Iowa needs to build a Spencer Lee statue and put it next to Gable

Jimmy Cinnabon

I am not being facetious in any way.  Spencer Lee literally sacrificed his body over the last 6 years, solely for the benefit of the  Iowa Hawkeyes and their faithful fans.  He destroyed both of his knees to win 3 NCAA championships, and honestly, if not for one fluke movement, a 4th NCAA title.

I am hearing he re-tore one of his surgically repaired ACLs.  If true, this probably knocks him out of competing for the 2024 Olympics.  Even though I am a hardcore Penn State fan, I am also a Pennsylvanian and have a soft spot for PA wrestlers, like Spencer Lee.

I said this a year ago, but I believe Spencer Lee has, in effect, sacrificed his dreams of Olympic Gold, to win 4 NCAA titles.  He fell a bit short, but I think Hawkeye fans need to build him a tribute since he literally gave up us dreams of Olympic glory for the benefit of his college team.

He is a true hero to Hawkeye Nation and it needs to be cast in bronze and placed outside of Carver Hawkeye.  I would personally donate to support such a tribute to the great Spencer Lee.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

• Jimmy Cinnabon changed the title to Iowa needs to build a Spencer Lee statue and put it next to Gable

If he takes over as coach and wins 15 NCAA titles in 21 season - time then to commission a Statue.

He is a very good wrestler. No doubt about it.

If you really want a Lee Statue - we have some Lego's we can sell you so you can make one.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I am not being facetious in any way.  Spencer Lee literally sacrificed his body over the last 6 years, solely for the benefit of the  Iowa Hawkeyes and their faithful fans.  He destroyed both of his knees to win 3 NCAA championships, and honestly, if not for one fluke movement, a 4th NCAA title.

I am hearing he re-tore one of his surgically repaired ACLs.  If true, this probably knocks him out of competing for the 2024 Olympics.  Even though I am a hardcore Penn State fan, I am also a Pennsylvanian and have a soft spot for PA wrestlers, like Spencer Lee.

I said this a year ago, but I believe Spencer Lee has, in effect, sacrificed his dreams of Olympic Gold, to win 4 NCAA titles.  He fell a bit short, but I think Hawkeye fans need to build him a tribute since he literally gave up us dreams of Olympic glory for the benefit of his college team.

He is a true hero to Hawkeye Nation and it needs to be cast in bronze and placed outside of Carver Hawkeye.  I would personally donate to support such a tribute to the great Spencer Lee.

But Gable only lost to the NCAA champion, Lee lost to 2nd, 3rd & 5th placers.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Bump - Larry Lee's recent comments reinforce my belief that Spencer has sacrificed his dreams of Olympic Gold for the Hawkeyes.  The man is a martyr.

Nope, the man is a quitter. No wrestlebacks... and now no Suriano match.

The progression downhill just gets steeper.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I would personally donate to support such a tribute to the great Spencer Lee.

Sir, your reputation precedes you...who would count of you to pay?

If there are 10 things that have to come together to be an Olympic Champion and be crowned best in the world, sad to say that Spencer Lee may only have 9, the 10th being a body that can handle the punishment along the way.  He was a great college wrestler, and maybe with the proper medical attention he can be a great US and world level wrestler.  We'll have to wait and see.

I never did get why Spencer focused all of his efforts on NCAA wrestling over the years. He even said in his Barstool interview that freestyle is what he likes, yet he sat out every single freestyle tourney because he was saving it for NCAAs and the Hawkeyes. Such a bummer. 

9 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I never did get why Spencer focused all of his efforts on NCAA wrestling over the years. He even said in his Barstool interview that freestyle is what he likes, yet he sat out every single freestyle tourney because he was saving it for NCAAs and the Hawkeyes. Such a bummer. 

Exactly.  Spencer actually said he thinks folkstyle sucks...yet he sacrificed his body wrestling folkstyle for the Hawkeyes and now he may never win a freestyle Olympic or World medal.

A statue is dumb, but it can probably be considered that he sacrificed at least his chances at this year’s world team for a chance to win back to back team titles.

I wouldn't really say he sacrificed anything for individual titles, as I wouldn’t fault him for wrestling the NCAA season in general, but the team implications certainly seemed to impact his decisions WHEN to wrestle or rehab.

Even Pyles called this out.  For example, if Iowa didn’t think they could win the title in 2022, Spencer probably gets surgery right after the 2021 season. 

On 4/28/2023 at 4:01 PM, Not134 said:

Sir, your reputation precedes you...who would count of you to pay?

If there are 10 things that have to come together to be an Olympic Champion and be crowned best in the world, sad to say that Spencer Lee may only have 9, the 10th being a body that can handle the punishment along the way.  He was a great college wrestler, and maybe with the proper medical attention he can be a great US and world level wrestler.  We'll have to wait and see.

The problem is that over the past 5 years, he was never actually given a chance to properly heal.  It is the single worse mismanagement of an athlete in terms of health that I have ever seen in the sport. People forget just how successful he was as a junior on the world circuit-it was almost a foregone conclusion that he would compete for years winning senior world medals.  And now if he ever makes a world team, I will be thankful and view it as an incredible comeback story. Anybody criticizing Lee for not competing at NCAAs or the Open has not followed his career-the guy has done nothing but compete when he should have been healing.  

It's true that people will remember him as a great wrestler regardless, but the sacrifice of his personal career for the Hawkeyes to get team points at NCAAS is one that will unfortunately probably be forgotten. He was every bit the wrestler that Gable Steveson was and could have been one of the best US wrestlers of our time. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 2

On 4/28/2023 at 5:36 PM, AgaveMaria said:

Nope, the man is a quitter. No wrestlebacks... and now no Suriano match.

The progression downhill just gets steeper.

Is this similar to the beat down marianelli and kemmerer put on cstall on the backside at the us open?