Nate Jesuroga

stealyphil223

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

There's just some rumors that he wants to be a Navy SEAL and is pursuing that rather than wrestling.

Saw that awhile ago, just seems weird that a world bronze top recruit wouldn't have guys like Willie reaching out or even someone like Cody Goodwin who covers Iowa wrestling, asking questions about his future. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Who is more likely to suit up for the Hawkeyes - Jesuroga or Keuter?

I'll guess Jesuroga. Keuter could be making millions in 3 years time at a premium position. So I'd guess a lot of it will have to do with how he looks coming off his Freshmen year for the FB team. 

But a 6'4 225 OLBer with athleticsm...Iowa has a guy who was a backup for them projected to be a mid 1st round pick(Luke Van Ness-as high as #9 in some mocks).

33 minutes ago, stealyphil223 said:

Saw that awhile ago, just seems weird that a world bronze top recruit wouldn't have guys like Willie reaching out or even someone like Cody Goodwin who covers Iowa wrestling, asking questions about his future. 

People on the Iowa board have seen have seemed pretty certain for awhile he won’t be wrestling for them 

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

my pure guess is a kid who would choose to be an elite warrior probably is not too concerned with keeping every "fan" abreast of his every move... 

Meh, I hear you, just saying. Every ranking service, media seems to be in the dark on it. Majority of casual Iowa fans probably still think he's coming. Doesn't bother me one way or the other, but a small statement would easily dispel the fog. 

• Fire 2

20 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Sounds like he has a higher calling

Well...good for him. But I get the confusion with people who are wondering why there hasn't been more coverage on a program that generally...get a ton of coverage.

I don't think anyone's suggested he owes anyone anything.

Talk about mental toughness though. Hell week...I've talked to Wrestler's who've gone off to boot camp and kinda joked that it was a breeze compared to Wrestling and Seals talk about just how...mentally exhausting the week is. 

The 2 aren’t mutually exclusive. SEAL career could be pursued after college wrestling. Risky decision, given a 75% chance of failure in training pipeline and reassignment to cook. I’ve seen lots of elite athletes fail SEAL training. Good luck to him, though. 

14 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

The 2 aren’t mutually exclusive. SEAL career could be pursued after college wrestling. Risky decision, given a 75% chance of failure in training pipeline and reassignment to cook. I’ve seen lots of elite athletes fail SEAL training. Good luck to him, though. 

Exactly.  I know a Teams guy.  Did a greyshirt and then college.  They took him, no problem!

Not to mention that I have heard it said all the time that there is no real formula for guessing who will make it and who won't.  I am told that stud athletes fail all the time.  Supposedly a big thing is dealing with failure.  You are going to deal with finishing low, barely finishing, or failing various tests.  Sometimes star athletes can't deal with that.  (Does this sound right to anyone more knowledgeable than me?)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

100%. Hard to predict who will lose their cool in freezing ocean swims, etc. Ultimately it’s mind over matter, never quitting despite utter physical, mental, and psychological exhaustion. Elite athletes have an advantage that’s lasts about the first 6 hours. After that, anyone can be tougher than anyone else. 

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Why would it be risky? If he doesnt become a seal doesn’t he still have all eligibility still left to go back to school and wrestle. With the military paying a portion of the bill? I mean he would be the same age in his first year back as Cody Chittum. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I'd heard a rumor of concussion issues at the State tourney in February. Basically, the Navy told him if he gets another he is disqualified from enlisting. Doing a quick Google search, I am not sure if that is even a possibility, but it would make a lot more sense than the number one ranked kid just quitting during his senior year of high school. Burnout is also a real possibility. It's a strange decision either way.

"Injuries, including severe contusions and other wounds of the scalp and cerebral concussion, until a period of three months has elapsed."

Medical Conditions That Can Keep You from Joining the Military

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Why would it be risky? If he doesnt become a seal doesn’t he still have all eligibility still left to go back to school and wrestle. With the military paying a portion of the bill? I mean he would be the same age in his first year back as Cody Chittum. 

Ever done 3+ years in the Navy as a cook? He absolutely could succeed as a SEAL, but like I said, risky. He could also do college wrestling after the Navy, but 3+ years as a cook, he’d almost certainly be a 285lber!

I'm not sure if wrestling at Iowa would help or hinder Jesuroga from becoming a Navy SEAL. He would gain strength, conditioning, and mental toughness for sure (and a degree) but a wrestling career with the Hawks can come with some hefty physical tolls. Best of luck to the kid. 

3 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

Ever done 3+ years in the Navy as a cook? He absolutely could succeed as a SEAL, but like I said, risky. He could also do college wrestling after the Navy, but 3+ years as a cook, he’d almost certainly be a 285lber!

I'm not convinced of that narrative - I had a good buddy I wrestled with in high school who made it pretty far in the program but did not end up making the seals. He did not end up being a cook for 3 years...so I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. Guys that are that driven, as Jesuroga seems to be, don't usually go to dough at the age of 22. Time will tell. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I'm not convinced of that narrative - I had a good buddy I wrestled with in high school who made it pretty far in the program but did not end up making the seals. He did not end up being a cook for 3 years...so I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. Guys that are that driven, as Jesuroga seems to be, don't usually go to dough at the age of 22. Time will tell. 

maxresdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/us/navy-seals-recruits.html