2023 Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a finalist this year for 125.  

Last year, he had only one loss and it was to his legendary teammate Spencer Lee.

The year prior, he was thrust into the starting lineup as a true freshman unexpectedly after Lee went down mid-season.  His only losses were to guys who have been all-americans (McKee and Barnett) or guys who came pretty close (Camacho, Heinselman).  Gutierriez is the only questionable loss and he was no slouch himself (and keep in mind, when they wrestled, Ayala was a true freshman in his first NCAAs where Gutierrez was in his sixth year of eligibility and a three time national qualifier.  

More than anything, the reason why I think he has a good chance is that his ability to pull off unlikely moves late in matches is something that sets him apart.  He has a higher ceiling (and lower floor) than guys who have a similar level of expected return.  

Yea he had one loss last year but he only wrestled 2 division 1 starters , Lee and Berginc..idk just seeing a lot of Ayala is a contender posts for a guy who went 0-2 in his only ncaas , can’t seem to think of any other guys hyped as much with no real track record 

If we re comparing resumes robert Howard is better on paper , he went 2-2 and made the R16 in his only season as a starter , beat Heislman and Gutierrez, also beat Ragusin , (all with one arm basically) but not a soul is calling him a title contender right now 

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea he had one loss last year but he only wrestled 2 division 1 starters , Lee and Berginc..idk just seeing a lot of Ayala is a contender posts for a guy who went 0-2 in his only ncaas , can’t seem to think of any other guys hyped as much with no real track record 

If we re comparing resumes robert Howard is better on paper , he went 2-2 and made the R16 in his only season as a starter , beat Heislman and Gutierrez, also beat Ragusin , (all with one arm basically) but not a soul is calling him a title contender right now 

That was like twelve years ago now?  Isn't Howard going to be a 32 year old Frosh?

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

21 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Robbie Howard hasnt participated in a college match in several years.  He was a good prospect a long time ago, but the only thing he has proven at Penn State is that he is very fragile and unreliable.

Edited by flyingcement

9 hours ago, MNRodent said:

McKee and Howard wrestled at Whos#1.  McKee will be a 6 year senior and Howard a Freshman.

But Howard and Ayala are not the same!  Howard is so much better!

11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

This whole Ayala is a contender thing confuses me , I know the weight is more open than others but this guys best D 1 win last year was 5-2 over Ethan Berginc and he got rocked by spencer , the year before he lost to McKee 4x (who didn’t AA last year )  , Barnett (didn’t AA last year)   , Camacho , Gutierrez, Heisleman (3 guys who never AAed )..a 1 point with over D’Augustino is his best career W..

so where does all this contender talk come from 

He was a true freshman, and competed at a pretty high level.  IMO of course, I think he is tough and could possibly AA this year. 

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

But Howard and Ayala are not the same!  Howard is so much better!

He’s not so much better, but it’s not really crazy to call Howard a title contender if he’s healthy.  But there are probably 10+ guys that can be considered title contenders

16 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

He was a true freshman, and competed at a pretty high level.  IMO of course, I think he is tough and could possibly AA this year. 

I agree with this completely,I’m not hating on Ayala .I think he’s a pretty sure bet to be at worst R12 and maybe can place as high as 4th but title contender talk is a little much, he’s never beat anyone at the contender level so hard to call him one moving forward 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I agree with this completely,I’m not hating on Ayala .I think he’s a pretty sure bet to be at worst R12 and maybe can place as high as 4th but title contender talk is a little much, he’s never beat anyone at the contender level so hard to call him one moving forward 

DeAugustino

9 hours ago, MNRodent said:

McKee and Howard wrestled at Whos#1.  McKee will be a 6 year senior and Howard a Freshman.

9 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Actually he’ll be a 31 Frosh😉 

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

That was like twelve years ago now?  Isn't Howard going to be a 32 year old Frosh?

Howard was a barely 18 yr old true freshman in 2021 , Ayala was a 19 year old true freshman in 2022 , they are literally the same age , both wrestled one season and Howard beat multiple guys that year that Ayala lost too , Howard will be 21 this season , which means if he even uses his 4 years he ll still be 2-3 younger when he graduates than Kemmerer , Marinelli , Eierman 

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

DeAugustino

I don’t think DeAugustino has ever been title contender at any point in his career 

Rs year- 8-8 against D1 competition 

Freshaman- 19-8 against D1- no tournament 

1st sophomore - 8-5 against D1 - R12

2nd Sophomore- 15-6 against D1 - 4th

Junior yr- 9-9 against d1 - 1-2 DNP

Resume doesnt scream title contender 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think DeAugustino has ever been title contender at any point in his career 

Rs year- 8-8 against D1 competition 

Freshaman- 19-8 against D1- no tournament 

1st sophomore - 8-5 against D1 - R12

2nd Sophomore- 15-6 against D1 - 4th

Junior yr- 9-9 against d1 - 1-2 DNP

Resume doesnt scream title contender 

The year he finished 4th all 3 guys that finished above him are no longer there.  

He’s taken some losses but looks to have been injured last year (2 of his losses were inj defaults), but he majored Ramos last year, also has wins over McKee & Barnett among others.

There is a ton of parity at 125, he is absolutely a title contender, and as I said previously I think both Ayala and Howard can be considered one too.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He’s not so much better, but it’s not really crazy to call Howard a title contender if he’s healthy.  But there are probably 10+ guys that can be considered title contenders

I never said Howard wasn't a contender, to be clear.

Joke aside... Caliendo to OU?  Who sits out?  Nachohouse or Picklo?

Does Picklo go up?  Nachohouse or Caliendo up to 174?

4 hours ago, H82Lose said:

hopefully he progresses in the Iowa room, he certainly was not at OU. 

This isn't really a fair statement.  He has the frame to still physically grow in to 125.  He wrestled 113lbs most of his HS season, only going 120lbs a few times for tougher matches.

He isn't Michigan's McHenry.  McHenry hasn't grown since 8th grade and has only been putting on ~2-3lbs a year.  It just isn't happening.

Cruz should be fine with another year growing in to the weight then he will be the starter for three (3) seasons after Ayala moves up.  I don't see him really being a contender yet, but he has more potential than last year would show.  Size was a huge factor there.