Weight Class Changes for 2023-2024

nhs67

@Ashebuckeye No. Nothing worth mentioning. They both finished really strong.  Paddy has had a tough adjustment. If he can figure out how to finish his shots, he's right there.

I really want Geog. I believe he can be successful. Bouzakis will be fine. Not sure if Gonzales is the answer, but we have guys coming. Lots of folks have backed off Shumate and I really don't have a fair opinion of him.  I hope he comes in and battles. I think Feldman is going to struggle just because of his size and the injury has me worried.

OSU outperformed everyone's expectations at NCAA's. Not sure if they can recover Smith's and Romero's points next season, but I'm a fan and I like what's coming.

• Fire 1

@MPhillips I like Bouzakis but I don’t envision him having same productivity next year as Jesse did this year. 

I think Rogotzke will battle Shumate to start right away at 184. 

I also expect - and this could just be wishful thinking - Kilkeary to be the starter at 125. 

I think Geog going over Hoffman makes sense for many reasons, even if he is slightly behind Gavin currently. Hopefully by next year that’s changed though. 

I'm with you on Feldman. Great potential but he will need some work. Next year will be a great year for him to get on the job training. 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Ashebuckeye said:

@MPhillips I like Bouzakis but I don’t envision him having same productivity next year as Jesse did this year. 

I also expect - and this could just be wishful thinking - Kilkeary to be the starter at 125. 

I think Geog going over Hoffman makes sense for many reasons, even if he is slightly behind Gavin currently. Hopefully by next year that’s changed though. 

I'm with you on Feldman. Great potential but he will need some work. Next year will be a great year for him to get on the job training. 

I am curious to see if Rogotzke's style translates to the next level. He pinned a ton of guys in high school with his whip overs. He is a pretty solid mat wrestler as well. 

• Fire 2

11 hours ago, Ashebuckeye said:

6 minutes ago, Gus said:

I am curious to see if Rogotzke's style translates to the next level. He pinned a ton of guys in high school with his whip overs. He is a pretty solid mat wrestler as well. 

Here is a match with Mirsola for reference. He gives up a few takedowns but hits the lat whip over to pin Mirsola.

https://www.flowrestling.org/people/7009650-ryder-rogotzke/video?playing=10198083

It seems like with all the COVID year/extra year, etc. There aren't many student athletes officially being "done" with their college wrestling careers? Looks to be a much bigger drop off next season. With that said, I think we see a lot of changes in weights & some battles internally between returning starters and athletes coming off RS or into their true freshman year. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I wouldn't disagree.  I'm looking forward to Rogotzke being a Buckeye. The learning curve into college is pretty sharp with most HS kids. I believe he RS's this season.

2 hours ago, RandolphTJones said:

It seems like with all the COVID year/extra year, etc. There aren't many student athletes officially being "done" with their college wrestling careers? Looks to be a much bigger drop off next season. With that said, I think we see a lot of changes in weights & some battles internally between returning starters and athletes coming off RS or into their true freshman year. 

It's not just in your mind- it will be this way until 2026 at least, not including Olympic redshirts and medical redshirts which are granted much more often than in the past.

2020-21: Free Year

21-22: Standard redshirt

22-23: RS Freshman

23-24: Sophomore

24-25: Junior

25-26: Senior

You could also conceivably see the following, with the standard redshirt mixed in at any point so long as it is burned prior to the medical redshirt. And with NIL deals this is a conceivable path.

20-21 Covidshirt

21-22 Redshirt

22-23 RS Frosh

23-24 Oly shirt

24-25 Soph

25-26 Junior

26-27 Injured

27-28 Oly shirt

28-29 Senior

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Trent Hidlay to 197

Trumble is redshirting

YES!

Why didn't he register for 92 KG though?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Poz up to 197 for Scarlet Knights after using his redshirt last year 

This did puzzle me a bit.  I thought it always the plan for him to go up, but he competed at 184 during his redshirt.

Add in that Janzer did not transfer out and I was befuddled.

• Fire 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:57 PM, bnwtwg said:

You could also conceivably see the following, with the standard redshirt mixed in at any point so long as it is burned prior to the medical redshirt.

If you compete unattached (“redshirt”) your first year, compete attached three full seasons and get hurt during your fifth year (fourth year attached), the only way you get a medical redshirt is if you were hurt during your first year (or early enough in any of the subsequent years), too. If not, the NCAA pretty much says, “Well, you should’ve competed when you were healthy.”

Technically, you don’t really acknowledge the first year as being a “redshirt year” until you exercise the option of your fifth year (fourth year of attached competition). Calling someone a redshirt freshman just helps keep track of years of eligibility left (otherwise you’d have seniors who become redshirt seniors the next year, which would be confusing and weird).

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This did puzzle me a bit.  I thought it always the plan for him to go up, but he competed at 184 during his redshirt.

Add in that Janzer did not transfer out and I was befuddled.

Yeah that is a bit curious that he competed at 184 this past year.  As for Janzer, it appears WrestleStat has dropped him off their roster.  He has already done five years of college and appeared to display HEW during quite a few matches last year.  

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Yeah that is a bit curious that he competed at 184 this past year.  As for Janzer, it appears WrestleStat has dropped him off their roster.  He has already done five years of college and appeared to display HEW during quite a few matches last year.  

