Weight Class Changes for 2023-2024

nhs67

Anybody know of anyone changing weights?  Who?

Anybody think anyone will change weights?  Why?

Anybody want someone to change weights?  Who?

I have a few lineups I think would greatly benefit a change with outgoing and incoming (true, redshirt, and potential transfer). 

What are your thoughts?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Watch Bartlett’s USAW interview. Almost chisels in stone a move to 133.

SVN looked smaller than everyone he wrestled. Like a full weight class smaller than Paniro Johnson. I could see him getting bigger and stay 149 or go down. They have Kasak coming in and likely want him at 141 or 149.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Watch Bartlett’s USAW interview. Almost chisels in stone a move to 133.

SVN looked smaller than everyone he wrestled. Like a full weight class smaller than Paniro Johnson. I could see him getting bigger and stay 149 or go down. They have Kasak coming in and likely want him at 141 or 149.

He is wrestling 137 for the PWC.

17 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Was up at 141 and 149 at college opens this season.

That doesn't change ehat I said.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Correct.

Just pointing out that a one-time weigh in vs a season of maintaining a weight are two different things.

I mean... PWC might have an allowance too.  I am ignorant there as to that.

I mean... PWC might have an allowance too.  I am ignorant there as to that.

They might also do night before. Can’t remember. A couple of those all-star events are pretty flexible in order to get people signed up.

• Fire 1

Here are some I think are likely...

Aaron Brooks, Penn State to 197

- In his immediate post-match interview he said he was cutting a lot of weight.  I think he goes up and wins his fourth, much like Sanderson did his last year.

Bernie Truax, Cal Poly to 184

- He was lighter than a lot of the gents who wrestled 184 within an hour after weigh-ins this year.  I think he makes that drop back to 184.  I am not sure he goes 197 if it was known earlier on that Kemp would be out.  With Brooks going up, I think we see Truax come down.  I actually think we see the entire Cal Poly lineup from this season's 157-197 shuffle around/drop.

Braxton Amos, Wisconsin to 285

- I hope he recovers quickly and well.  I do believe he has an Olympic Redshirt available, so we might not see him at all.  If we do, I think he gravitates up now that Thor is gone.

Keegan O'Toole, Mizzou to 174 and Peyton Mocco, Mizzoi to 165

- I think there is smoke where Askren keeps saying Keegan is going to probably go up next year.  I am all for it.  Imagine if Carr and Griffith also went up...

It may not be a relevant story for next year, but I think Ohio State is going to have a bigger problem than they originally thought they might with Mendez and Bouzakis. 

It seems like they're basically both built to be career 133lbers. Mendez wasn't a big 133 this season and, to me, looked a little small in some matches. 

Reports had the plan for Mendez to move up to 141 lbs after a redshirt, but I'm not sold on that working out. 

Any Ohio State people have an insight? 

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

It may not be a relevant story for next year, but I think Ohio State is going to have a bigger problem than they originally thought they might with Mendez and Bouzakis. 

It seems like they're basically both built to be career 133lbers. Mendez wasn't a big 133 this season and, to me, looked a little small in some matches. 

Reports had the plan for Mendez to move up to 141 lbs after a redshirt, but I'm not sold on that working out. 

Any Ohio State people have an insight? 

I do believe someone over on HR is eluding to Bouzakis transferring in there.

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Aaron Brooks, Penn State to 197

- In his immediate post-match interview he said he was cutting a lot of weight.  I think he goes up and wins his fourth, much like Sanderson did his last year.

One night Aaron had a dream. He dreamed he was getting a gold medal along the Tulsa beach with the LORD.

Across the jumbotron flashed scenes from his season. For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his tournament flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the path of his season there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very heaviest and hungriest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the LORD about it:

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd workout with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My Aaron, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I pedaled the Aerodyne for you."

i am an idiot on the internet

For the Ohio State I think there are four (4) options for gents going up, maybe five (5) depending on redshirt usage.

Four that make sense...

D'Amilio up to 149.  I am not sure the status of Decatur.  If he stats around another year, he coule man either 141 or 149 - whichever weight D'Amilio does not go.

Sasso up to 157.  I am no professor for tOSU, but I think if Sasso comes back it might be up at 157.

Gallagher/Wilcox to 165 to compete with Hepner for the spot.

Kharchla up to 174.  Makes sense.

