Nate Jesuroga

stealyphil223

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You're telling me a ~ 5'3", 120lbs 'Jesuroga' is going to be able to fireman carry 6'4", 225lb 'Keuter' for 400 meter run as easily as vice versa?

That is a load of bollocks.

Unless they pair them up by size and not randomly (which they pair up randomly in ~ '84/85) for team/partner drills.

Which is an even greater load of bollocks if so.

I have no doubt that NCAA D1 wrestling is more difficult, physically.  He isn't a D1 wrestler, though.  He was a D1 recruit.

Weight classes exist for a reason, mate.  Physically there will be some big things he will.br at a serious disadvantage at.

He's bigger than you think. Walks around at 150 now. 

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

He's bigger than you think. Walks around at 150 now. 

Well that disappoints me even more as a wrestling fan!

As an American, I wish him all the success this world has to offer.  Everything we all hold dear we owe to young men like him that came before him.  The safety and freedom if my posterity depends on him being the best.  I am okay with that.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You're telling me a ~ 5'3", 120lbs 'Jesuroga' is going to be able to fireman carry 6'4", 225lb 'Keuter' for 400 meter run as easily as vice versa?

Unless they pair them up by size and not randomly (which they pair up randomly in ~ '84/85) for team/partner drills.

I have no doubt that NCAA D1 wrestling is more difficult, physically.  He isn't a D1 wrestler, though.  He was a D1 recruit.

Weight classes exist for a reason, mate.  Physically there will be some big things he will.br at a serious disadvantage at.

Admiral McRaven doesn't think his size will be an issue.

https://brojure.com/miscellaneous/admiral-mcraven/a/1027/if-you-want-to-change-the-world-find-someone-to-help-you-paddle

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

My guess is that it is going to be difficult finding a lot of 5'3" guys to carry logs and boats with him in BUD/S.  I think the boat teams are usually made of guys of similar heights for that reason?

• Fire 2

16 hours ago, LJB said:

burnout is a myth...

good for the kid just doing what he wants and not what someone else wants...

none of his time was wasted...

My Greco coach used to say something along the lines that he never saw a good wrestler get burned out from wrestling, because wrestling is fun.  He said that he saw plenty of good wrestlers burnout from weight cutting.

• Fire 1

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

My Greco coach used to say something along the lines that he never saw a good wrestler get burned out from wrestling, because wrestling is fun.  He said that he saw plenty of good wrestlers burnout from weight cutting.

yep...

burnout is a word that gets thrown around by those with an excuse mentality...

20 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

When I interacted with SEALS is was struck by the variation in body type.  No one size fits all approach.  That said, no sumo / big bellies that I recall.

Any 55 year olds that like to surf still?

Asking for a friend.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

When I interacted with SEALS is was struck by the variation in body type.  No one size fits all approach.  That said, no sumo / big bellies that I recall.

This is a great story about two seals with totally different body types. I've read this a dozen times and it gives me chills each time. Part of the story was the basis for the Movie Bat 21, but Lieutenant Tommy Norris wasn't characterized in the film because it was still classified at the time. Also I might add that Tommy was a two time ACC conference champ wrestling for Maryland in 65 and 66.

https://homeofheroes.com/heroes-stories/vietnam-war/mike-thornton-tom-norris/

He’ll be fine once he gets on the typical pre-BUD/S “program”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It obviously does deeper than that. You put 15 years into something, it's more than just cutting. And winning is fun, the training...not fun. Baseball practice is "fun." Football practice is fun(or can be). I'm sure Basketball practice is fun(we used to play to warm up before 2-a-days before the season and over break. There are the crazy parents who are over the top and start their kids too young and go too intense(I think this is why Askren talks about not starting kids until their in 5th or 6th grades).

There are nagging injuries you don't get fixed because Wrestling is year-round. 

Burnout is most definitely a thing. 

Edited by scourge165
  • Fire 1

On 3/24/2023 at 8:14 AM, Theo Brixton said:

Here you go:

https://archive.is/sEjh1

You can use that site to find news articles from most major papers.

That seems disconcerting. 93 pct failure rate, punching and kicking recruits.

