2023 Transfer Portal

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

You really have that little faith in Teske that you are trying to replace him with someone you didn't even know existed an hour ago?

He is an Iowa HS legend.

Santaniello could just as well Redshirt and take over in 2025. 

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You really have that little faith in Teske that you are trying to replace him with someone you didn't even know existed an hour ago?

He is an Iowa HS legend.

Anytime anyone of any quality enters the portal the Iowa fans already have him plugged into the lineup...shouldn't be long before a couple posters on here start plugging the OU wrestlers into their lineup and then showing the lineup along with the backups and the eligibility by year. 

Edit: Should have read to the end of the thread.... or maybe not. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

30 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

138-3 in high school in New Jersey.  

2× State Champ, 2× State Runner Up.  (Only one division for individuals in NJ)

133 lber who was ranked pretty high as a prospect

26 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He is an Iowa HS legend.

Lol, honestly I don't have a lot faith in Teske, but no, I just wanted to know what kind of prospect he is. 

Sounds like he's quite a talent! Hope he likes wearing black n gold 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Buford said:

Does a previous transfer alter that rule?

Starting in September, Yes.  It will require NCAA approval for a 2nd go round and transfers because of coaching change will be tough to attain.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, RYou said:

Starting in September, Yes.  It will require NCAA approval for a 2nd go round and transfers because of coaching change will be tough to attain.

For right now, though - which is what the question is for.  No.  It does not.

I do hope that there are modifications to the rule to make it easy to attain once coaches change.  A lot of reasons some of these guys go to these institutions are because of coaching, not because of the school.  The schools should understand and respect that, for all sports, that retention of coaches needs to mean something.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Joey Cruz in the portal! 

Dang, only if OU did better with their hiring process of finding a HC. So many great wrestlers went into the portal because of OUs negligence and their inability to do a good job in finding a coach. I’m not saying Kish is a bad hire, he’s a great hire; but the whole process was just a crap show. 

Also, I wonder where McHenry and Cruz may land since most of the best schools have their 25 pounder. They are both studs and I’m excited to see which program they impact! 

Minnesota has pretty much bare cupboards at 125 and 133. Pat McKee coming off major surgery and only has one year left. Eggum and Brandvold need to have Henson and Cruz on the phone ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who has had the worst off season, portal and decommitment wise:

Minnesota, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Iowa?

Probably not Northwestern, since their losses may be attributable to graduate school requirements (in addition to UofM NIL $).

I listed Iowa only because they seem to have largely been unsuccessful in the portal game despite their NIL $.

(Pastry inspired.)

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Who has had the worst off season, portal and decommitment wise:

Minnesota, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Iowa?

Probably not Northwestern, since their losses may be attributable to graduate school requirements (in addition to UofM NIL $).

I listed Iowa only because they seem to have largely been unsuccessful in the portal game despite their NIL $.

(Pastry inspired.)

This is an interesting question to delve in to.

You could ask various questions and provide your own opinion to which weight is more...
- Who lost the most
- Who lost the most years
- Who gained the most years
- Who gained the least years in comparison to the amount of years they were trying to gain
- All of this in relativity to not including that extra 'Covid' year
- What sort of morale effects do any, all, or none of these do to those squads

For example, Northwestern?  To me they only 'lost' Cannon.  DeAuggie and Davison would not be wrestling still if not for that 'extra free' year.  Add in that Cannon is still a Grad Transfer with two (2) years left, and it could be argued that they didn't actually lose anybody.

Michigan, though, even if Northwestern 'lost nobody' gained four AA years.  They lose McHenry, who I still believe could have been AA potential (At 118lbs...), but I think Horwath will slide right in for four (4) years after DeAuggie is gone.  So they didn't really 'lose' anybody.

Iowa 'lost' on five (5) AA years, at the very least by missing on Nagao and Cannon both, respectively.  If they don't get Griffith, add another AA year 'lost' to their tab.

Oklahoma on pure personnel alone is losing a lot of potential AA years.  They already have like... what... five (5) big boarders from the last two classes in the portal?  That is a damned shame because Kish is going to do great things there.

NDSU?  Them losing their head coach, who everyone at NDSU believed in from top to bottom, will be the biggest loss in the portal, because people will leave and others won't go there.  The only way that program can not enter full rebuild is if Obe is hired.  Even then, I think we will see a drastic reduction in heavyweight talent there.  Kish was their big guy coach.  He's gone.  Obe is a phenomenal lightweight coach.  We could see some improvement there (although I would have expected it by now if that were the case?).

Penn State?  They gained at least four (4) AA years in the portal and because their recruits/wrestling were(are) active on the Freestyle scene they might not lose any potential AA years either.

A lot of gain/loss is subjective to the coaching staff(s) and their creativity in being able to use gap years, redshirts, Oly-shirts, etc.  It is a reason that Penn State is in an entirely different league than every other team and the reason why Michigan, Iowa, and other schools (yes there are other schools) are so willing to spend the money that they have to try to take home second place.  As @Husker_Duput it in his most recent FW (a good listen if you haven't gents) - it is their JOB to try to field the best team.  NCAA wrestling is the absolute highest level of Folkstyle wrestling in the world.  It is our professional league.

