AA after losing 1st match

mspart

Looking at the brackets I am always interested who lost their first match and made it to AA.   It appears that only one person did that this year.  

184   (11) Gavin Kane UNC - took 8th.  

There were a number of folks that AA'd after winning their first match but losing their second.   But I am only listing the guy that went the furthest after losing their first match.

I say congrats to Gavin in his Herculean effort to come back from a 1st round loss and come back to AA. 

mspart

• Fire 13

6 minutes ago, scribers said:

No one wrestled all the way to third. This sometimes happens. 

I found a couple right after the tourney who lost a 2nd round and were contesting for 3rd. Don’t have brackets handy now. 

Dustin Manotti, '06.  Lost 1st round, ended up 3rd 

• Fire 3

50 minutes ago, mspart said:

Looking at the brackets I am always interested who lost their first match and made it to AA.   It appears that only one person did that this year.  

184   (11) Gavin Kane UNC - took 8th.  

There were a number of folks that AA'd after winning their first match but losing their second.   But I am only listing the guy that went the furthest after losing their first match.

I say congrats to Gavin in his Herculean effort to come back from a 1st round loss and come back to AA. 

mspart

Gavin will be a good one for the next couple of years. He’s been doing a weight class shuffle for the past couple years with Clay Lautt at 174/184. Unfortunately, Lautt got hurt this year and couldn’t finish the season and Kane was doing fine at 184. But I do wonder if Kane goes back to 174 next year. I know 184 isn’t a tough cut for him. 

LEHIGH's Cory Cooperman in 2014 @141... lost by fall in the pigtail match against Martin of Illinios (quick one @ :26.)

Came all the way back to get 7th dec. Cooper of Indiana.

Martin from Illinios didn't place... lost in the 1st rnd of the consis.

D3

16 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

LEHIGH's Cory Cooperman in 2014 @141... lost by fall in the pigtail match against Martin of Illinios (quick one @ :26.)

Came all the way back to get 7th dec. Cooper of Indiana.

Martin from Illinios didn't place... lost in the 1st rnd of the consis.

D3

I think you meant 2004, but yes, that was a great run by Cooperman. I believe he got 3rd the following two years but lost in the later rounds

• Fire 1

John Lange - Penn State 158, 1998.

7 seed; Lost his 1st match, wrestled back for 3rd, along the way pinning the guy (Cal Poly?) that beat him in the opening round and defeating Casey Cunningham's brother in the 3rd place match.

• Fire 1

Honestly, I’d guess often it may be easier if you exit the championship bracket sooner. Get your head back right after a mistake, build momentum, clean up all the scraps, often facing guys who mentally have just taken a hit after losing deeper into the winners bracket.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

Honestly, I’d guess often it may be easier if you exit the championship bracket sooner. Get your head back right after a mistake, build momentum, clean up all the scraps, often facing guys who mentally have just taken a hit after losing deeper into the winners bracket.

I’d rather pull off an upset in the quarterfinals myself. 

2 hours ago, 11986 said:

Larry Quisel (RIP) in ‘99. Lost 1st rd, dropped into pig tail consolation match, won 8 in a row to take 3rd. 

9 D1 level college matches in 3 days!!  Amazing stamina just to walk out on the mat 9 times let alone win 8 of them.

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

I think you meant 2004, but yes, that was a great run by Cooperman. I believe he got 3rd the following two years but lost in the later rounds

Cooperman's four years at NCAA... He was a monster on the back-side of the bracket, with 10 bonus wins in 13 bouts.

2003 (#6 @ 133):  Did not weigh-in

2004 (#9 @ 141):  Top-Side: LBF, 0:26 in Pigtail; Consolations: MAJ, WBF, TF, WBF, DEC, (Loss to Gallick, 4-2), DEC for 7th

2005 (#4 @ 141):  Top-Side: MAJ, DEC, (LBF, 6:18 to Andy Simmons in QF); Consolations: TF, MAJ, WBF, MAJ for 3rd

2006 (#3 @ 141):  Top-Side: DEC, MAJ, WBF, (Loss to Ware, 2-1 in SF); Consolations: MAJ, MAJ for 3rd

Top-Side record: 5-3

Back-Side record: 12-1 (3 WBF, 2 TF, 5 MAJ, 2 DEC)

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Your absolutely correct Eagle... the curse of the onesies strikes again.

tanxs!

D3

24 minutes ago, crossface21 said:

A.J. Shopp did it in 2015. Lost his first match and won his next 7 matches to place 3rd. Won 4 of those by pin. Ended up scoring 21 team points, as much as at least one champion scored. 

AJ was a bad dude and really fun to pull for in March. Every once in a while you see/remember a name that gives you good wrestling memories and he’s one of those guys for me. 

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

9 D1 level college matches in 3 days!!  Amazing stamina just to walk out on the mat 9 times let alone win 8 of them.

Quisel then won his first four matches at the next NCAAs only to lose in the finals to Brett Matter of Penn.

Put another way, Quisel won 12 straight matches at NCAAs and did not win a title.

• Fire 3

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

3 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Quisel then won his first four matches at the next NCAAs only to lose in the finals to Brett Matter of Penn.

Put another way, Quisel won 12 straight matches at NCAAs and did not win a title.

also of note, in those 4 wins the next year he handed Iowa's TJ Williams his only career D1 loss. TJ went 1-3-1 at Iowa, with a record of 98-1.