Clearly it's got to weed out the weak, but the guys who fail out would seem to still be among the elite and seemingly could be put to work doing...something more. This makes it sounds like they just kinda discard them, tying them up with menial tasks until their time is up.

It's certainly a big risk for Nate. Hope he makes it.

28 minutes ago, LJB said:

"burn out" is a thing for those who were never going to do it anyway...

i get why some would not want to hear that...

gets in the way of too many excuses...

Depends on when a kid burns out in my opinion. If you are taking about high school/college aged kids then sure. But when you are taking about very young kids training year round and cutting weight then burn out is real and easily avoidable through moderation. Watch the Keegan O’Toole documentary on Flo

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Gus said:

Depends on when a kid burns out in my opinion. If you are taking about high school/college aged kids then sure. But when you are taking about very young kids training year round and cutting weight then burn out is real and easily avoidable through moderation. Watch the Keegan O’Toole documentary on Flo

i don't need to watch a documentary...

i have two kids who were in two different countries from me wrestling last weekend...

we figured it out...

which is all anyone needs to do...

and if it is not important enough to figure out how to negotiate the realities of your chosen whatever then it was not important enough to that individual to begin with...

no shame in that...

no one needs to make up an excuse for them...

but...

so many who are unhappy with what happened in their lives/careers/whatever can not help themselves but to point fingers and find reasons why when the obvious answer is obvious...

painfully so...

but that answer does not make them feel all warm and fuzzy...

i get it...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

the ones who are unhappy and regretful are easy to pick out on an internet forum...

Baby Licking GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

LOL...are they? Because I know of elite Wrestlers who got burned out, but a Wrestling Dad says it's not a real thing?

Hey, I'm pulling for ya bud! Hope you turn it around...

Good Night Mcdaag GIF

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

LOL...are they? Because I know of elite Wrestlers who got burned out, but a Wrestling Dad says it's not a real thing?

Hey, I'm pulling for ya bud! Hope you turn it around...

Good Night Mcdaag GIF

i get it...

things did not turn out like you had planned...

it happens...

Shoulder Shrug Idk GIF by MOODMAN

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i get it...

things did not turn out like you had planned...

it happens...

Shoulder Shrug Idk GIF by MOODMAN

This is like the 9th time you've used this Gif...

LOL...it's hard to take a 'lil guy who never wrestled seriously when talking about burnout(or real Wrestling for that matter). And I promise you, there's not a Wrestler for whom things turned out how they had planned other than...maybe Cael(though even he had losses).

It changes when you're actually the one on the mat, not the one talking about your boys there bud.

It's also possible to understand burnout...without actually having dealt with it. I never said I burned out.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

This is like the 9th time you've used this Gif...

LOL...it's hard to take a 'lil guy who never wrestled seriously when talking about burnout(or real Wrestling for that matter). And I promise you, there's not a Wrestler for whom things turned out how they had planned other than...maybe Cael(though even he had losses).

It changes when you're actually the one on the mat, not the one talking about your boys there bud.

It's also possible to understand burnout...without actually having dealt with it. I never said I burned out.

i thought you were calling it a night?

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

i get it...

you can not help yourself...

it is all pretty easy to connect the dots...

but...

there are other things in this life, i promise you that...

get a couple more years on you and you will see...

9 minutes ago, LJB said:

i thought you were calling it a night?

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

i get it...

you can not help yourself...

it is all pretty easy to connect the dots...

but...

there are other things in this life, i promise you that...

get a couple more years on you and you will see...

You thought that? Because a Gif said it? You...you really take them all literal?

That explains a lot.

The rest is the usual incoherent nonsense. "Other things in life?" Are you saying there's more to life than Wrestling? Is that the "wisdom" you're imparting here? Wonderful. Where would we be without these gems you had out for free!

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

You thought that? Because a Gif said it? You...you really take them all literal?

That explains a lot.

The rest is the usual incoherent nonsense. "Other things in life?" Are you saying there's more to life than Wrestling? Is that the "wisdom" you're imparting here? Wonderful. Where would we be without these gems you had out for free!

You play the role you were designed to play…

we need people like you…

Vhs Kiss GIF by vhspositive