Noto / Penn State

D-1

13 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Well...as one PSU fan would have you believe, they NEED David Carr if they hope to win another Title next year! 

"Need" being the key word!

Seriously though, I'm rooting for Robbie Howard. I don't know anything about him, OTHER than his rough start trying to rehab that shoulder without surgery...which is real hit or miss. As someone who had that issue, I rehabbed mine, spend 4-5 hours a day for about 4 months trying to strengthen my shoulder with the trainer and got it back to where I thought it was stronger than ever....and then on a simple shot, got extended and it came out and had the surgery....which was an absolute nightmare. Shoulder surgery is a HELLUVA lot more painful than an knee, hip, pretty much anything other than a back or a neck and I'm just guessing on the last two as I was lucky enough to never have to deal with either. 

Anyway, the kid is a stud and I hope he can have a Beau Bartlett type coming out party this year. He was Rd of 12/16. Whatever it was, he came back and Wrestled one AA caliber Wrestler after another...

I'm rooting for Robbie Howard too, but given his injury history, I'd think PSU has to strongly consider all alternatives at 125 as that has been a problem weight ever since Nick Suriano left.   That said, I'd be hesitant to bring in a guy who hurls racial insults on the team if that is in fact the case.

Edited by CalWrestler

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You don’t know anything about him but you know he’s a stud?

I don’t know if I’d go that far (although his match with Minnino was one of the best HS matches of all time IMO) but I also don’t think Noto would be a noticeable upgrade.  There’s just so much parity at 125.  Noto lost to Heinselman this year and Howard has beaten (and lost twice to) Heinselman.  

And of course we all know the last time PSU got a mid-major transfer that finished 4th at NCAA’s the year before, he went 1-2 the next year…

As in personally. I don't know anything about him personally, I don't know exactly how or when he injured his shoulders. I don't know anything about a lot of Wrestlers and I can tell their studs from who they've Wrestled, beaten, how closely they've lost tight matches, how they do at the NCAAs as a True Freshmen. And he should have 4 years left. 

I don't really care about Noto...and I really don't see any correlation between he and Hildebrandt. 

41 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

As in personally. I don't know anything about him personally, I don't know exactly how or when he injured his shoulders. I don't know anything about a lot of Wrestlers and I can tell their studs from who they've Wrestled, beaten, how closely they've lost tight matches, how they do at the NCAAs as a True Freshmen. And he should have 4 years left. 

I don't really care about Noto...and I really don't see any correlation between he and Hildebrandt. 

The correlation between Noto and Hildebrandt is a little eerie to me honestly.   They both finished 4th while wrestling for a mid major, but also have multiple losses to guys that finished much lower.   There is a ton of parity at 125, so Noto is no shoo-in to AA again next year.

4 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I have seen it from NC State sources as well as from the father of the athlete that the slur was directed toward.

Also, seems to have a bit of an attitude problem.  Started chirping to NC State staff after his win vs. NC State this year.  Was still on the mat.  Multiple people held back/restrained, including his dad (I believe.)

Find the video.  It is out there.

To be fair, Pat Pop did not look great in that exchange either…

19 hours ago, D-1 said:

Not confirmed but rumored from a few good sources that Penn State approached Anthony Noto after his impressive 4th place finish last week. God knows they need a 125lber. Thought Robbie Howard was possibly returning next season? With all the NIL going on (ala Real Woods last season), this would not surprise me. I don't see him leaving a good thing @ Lock Haven!!

I just asked and this did happen like you said, but he said he wasn't looking to leave.  

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I doubt anyone “approached him” at NCAA’s.

They usually just wait until world competitions and have the NLWC athletes do it 

Could also have been approached by someone not officially affiliated with the program, for example, a potential NIL sponsor. That's something that can happen now.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The correlation between Noto and Hildebrandt is a little eerie to me honestly.   They both finished 4th while wrestling for a mid major, but also have multiple losses to guys that finished much lower.   There is a ton of parity at 125, so Noto is no shoo-in to AA again next year.

