2023 Transfer Portal

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Anyone have any news on any if the NDSU gents?

Would be cool as shit if Franek and Pentz went to UofM.  Lewan down to 149 or even Oly-shirt (former Cadet Gold qualifies him, right?)?

Lots of N. Dakota guys shopping around, lets call it the 'Bison stampede'

I can tell you, the mood is less than chipper in Fargo right now.

I hope people aren’t down on the Obe hire. As an Alum, who had a sibling wrestle for Kish, I am certainly happy with the hire. I think people aren’t used to the “open season” mentality that comes with D1 coaching changes at this stage in the game. If a coach leaves for a bigger job, the poachers will surely come out. Blanc was screwed from the beginning. He deserves time and I hope he gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

I hope people aren’t down on the Obe hire. As an Alum, who had a sibling wrestle for Kish, I am certainly happy with the hire. I think people aren’t used to the “open season” mentality that comes with D1 coaching changes at this stage in the game. If a coach leaves for a bigger job, the poachers will surely come out. Blanc was screwed from the beginning. He deserves time and I hope he gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed and that is exactly what is happening. Had the departure happened even 2 years ago, it wouldn't have the same fallout currently happening. I was excited about the Obe hire and others I have talked to feel the same, it is just turning into a series of unfortunate events with athletes. NDSU also isn't in a position to match or counter any of the larger NIL offers, which has added to the helpless feeling of being pillaged.

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Looks like he will be redshirting.  Some word around that he had an injury at the end of the season and will use this next year to recover and regain strength 

He looked pretty decent at the NCAA... At 6'2 I won't be surprised if he is at 197 in two years. A fly under the radar guy with some great funk and potential. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 hours ago, GreenandGold said:

Agreed and that is exactly what is happening. Had the departure happened even 2 years ago, it wouldn't have the same fallout currently happening. I was excited about the Obe hire and others I have talked to feel the same, it is just turning into a series of unfortunate events with athletes. NDSU also isn't in a position to match or counter any of the larger NIL offers, which has added to the helpless feeling of being pillaged.

Yeah I’m a bit surprised if they all leave, thought the Obe hire was best case scenario. 

Guess it may be along the lines of Kolat leaving Campbell and hiring Sentes.  Kept the continuity but still going to have guys that were more loyal to the HC that likely recruited them.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Here is the post if you weren't able to view it

Screenshot_20230601_165447_Instagram.jpg

Thanks, I was, just saying I guess that’s where a lot of the news is these days.  Thought it was mostly just for girls’ bikini pics (which is probably another reason I should be on there)

Edited by 1032004
  • Haha 2

General question, but why doesn’t some of these portal guys transfer to Mizzou? I get Smith wants “Tiger style” guys, and maybe the interest isn’t there for some. But it seems to me at least Mizzou isn’t even an option. Maybe Smith is loyal to his recruits and that’s awesome. We’ve had some transfers, Mikey England and Blaise Butler mixed with some homegrown kids that went elsewhere first and came home. For example a wrestler like Franek would be a great addition at 157 where we don’t have a proven wrestler at this point. Just curious why more wouldn’t or haven’t chose to join a top 10 team more often. 

13 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

General question, but why doesn’t some of these portal guys transfer to Mizzou? I get Smith wants “Tiger style” guys, and maybe the interest isn’t there for some. But it seems to me at least Mizzou isn’t even an option. Maybe Smith is loyal to his recruits and that’s awesome. We’ve had some transfers, Mikey England and Blaise Butler mixed with some homegrown kids that went elsewhere first and came home. For example a wrestler like Franek would be a great addition at 157 where we don’t have a proven wrestler at this point. Just curious why more wouldn’t or haven’t chose to join a top 10 team more often. 

Askren needs to throw around that AWA moneys more.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Askren needs to throw around that AWA moneys more.

You think that’s what it is, NIL money? I had that in mind, but not sure that’s the main reason. Then again I have no clue and it could be 100% the reason. Just would like to see more transfers at least consider Mizzou. 

1 hour ago, MizzouFan01 said:

You think that’s what it is, NIL money? I had that in mind, but not sure that’s the main reason. Then again I have no clue and it could be 100% the reason. Just would like to see more transfers at least consider Mizzou. 

The weird thing about Askren is he is a boomer conservative. All about receiving a fair slice of the pie right up until it was his money in the bank and then, well...

For as much as he gives back to our sport and has, in my opinion, the best outlook on how to approach kids wrestling and somehow simultaneously also successfully grows elite-level wrestling he sure does have some funky ways about him.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, MizzouFan01 said:

I think a lot of the current state is.

That said, Franek seems to be cut from a different cloth.  I would like to see him at Mizzou.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me