Nate Jesuroga

stealyphil223

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He is still a little guy.

Some of the physical tests they go through are absolutely brutal and power dependent.

I know a seal and a ranger who are each relatively small.  Seems like elite abilities (physical and mental) are more important than size for this sort of thing.  Which makes sense to me.  

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

The 2 aren’t mutually exclusive. SEAL career could be pursued after college wrestling. Risky decision, given a 75% chance of failure in training pipeline and reassignment to cook. I’ve seen lots of elite athletes fail SEAL training. Good luck to him, though. 

...and vice versa.  He could restart wrestling after his enlistment.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, RYou said:

...and vice versa.  He could restart wrestling after his enlistment.  

Get a 27 year old former Navy Seal...break Charlie Jones record and probably win 4 NCs. T&T are playing the long game. That's a 4X Champ. What type of stress is a National Tournament if you're a Navy Seal?

I'm only about 10% serious...

10 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I know a seal and a ranger who are each relatively small.  Seems like elite abilities (physical and mental) are more important than size for this sort of thing.  Which makes sense to me.  

And then you have the SEAL I know or someone like Jocko Willink.  Both are absolute physical specimens that you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of.  There is no one body type that makes it through selection.

7 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Get a 27 year old former Navy Seal...break Charlie Jones record and probably win 4 NCs. T&T are playing the long game. That's a 4X Champ. What type of stress is a National Tournament if you're a Navy Seal?

I'm only about 10% serious...

Well, if he already has concussion issues, being in close quarters with explosives while breaching doors isn't going to really help him.

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, if he already has concussion issues, being in close quarters with explosives while breaching doors isn't going to really help him.

The Navy(and AF) are also excessively paranoid(probably a poor choice of words...maybe vigilant would be better?) about previous health issues. I know a Wrestler who had asthma when he was a kid. CLEARLY didn't have it when he grew up. Prolonged his admission by about 2 months, Air Force turned him down on that alone. I don't remember what he had to do to get past it, but he was Wrestling in the State Tournament, going into OT, beating guys(ending up Wrestling at Navy). Hadn't used an inhaler I guess since he was 5-6.

So did Nate have a concussion and the Navy gave him this warning(most likely that if he got another one he MAY not be able to join) or did it actually have anything to do with the number of severity of the concussions? 

I don't say this in a heartless way, but if you're going to become a Seal, the Navy is investing a LOT of money into you. They don't want to do that if you're potentially more inclined to have concussion issues or issues of any kind.

38 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

The Navy(and AF) are also excessively paranoid(probably a poor choice of words...maybe vigilant would be better?) about previous health issues. I know a Wrestler who had asthma when he was a kid. CLEARLY didn't have it when he grew up. Prolonged his admission by about 2 months, Air Force turned him down on that alone. I don't remember what he had to do to get past it, but he was Wrestling in the State Tournament, going into OT, beating guys(ending up Wrestling at Navy). Hadn't used an inhaler I guess since he was 5-6.

So did Nate have a concussion and the Navy gave him this warning(most likely that if he got another one he MAY not be able to join) or did it actually have anything to do with the number of severity of the concussions? 

I don't say this in a heartless way, but if you're going to become a Seal, the Navy is investing a LOT of money into you. They don't want to do that if you're potentially more inclined to have concussion issues or issues of any kind.

This was based on another post by another poster who claimed Nate did not wrestle this year due to previous concussion issues and the fear that he wouldn't be allowed to join the Navy/participate in BUD/S if he received another.  No idea how or why this medical information (if true) got out there.

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This was based on another post by another poster who claimed Nate did not wrestle this year due to previous concussion issues and the fear that he wouldn't be allowed to join the Navy/participate in BUD/S if he received another.  No idea how or why this medical information (if true) got out there.

I get where it's coming from. I'm just saying that having a concussion this year doesn't necessarily mean he has "concussion problems." 

If the Navy is going to make an investment in you, they want to make sure they're not making an investment into someone who...without sounding cruel, but could break down. 