My apologies for the rant.  Just my take on a few of them.

• Fire 1

Chance Lamer Michigan in the Portal.... WIth Rowley also in the Portal do they join the other brothers at Cal Poly or head home to Oregon State.... or what are the other legit possibilities?

• Fire 2

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He is an Iowa HS legend.

Seems like we have a lot of evidence on who Teske is at this point.  Some promising flashes, but never developed and all the flashes were at 125 like 3 years ago.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Michigan not staying loyal to the early/true commitments. Transfer portal team now. 

To be fair this is true for multiple teams and it will be the way that coaches have to operate to either jump levels or remain on towards the top. Every team is trying to bring in established transfer portal wrestlers, their job is to put the best team forward, and utilizing the transfer portal is now part of their job. 

2 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

To be fair this is true for multiple teams and it will be the way that coaches have to operate to either jump levels or remain on towards the top. Every team is trying to bring in established transfer portal wrestlers, their job is to put the best team forward, and utilizing the transfer portal is now part of their job. 

Michigan, Penn St, Iowa. So I wouldn't say "multiple". 

Penn St is different from the 2 because they just get stronger. Most commits know you are going to Penn St to be a 3-4 year starter or a career practice guy. Michigan and Iowa don't consistently bring in 3 or 4 top ten recruits, so everyone's starting spot is always in jeopardy, loyalty does not matter to them. 

1 minute ago, RandolphTJones said:

Michigan, Penn St, Iowa. So I wouldn't say "multiple". 

Penn St is different from the 2 because they just get stronger. Most commits know you are going to Penn St to be a 3-4 year starter or a career practice guy. Michigan and Iowa don't consistently bring in 3 or 4 top ten recruits, so everyone's starting spot is always in jeopardy, loyalty does not matter to them. 

Michael Bear and Alex Facundo got recruited over at PSU, every school that has the ability to pull from the transfer portal will. Are the wrestlers in the transfer portal showing that loyalty does not matter to them? We want freedom for wrestlers to leave a university if they want to, why should the coaches not recruit or attempt to bring in the best guy at each weight? A certain sense of loyalty is great, but again this is a business, if a coach does not show results they get fired. 

• Fire 2

Lamer portal is surprising.... I don't recall Michigan recruiting over him???? He had a good season at 149 and seems to be an important pieced to their future. 

Edited by Idaho

36 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Chance Lamer Michigan in the Portal.... WIth Rowley also in the Portal do they join the other brothers at Cal Poly or head home to Oregon State.... or what are the other legit possibilities?

That hurts.  A lot.

I hope he goes to Cal Poly, personally.  Add Rowley with him it is an absolute win there.

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Lamer portal is surprising.... I don't recall Michigan recruiting over him???? He had a good season at 149 and seems to be an important pieced to their future. 

Actually he sort of was.

Per one of my guys, Michigan had talked to him about possibly dropping to 141 as they were considering making a run at VV.  Then Cannon got got and now either Ragusin or Cannon are going 141.

The did but also didn't recruit over him.  Not sure if they are still looking at VV.

2 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Lamer could a nice fit at Iowa, right at 149. Yeah I wrote it, cry about it 

Eat a wet sac about it.  Fight me.

Edit: To be clear, I am playing around.

Edited by nhs67
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

Michael Bear and Alex Facundo got recruited over at PSU, every school that has the ability to pull from the transfer portal will. Are the wrestlers in the transfer portal showing that loyalty does not matter to them? We want freedom for wrestlers to leave a university if they want to, why should the coaches not recruit or attempt to bring in the best guy at each weight? A certain sense of loyalty is great, but again this is a business, if a coach does not show results they get fired. 

Facundo could still start next season, mediocre example, so 1 time a guy recruited over which isn't common. Iowa and Michigan repeat offenders. Many of the guys transferring are 1 year rentals. Coaches aren't doing much recruiting here, the money is. Lamer didn't want to be part of a 5th place team this year, best of luck to him, hope other Michigan guys follow suit, already 2 in the last 3 days. 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Actually he sort of was.

Per one of my guys, Michigan had talked to him about possibly dropping to 141 as they were considering making a run at VV.  Then Cannon got got and now either Ragusin or Cannon are going 141.

The did but also didn't recruit over him.  Not sure if they are still looking at VV.

This actually in a weird way seems like the proper way to go about recruiting from the transfer portal. Michigan communicated to Lamar about the possibility of VV coming in and explored options on where he would fit best for the team. Its a tricky situation but feels like the best way to approach it, this also gives Lamar plenty of time in advance instead of getting blind-sided by VV commitment.

3 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Facundo could still start next season, mediocre example, so 1 time a guy recruited over which isn't common. Iowa and Michigan repeat offenders. Many of the guys transferring are 1 year rentals. Coaches aren't doing much recruiting here, the money is. Lamer didn't want to be part of a 5th place team this year, best of luck to him, hope other Michigan guys follow suit, already 2 in the last 3 days. 

How about Cadet World Champ Jared Verkleeren?  How about the Nevils family?  I could keep going...

• Fire 1