2023 Transfer Portal

4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He has 2 years left 

How?  He has represented Rutgers in a dual four years.

2020 - 16 duals

2021 (free year) - 3 duals (late in the season too)

2022 - 8 duals

2023 - 8 duals

How in the hell does he get six attached seasons?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

How?  He has represented Rutgers in a dual four years.

2020 - 16 duals

2021 (free year) - 3 duals (late in the season too)

2022 - 8 duals

2023 - 8 duals

How in the hell does he get six attached seasons?

Can he get a medical for 2022?  Didn’t wrestle past 12/29

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Can he get a medical for 2022?  Didn’t wrestle past 12/29

Even if he didn't wrestle past 12/29, he wrestled eight (8) duals - actually half their wins as a team.  Rutgers went 16-5 as a team and in eight of those wins, Sammy Alvarez wrestled.

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Screenshot_20230514_183544_Facebook.jpg

Michigan needs a 149lber and Woodley (who I saw over the weekend did say he was 'done done' btw) was there last year.

I bet he goes to Michigan.

53 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Even if he didn't wrestle past 12/29, he wrestled eight (8) duals - actually half their wins as a team.  Rutgers went 16-5 as a team and in eight of those wins, Sammy Alvarez wrestled.

The rule is 30% right?  If it’s “dates” and not competitions I think he qualifies.  He only wrestled in 5 “dates” out of 19 (counting multi-day competitions like B10’s and NCAA’s as 1).

But I think the bigger question that I don’t recall is was he actually injured or could he just not make weight?

Just now, 1032004 said:

The rule is 30% right?  If it’s “dates” and not competitions I think he qualifies.  He only wrestled in 5 “dates” out of 19 (counting multi-day competitions like B10’s and NCAA’s as 1).

But I think the bigger question that I don’t recall is was he actually injured or could he just not make weight?

That is the rule now.  Was that the rule then?  Would they apply a 'now' rule to then?  Aside for that, all fair points.

It would be cool if he had two years left and at his proper weight, I just don't know that it seem fair.  He wrestled for the team four years already and wasn't able to go further due to well known weight issues.  I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't be upset if they didn't grant him a 2nd year left.  He's been wrestling.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That is the rule now.  Was that the rule then?  Would they apply a 'now' rule to then?  Aside for that, all fair points.

It would be cool if he had two years left and at his proper weight, I just don't know that it seem fair.  He wrestled for the team four years already and wasn't able to go further due to well known weight issues.  I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't be upset if they didn't grant him a 2nd year left.  He's been wrestling.

I thought 30% is what it's been for a little while, but could be wrong.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I thought 30% is what it's been for a little while, but could be wrong.

You also could be correct.  In my day there weren't all these exceptions, so to say.

Also, as far as Michigan goes, there are a few 149lb options on the market right now.  I just don't think they are going to go for a 'Jamison' type get because they have both Mantanona brothers, Adams, and Gilcher coming that should be the 149-165 gents for a few years.  The younger Mantanona could be the 141lber, too.

I could and would welcome being wrong, though.

1 hour ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

I think Alveraz has 2 years left tho. So Someone will still be sitting out 2 years if Tegan goes there; but I still believe Tegan ends up there. 

Where are you and @Antitroll2828 getting two years left, though?  I am not disputing it, just curious since he competed for Rutgers for four seasons already.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Where are you and @Antitroll2828 getting two years left, though?  I am not disputing it, just curious since he competed for Rutgers for four seasons already.

With a RS and a Covid year guys will get 6 years to compete in 4. Sammy has done 4 years in college. He has 2 more years of eligibility 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

It's out of 16 actually but it still rounds up to 5 dates. Assuming the Matmen Open was counted as one date (and likely he only wrestled his 3 bouts in one day) he would be fine.

9 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

It's out of 16 actually but it still rounds up to 5 dates. Assuming the Matmen Open was counted as one date (and likely he only wrestled his 3 bouts in one day) he would be fine.

Do B10's and NCAA's not count?   And we must have a discrepancy of one other somewhere

58 minutes ago, Corby said:

With a RS and a Covid year guys will get 6 years to compete in 4. Sammy has done 4 years in college. He has 2 more years of eligibility 

No, I understand all that.

It still doesn't explain how he wrestled attached for four seasons and still has two to go.

He started out the gate as a true frosh.  He didn't redshirt at all, at least not properly.  So the only way he could have two years remaining is if he got a medical redshirt approved.  If he does, I get the two years remaining.

When you factor in the 30% rule, 5/16 = 31.25% which is greater than 30% so that is where I am getting hung up there.

41 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

5 ÷ 16 = 0.3125, though.

33 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Do B10's and NCAA's not count?   And we must have a discrepancy of one other somewhere

No. It is 16 dates of allowed competition prior to conferences but it is 16+1 in the computation for hardship which rounds up to 6.

42 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

No. It is 16 dates of allowed competition prior to conferences but it is 16+1 in the computation for hardship which rounds up to 6.

I’m not sure I’m following, you’re saying in general teams are only allowed 16 dates of competition prior to conferences?

41 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’m not sure I’m following, you’re saying in general teams are only allowed 16 dates of competition prior to conferences?

Yup. They are allowed to take a couple (I think 2) consecutive dates of competition and count them as one for this purpose.

• Fire 1