The fifth option would be depending on redshirts and all that, but if for whatever reason Bouzakis ends up being 141 and Mendez redshirts, Gonzalez could go 133 w/ Kilkeary running it out at 125.

What I actually think their lineup might be come B1Gs next season:

125 - Gonzalez

133 - Bouzakis

141 - Decatur/D'Amilio

149 - D'Amilio/Decatur

157 - Sasso

165 - Hepner/Gallagher/Wilcox

174 - Kharchla

184 - Shumate/Geoggg

197 - Geoggg/Shumate

285 - Feldman

I have a gut feeling we might see Hoffman in the portal.

18 hours ago, nhs67 said:

For the Ohio State I think there are four (4) options for gents going up, maybe five (5) depending on redshirt usage.

Four that make sense...

D'Amilio up to 149.  I am not sure the status of Decatur.  If he stats around another year, he coule man either 141 or 149 - whichever weight D'Amilio does not go.

Sasso up to 157.  I am no professor for tOSU, but I think if Sasso comes back it might be up at 157.

Gallagher/Wilcox to 165 to compete with Hepner for the spot.

Kharchla up to 174.  Makes sense.

The fifth option would be depending on redshirts and all that, but if for whatever reason Bouzakis ends up being 141 and Mendez redshirts, Gonzalez could go 133 w/ Kilkeary running it out at 125.

What I actually think their lineup might be come B1Gs next season:

125 - Gonzalez

133 - Bouzakis

141 - Decatur/D'Amilio

149 - D'Amilio/Decatur

157 - Sasso

165 - Hepner/Gallagher/Wilcox

174 - Kharchla

184 - Shumate/Geoggg

197 - Geoggg/Shumate

285 - Feldman

I have a gut feeling we might see Hoffman in the portal.

Sasso doesn't seem like he'd do as well at '57. He's not that big of a '49, is he?

I'd think he'd want to stay right where he is. Should be the favorite in the B1G again...as opposed to having to Wrestle Haines(who I think still has a steep learning curve).

I guess it's Gomez vs Haines as far as the most likely contender. I really hope Brayton Lee who I believe has a year left...irrespective of what I think of Gophers, I'm rooting for that kid.

And Gallagher is going to be a good measuring stick for Ryan and that program to see how they can develop Wrestlers. He's a stud, top recruit. He should make some noice next year. I'm also not sure about Geog. Are you just higher on him? Is that the reason behind the extra 2 Gs? Like Tony the Tiger, you think he's GGGREAT?

This OSU team, if they can just develop, stay healthy...they're gonna be a problem. 

By the way, how big is Feldman? I watched him Wrestle Mullens, but it was tough to gauge if he's more...Stephen Neal sized or Kyle Snyder(I suspect closer to 6'2-ish, but looking for confirmation).

I'm all for Bouzakis at 33 and OLY RS Mendez. Let him wrestle FS.

There hasn't been any word on Decatur. 

I believe D'Emilio and Sasso may both want to go up, but like Scourge mentioned Sammy doesn't look big.

I've got Hepner penciled in at 65. If that happens, Paddy or Wilcox are left out. Paddy should spend the entire off season working on finishing shots.

I want Geog wrestling.  I see big things from him. 

I think Feldman is gonna struggle a bit. He's not BIG and his frame doesn't have much room to get BIG. 

OSU overachieved at NCAA no doubt about it. They're gonna be good if the pieces fall into place, but we know how that goes sometimes.

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

OSU overachieved at NCAA no doubt about it. They're gonna be good if the pieces fall into place, but we know how that goes sometimes.

John Smith does not agree with this statement.  😬

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

And its not even A thing anymore, correct?  They lost the legal battle. 

No. They won the battle for registered trademark of the word "THE" as it pertains to Ohio State anyway. 💲

Edited by MPhillips

4 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I believe D'Emilio and Sasso may both want to go up, 

Not challenging you, just curious if you’ve seen or heard anything recently suggesting this to be the case. With the way they both looked the final month of the season, I’m really hoping for more of the same and at the same weights next year. Paddy has been frustrating, but i’m not ready to give up on him as a productive 157. 

Next year will be interesting. I think it’s a team that may struggle early at some weights but im hoping to see lots of development throughout the year. Thinking 125, 133, 184, 197 (if it’s Geog) and Heavy could all be weights where young guys take some lumps early but hopefully they put it together for the post season. 

Edited by Ashebuckeye
  • Fire 1