Vito

Dark Energy

Deserves a dedicated thread.  To me, he is the best wrestler in college, this recently ended season and next season. Again, to me.  I’ve watched him more than I’ve many seen other wrestlers … ‘best’ is subjective … and I have some bias. 

What really stands out to me:

> Highly technical.  His tools chest is DEEP.  Lots of attacks.  Very interesting finishes.  Very good defense.  Admittedly, his head hands, while awesome, he does let people get to his legs.  Still, all around technique, I feel no one has the depth he has or the expertise in many situations.

> Crazy fast.  For me, he is the fastest guy we have.  Others can approach — McGee is a good example.  But Vito is on an island.  

> Strong - not going to say he is the strongest.  Not sure, but after watching him lift so many guys off the mat in a big way when getting to legs .. guy has power.

He lost to Latona this year and has a very close one with McGee.  True.  He was ‘off’ in that window.  What I’ve heard/read.  Some will count this against him.  Ok.  Go ahead.  

He lost to Glory last year in semis.  True.  Some crazy scrambles that were determined by inches.  No excuse.  Shit happens.  Glory wrestled great.  Still feel that Vito is better based on the actual action and activity.  

But I believe, with all healthy, he is the best of the bunch.  And way more freaking fun to watch than 99%+ of the wrestlers out there.

Congrats to him.  I’m very happy for him.  

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Fire 6

The promise of his family has FINALLY delivered. I realize he is coached by Grey, but this journey started a long time ago while Grey was still wrestling, and Koll was actively recruiting the whole dang family to buy into the program.

Vito is ready for the big leagues. He might not make the world team this year, but he has all the tools to do what his dad pulled off decades ago.

Watching him destroy RBY made my night.

• Fire 5

During his final and after his second takedown in particular, my phone started lighting up with texts and calls with friends saying they couldn't believe how quick he was. It was such a fun match to watch him just work over someone who has ran the table for the past couple of years. 

something I noticed especially in the start of the match was all the soft touching he was doing almost to set up his speed and attacks. He would barely touch RBY and his arms and hands were moving in an almost hypnotizing way then all of the sudden you would get a fast burst. Very much obvious the Eastern European/Russian type influence in his wrestling style. He described almost exactly how the match would go prior to his final in his post semi interview. 

• Fire 1

The promise of his family has FINALLY delivered. I realize he is coached by Grey, but this journey started a long time ago while Grey was still wrestling, and Koll was actively recruiting the whole dang family to buy into the program.
Vito is ready for the big leagues. He might not make the world team this year, but he has all the tools to do what his dad pulled off decades ago.
Watching him destroy RBY made my night.

Very similar to when he swept RBY (both wins were TFs) in a best of three series to make a world team in 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Deserves a dedicated thread.  To me, he is the best wrestler in college, this recently ended season and next season. Again, to me.  I’ve watched him more than I’ve many seen other wrestlers … ‘best’ is subjective … and I have some bias. 

What really stands out to me:

> Highly technical.  His tools chest is DEEP.  Lots of attacks.  Very interesting finishes.  Very good defense.  Admittedly, his head hands, while awesome, he does let people get to his legs.  Still, all around technique, I feel no one has the depth he has or the expertise in many situations.

> Crazy fast.  For me, he is the fastest guy we have.  Others can approach — McGee is a good example.  But Vito is on an island.  

> Strong - not going to say he is the strongest.  Not sure, but after watching him lift so many guys off the mat in a big way when getting to legs .. guy has power.

He lost to Latona this year and has a very close one with McGee.  True.  He was ‘off’ in that window.  What I’ve heard/read.  Some will count this against him.  Ok.  Go ahead.  

He lost to Glory last year in semis.  True.  Some crazy scrambles that were determined by inches.  No excuse.  Shit happens.  Glory wrestled great.  Still feel that Vito is better based on the actual action and activity.  

But I believe, with all healthy, he is the best of the bunch.  And way more freaking fun to watch than 99%+ of the wrestlers out there.

Congrats to him.  I’m very happy for him.  

This is the best example of hyperbole on the topic of the 2023 championships

I hadn't watched VA all season.  As soon as he stepped into the ring I noticed how big he had become.  He dwarfed RBY.  He's clearly an example of one that is far better not cutting weight. It's hard to believe he had any losses this season. I suspect he is in late a growth stage and may well be at 141 next season.  After seeing his magic at 133 I now know why Glory fought the food demons to stay at 125. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, RYou said:

I hadn't watched VA all season.  As soon as he stepped into the ring I noticed how big he had become.  He dwarfed RBY.  He's clearly an example of one that is far better not cutting weight. It's hard to believe he had any losses this season. I suspect he is in late a growth stage and may well be at 141 next season.  After seeing his magic at 133 I now know why Glory fought the food demons to stay at 125. 

Maybe I'm misreading this, but are you suggesting that Glory stayed at 125 to duck Vito? 

I did have  Vito to win. I thought he was another level when he took off to beat gilman. Fell short. 

I thought to beat RBY needed to be fast but more important needed someone that stayed in great position to deal with RBY talent. I thought Vito had this.

Im a homer so little wishful thinking as well.

Looked great

Frank C

1 hour ago, Dark Energy said:

Me thinks you don’t know the meaning of the word hyperbole.

Hyperbole would be calling someone the best wrestler in the country who - 

• lost to Sam Latona
  • did not go undefeated
  • is nowhere near the top in terms of bonus % or RPI
  • is not even the best wrestler on his team

Subjectively, I love Vito's style and I thought he had a really good chance of beating RBY and I'm happy that he did. Objectively, there is no argument that puts him as #1 P4P.

2 hours ago, romesone said:

Hyperbole would be calling someone the best wrestler in the country who - 

• lost to Sam Latona
  • did not go undefeated
  • is nowhere near the top in terms of bonus % or RPI
  • is not even the best wrestler on his team

Subjectively, I love Vito's style and I thought he had a really good chance of beating RBY and I'm happy that he did. Objectively, there is no argument that puts him as #1 P4P.

Well, he did beat Flo's P4P #2 (decisively) and #8 (with a major), and we saw what happened to #1, so there is *some* argument for it.

If RBY had won, Flo would have ranked him #1 P4P, right?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

Well, he did beat Flo's P4P #2 (decisively) and #8 (with a major), and we saw what happened to #1, so there is *some* argument for it.

If RBY had won, Flo would have ranked him #1 P4P, right?

Sure - because he would've been undefeated with like a 60-match win streak. As things stand, Starocci would take that position considering his record and bonus %, etc. 

The margins are obviously razor thin at this level, so having an unblemished record has to account for something. 

3 minutes ago, romesone said:

Sure - because he would've been undefeated with like a 60-match win streak. As things stand, Starocci would take that position considering his record and bonus %, etc. 

The margins are obviously razor thin at this level, so having an unblemished record has to account for something. 

Fair.  I would also look at level of competition.  You saying margins are razor thin is also fair … thus my statement is not hyperbole!! 🙂.  This is a judgement call.  I respect you disagreeing with me.

• Fire 1