Would be cool to see Janzer pop up at a SOCON or MAC school at 184 this year.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, creek chub said:

Mehki Lewis may bump to 184. Not in stone yet but he’s considering it

I hope he does and gives 86 KG a go just after the season.

With Hidlay and Brooks moving up, it does clear the way for him.  Starocci is clearly the best 174lber or 184lber in the country at this point.  Yes I would take him over PK even if he were to bump from 174 to wrestle him in a dual.

I can call him Stalrocci all I want... his method is the most effective we have seen under the specific rules for that season at 174lbs we have seen since... probably ever.  For those curious 174 has only existed in 1932, 1948, and from 1999 until present day.

Curious bit of information.  Glen Brand was the 1948 174lb champion and was the last Brand to win a title until Tom and Terry changed their last name to Brands and went and decided change their name because there was actually two of them, which should be plural.

If Lewis does go 184, what does that do for the VTech lineup?  It puts Fisher out a season, unless he goes up and takes the spot from Smith AND Stewart (possible, but I don't know about that...).

If this happens I would be all for Ulrey at 157, Andonian at 165, and Brady at 174 - or whoever wins it at 174 (Fisher drops?).

Honestly I would just be for Andonian going 165 either way.  I want to see him throw his hat in the ring at 74 KG and I think him going 165 helps him get used to the weight better before hand.  Doesn't happen, probably, but I would like it to.  Before I was all for Lewis going 165 again because he is massive at 174, but I also understood that him going 184 would still mean him taking 86 KG, rather than 74 KG, as a serious option.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

If Lewis does go 184, what does that do for the VTech lineup?  It puts Fisher out a season, unless he goes up and takes the spot from Smith AND Stewart (possible, but I don't know about that...).

If this happens I would be all for Ulrey at 157, Andonian at 165, and Brady at 174 - or whoever wins it at 174 (Fisher drops?).

Honestly I would just be for Andonian going 165 either way.  I want to see him throw his hat in the ring at 74 KG and I think him going 165 helps him get used to the weight better before hand.  Doesn't happen, probably, but I would like it to.  Before I was all for Lewis going 165 again because he is massive at 174, but I also understood that him going 184 would still mean him taking 86 KG, rather than 74 KG, as a serious option.

Bryce is good and arguably the most exciting wrestler in the country but I think it would quite him best to stay at 157. I don’t think he has the size or physical strength at this point to knock off the top 165 guys. He’s a legit title contender at 157 and probably doesn’t AA at 165. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Bryce is good and arguably the most exciting wrestler in the country but I think it would quite him best to stay at 157. I don’t think he has the size or physical strength at this point to knock off the top 165 guys. He’s a legit title contender at 157 and probably doesn’t AA at 165. 

I can see that.  Also, thinking realistically, I don't think we'll see as much shuffling as I would almost prefer in the pre-olympic collegiate year.  I would almost prefer to see some guys be a bit more selfish.  Like Stalrocci, for example.  While I don't think his attitude is conducive to the NLWC mentality, I do think it is the appropriate approach.  I think he should also seriously consider taking the Oly-shirt or flat out dropping to 165lbs if he intends to make a serious run at 74 KG.  If he cannot do that he needs to consider 184lbs/86 KG.  Being as I am sure he beats Truax out, I don't know what that would do internally.  Cael likely tells him no.

All this said, I do wish we saw more of our Freestyle gents gravitate more towards the weight class(es) that will suit their Oly runs better. 
- 125(+0.7) fits 57 KG (125.7lbs)
- 141(-2.3) and 149(+5.7) fit 65 KG (143.3lbs)
- 157(-6.1) and 165(+1.9) fit 74 KG (163.1lbs)
- 184(-5.6) and 197(+7.4) fit 86 KG (189.6lbs)
- 285 is the only one that properly fits 97 KG (213.8lbs) and 125 KG (275.6lbs)

So 133 doesn't really fit any weight, so I would prefer to see Arujau and Fix both at either 141 or 125.  Johnny D said 149 was better for him, but he never filled out to 149.  I could see where 157 can go 74 KG just as easily at 165 (see Nolf, Jason), but I would think 165 would be better for that.  A guy like KOT could go 174 and still drop, as he wouldn't be big (like Johnny D at 149).

Pipe dreams.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

All this said, I do wish we saw more of our Freestyle gents gravitate more towards the weight class(es) that will suit their Oly runs better. 

I wish the ten NCAA weight classes matched MFS weight classes but that would just make too much sense.

• Fire 3

i am an idiot on the internet

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

An assumption is Fisher would drop to 174. Fisher doesn’t look like a large 84 guy now but 10 pounds is a pretty big cut. Fisher is already preseason ranked at 84 and he’s likely going to be really good. If mehki does go 84, redshirt Stewart’s only option is to bump to 97 and try to beat out Smith.

I don’t think we’ll see other weight changes for VT. True freshman Sasso could also try to take Smith’s spot at 97. As good as he’s projected to be, it’s tall task for a true freshman to match grown man strength at 97. Heck, 3 time AA Haught got manhandled as a redshirt at 97 until he grew into the weight and hit the weights for a couple years

• Fire 1

Josh Edmond of Mizzou wrestled at 149 lbs 2 years ago while Brock Mauller took a red shirt.  Edmond was an NCAA qualifier that year as a freshman, wrestling up a weight.  In 2023/24 Edmond will wrestle at 141 after redshirting himself last year.  Looking forward to big things for Edmond.  Very explosive!  

• Fire 2