So I don't doubt any of the story that he got a concussion, Navy said another and he couldn't wrestle. I'm just not sure that means he's got any more of an issue with concussions than any of us who've gotten concussions. 

4 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

And then you have the SEAL I know or someone like Jocko Willink.  Both are absolute physical specimens that you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of.  There is no one body type that makes it through selection.

Very true.  SF teams are much like ncaa wrestling teams.  Mixed backgrounds and body types with common mental traits Typically “older” operators have a better success rate in the schools because of their wisdom and moxie.   The schools do a great job revealing your character much more than building it. With that being said, some candidates make it through schools by playing the game.  There is no gaming once in the teams.   
   Nothing in the Army was as hard as two a day college practices while cutting weight, until I went to Ranger School.   Adding sleep deprivation to starvation, mental and physical exhaustion was a new level of suck.   This of course continued in follow on schools 

Staying injury free does not happen.  Your body gets broken down to a point where they told us it takes years off your life.  I can’t imagine wrestling at a high level after 6 years of being in SF.  

• Fire 2

The article that @Tigerfan shared is quite enlightening. I respect Jesuroga's choice to go after his dream of becoming a SEAL but it sucks that making it through BUDS is almost arbitrary and Navy careers can bottom out from those who don't make it through the program. That's a big roll of the dice.

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, One8alpha said:

Very true.  SF teams are much like ncaa wrestling teams.  Mixed backgrounds and body types with common mental traits Typically “older” operators have a better success rate in the schools because of their wisdom and moxie.   The schools do a great job revealing your character much more than building it. With that being said, some candidates make it through schools by playing the game.  There is no gaming once in the teams.   
   Nothing in the Army was as hard as two a day college practices while cutting weight, until I went to Ranger School.   Adding sleep deprivation to starvation, mental and physical exhaustion was a new level of suck.   This of course continued in follow on schools 

Staying injury free does not happen.  Your body gets broken down to a point where they told us it takes years off your life.  I can’t imagine wrestling at a high level after 6 years of being in SF.  

Thanks for your response and all you have done.  I am in awe of people who make it through these schools.  The lack of sleep and the exposure to the elements would do me in early.  (And this is coming from a marathoner who has done most of his training in the northeast, and doesn't miss a run if its 0 or 100. At least I get to go at my own pace and also choose what I am wearing.)

3 hours ago, BobDole said:

I really appreciated this interview and am happy that so many people are happy for Jesuroga. Best of luck to him in all he chooses to do moving forward.

• Fire 1

Probably a good lesson in there somewhere about kids comming so much of their young lives to wrestling, all the time at such a young age. When Jesuroga took time off for his injury it was like "wow, life is pretty good when I'm not cutting weight and grinding all year 'round". Happy to hear he's enjoying some time to himself before he gets back to it again.

• Fire 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:11 PM, nhs67 said:

He is still a little guy.

Some of the physical tests they go through are absolutely brutal and power dependent.

No training done in special forces is physically harder then anything a college wrestler does , it’s the mental challenges thrown at you while doing the physical stuff that’s so difficult and why only the elite make it …and plenty of small guys in special forces 

10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No training done in special forces is physically harder then anything a college wrestler does , it’s the mental challenges thrown at you while doing the physical stuff that’s so difficult and why only the elite make it …and plenty of small guys in special forces 

You're telling me a ~ 5'3", 120lbs 'Jesuroga' is going to be able to fireman carry 6'4", 225lb 'Keuter' for 400 meter run as easily as vice versa?

That is a load of bollocks.

Unless they pair them up by size and not randomly (which they pair up randomly in ~ '84/85) for team/partner drills.

Which is an even greater load of bollocks if so.

I have no doubt that NCAA D1 wrestling is more difficult, physically.  He isn't a D1 wrestler, though.  He was a D1 recruit.

Weight classes exist for a reason, mate.  Physically there will be some big things he will.br at a serious disadvantage at.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me