Nagao. I don't think he can really make a wrong choice with PSU's dominance throughout the lineup and Iowa's lightweight dominance. 

1-2-3-4 with Chittum. Looks nasty, hoping it happens 

6 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Siebrecht is going 149 and Chittum will be 157.

I am not even an Iowa insider and I know that.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

Someone might want to educate us about him!

What's the deal? You think he's got a chance to win a spot this year?

Nah, I'm just busting @nhs67's balls a bit from last year when he kept insisting Reyna was a threat to take a starting spot.

Reyna is a tough kid, but never developed into a high level D1 wrestler.

Edited by VakAttack
  • Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

34 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

A guy who was wrestling at 72kg, and couldn't make 67kg for a single-weekend event, is going to wrestle at 149 for an entire season, eh?

Ok. I'll believe that when I see it.

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Is there a reason to go in the portal then go back to Minny other than more money?

This is a pretty logical outcome of NIL and the transfer portal. Student-athletes will enter the portal almost by default on an annual basis and that population will grow significantly, if for no other reason than to test the waters of  free agency  NIL. Doesn't mean every wrestler will enter the portal and even fewer will actually transfer. But pandora's box was opened and there appears to be no closing it.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

To add, look at Burwick's situation from an outside perspective. Didn't know his coach was recruiting over him, didn't enter the portal in time, lost a good chunk of the season (could have been all). It's a two-way street and therefore the student-athletes, if they prefer to choose wrestling over the name of their degree, should be as empowered as their coaches who may recruit over them, leave them, or be terminated prior to graduation.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Nah, I'm just busting @nhs67's balls a bit from last year when he kept insisting Reyna was a threat to take a starting spot.

Reyna is a tough kid, but never developed into a high level D1 wrestler.

I still believe.

#BRETLIEBER4EVA

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

This is a pretty logical outcome of NIL and the transfer portal. Student-athletes will enter the portal almost by default on an annual basis and that population will grow significantly, if for no other reason than to test the waters of  free agency  NIL. Doesn't mean every wrestler will enter the portal and even fewer will actually transfer. But pandora's box was opened and there appears to be no closing it.

Testing free agency seems about right. I heard on ESPN today that 20% of basketball players are in the portal.

• Fire 1