Hildebrandt was in his 7th year, came in at the semester and...IDK, feels different than a kid coming in with 3 years left in his career. 

That's just on the Mat. I don't know anything about either off the mat beyond there is an ugly accusation(that seems pretty credible) about Noto off the mat. I'm also of the mind that he's a kid and should be able to redeem himself from something like that...and it'd be up to PSU or anyone else to determine if he has.

Finally, I do agree with whoever said they'd prefer he stay at a Mid Major. I like seeing kids from Lock Haven and Lehigh and Cal Poly, Northern Col, etc...wrestling in big matches. So I don't really care if I'm being honest...beyond something I stated in a previous post that I don't necessarily think it's great for the sport to have one program that's SO completely dominant and you could be bringing in a possible title contender here. And even if he is "just" another Hildebrandt, I think he gets a looked over a bit. IRC, all of his losses were to pretty damn good Wrestlers as he went through the heart of PSU's schedule coming in Jan. 

Anyway, this all seems like a Keyser Soze...just made up out of thin air. Until I actually see that he's in the TP or whatever, it's just a hypothetical. 

47 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Could also have been approached by someone not officially affiliated with the program, for example, a potential NIL sponsor. That's something that can happen now.

I'd bet money that IF someone affiliated with the program contacted him, it was a Wrestler who knows him. I'm not saying the Sanderson's or Cunningham are morally beyond openly recruiting a guy(though...I find it hard to believe they'd risk the potential sanctions or any trouble).

I know of Two AAs that had people tied to multiple teams say, "you should come to...." It's generally just in passing...as I understand it. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

It's a sad fact that it happens at every level of college wrestling to smaller teams with one or two really good guys.

I mean, it happens in Wrestling. I wrestled at different kids clubs and they tried to get me to Wrestle at X High School, we were always getting this State Champ who was friends of a guy on our team JUUST at that weight we needed most. And...we DID get transfers and so did other schools.

So to think it wouldn't happen in College with programs like PSU, Iowa, or some of the programs...it's kinda silly. 

On 3/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I have seen it from NC State sources as well as from the father of the athlete that the slur was directed toward.

Also, seems to have a bit of an attitude problem.  Started chirping to NC State staff after his win vs. NC State this year.  Was still on the mat.  Multiple people held back/restrained, including his dad (I believe.)

Find the video.  It is out there.

Found it...

This was under the forum topic: Anthony Noto Drama back in November

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, scourge165 said:

I mean, it happens in Wrestling. I wrestled at different kids clubs and they tried to get me to Wrestle at X High School, we were always getting this State Champ who was friends of a guy on our team JUUST at that weight we needed most. And...we DID get transfers and so did other schools.

So to think it wouldn't happen in College with programs like PSU, Iowa, or some of the programs...it's kinda silly. 

Only getting back to this now.

Youth wrestling and college wrestling are worlds apart, especially on the level to which you're making effort to compare them here. One might be seen as a social no-no, backed by frowns and finger wagging, while the other is protected by by-laws and potentially severe penalties against institutions, coaches, and even student-athletes who practice such unethical behavior. They're not the same, and really shouldn't be seen as the same thing.

1 minute ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

Only getting back to this now.

Youth wrestling and college wrestling are worlds apart, especially on the level to which you're making effort to compare them here. One might be seen as a social no-no, backed by frowns and finger wagging, while the other is protected by by-laws and potentially severe penalties against institutions, coaches, and even student-athletes who practice such unethical behavior. They're not the same, and really shouldn't be seen as the same thing.

I understand that and I wasn't speaking to how right or wrong either was. I'm speaking more to the speculation about getting a transfer and how often it's talked about and how seldom it actually happens for the school in question. There were always rumors a Wrestler was going to transfer in to fill the hole we needed and it never happened.

The only times it did was when a kid who was in another school district open enrolled to start HS to Wrestle for our coach.

At this level, the speculation reminds me of being back in HS.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:28 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

That was rumored to have happened with Willits and AOC, right?