US Open - April 26th-30th, 2023

nhs67

Greetings All,

Next big event for us and winners get a huge advantage, at least for Men's Freestylr

In Men's Freestyle the winners all advance to Final X.  For weights where there is an incumbent Worlds medalist there will be no World Team Trials.

Only 61, 92, and 125 will hold World Team Trials, providing Cox does in fact go to 97 KG.

MEN'S FREESTYLE

57 - Gillman sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

61 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

65 - Diakomihalis sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

70 - Retherford sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

74 - Dake sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

79 - Burroughs sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

86 - Taylor sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

92 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

97 - Snyder sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

125 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

Does anyone know if Men's Greco Roman and Women's Freestyle will be doing it the same way?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Both Trent Hidlay and Zahid Valencia are entered at 86 KG.  I imagine the 86 KG guys who don't make Final X will go WTT at 92 KG?

Adam Coon is entered at 130 KG for Men's Greco Roman.

I imagine we see a slew of 97 KG guys split off snd go 125 KG or 92 KG if they don't make Final X.

I am rather interested to see what Isaac Trumble can do against 125 KG guys, honestly.

This is definitely going to make the US open a more premier event again.

And interesting point about the weight changes for the contested weights at WTT. Everyone that didn’t win the open in the next weight up or down might as well try a new weight for WTT. Or do they have to qualify at that specific weight? If not, we could get some interesting matches that we haven’t seen before

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Greetings All,

Next big event for us and winners get a huge advantage, at least for Men's Freestylr

In Men's Freestyle the winners all advance to Final X.  For weights where there is an incumbent Worlds medalist there will be no World Team Trials.

Only 61, 92, and 125 will hold World Team Trials, providing Cox does in fact go to 97 KG.

MEN'S FREESTYLE

57 - Gillman sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

61 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

65 - Diakomihalis sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

70 - Retherford sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

74 - Dake sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

79 - Burroughs sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

86 - Taylor sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

92 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

97 - Snyder sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

125 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

Does anyone know if Men's Greco Roman and Women's Freestyle will be doing it the same way?

Women's freestyle is the same.

Docs are here
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/team-usa/team-selection-criteria

WOMEN'S FREESTYLE

50 - Hildebrandt

53 - Parrish (Hey! I know that girl!) 

55 - No medalist

57 - Maroulis

59 - No medalist

62 - Miracle

65 - Velte

68 - Mensah-Stock

72 - Elor

76 - No medalist

Edited by Mike Parrish
  • Fire 1

58 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

This is definitely going to make the US open a more premier event again.

And interesting point about the weight changes for the contested weights at WTT. Everyone that didn’t win the open in the next weight up or down might as well try a new weight for WTT. Or do they have to qualify at that specific weight? If not, we could get some interesting matches that we haven’t seen before

I am also interested in some of that.

I expect Cox to win 97 KG US Open.  If he doesn't, though, do we see him go up to 125 KG?

I fully expect Hidlay to give 92 KG a go if he does not win the US Open 86 KG.  I don't know about Valencia or Hall.

I expect basically all the 57 KG guys who do not win to give 61 a go.  We might see some last minute choices of 65 KG guys going down to 61 KG, too.  A lot are very large, so I don't expect it.

Will we see any 79 KG, 74 KG, or dare I sat 70 KG guys attempt 92 KG?  Imagine Hayden and Trent both going 92 KG. 😂😂

Edited by nhs67

Guesses for world team

50 - I think Sarah has a mortal lock on this weight

53 - Dom will be hard to beat. Villeascusa's been out for a while. Heaton/Gross is in the mix.

55 - With Burkert still out, it's Winchester

57 - Helen owns this weight

59 - An open weight, but my money's on Maya Nelson, if she's healthy. Nette also has a good shot.

62 - Miracle should win. Page will challenge. Macey Hilty is also back. Adaugo Nwachukwu is my dark horse pick.

65 - Velte v Bruntil

68 - Tamara has a lock

72 - Elor has a lock

76 - The big mystery. Is Adeline coming back? Makoyed, Guilford, Blades, Bell... Could be a free for all.

Edited by Mike Parrish

2 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Guesses for world team

50 - I think Sarah has a mortal lock on this weight

53 - Dom will be hard to beat. Villeascusa's been out for a while. Heaton/Gross is in the mix.

55 - With Burkert still out, it's Winchester

57 - Helen owns this weight

59 - An open weight, but my money's on Maya Nelson, if she's healthy. Nette also has a good shot.

62 - Miracle should win. Page will challenge. Macey Hilty is also back.

65 - Velte v Bruntil

68 - Tamara has a lock

72 - Elor has a lock

76 - The big mystery. Is Adeline coming back? Makoyed, Guilford, Blades, Bell... Could be a free for all.

Pretty sure she is pregnant.

• Fire 2

i am still not super pumped that for anyone who can legitimately compete at seniors and juniors could only do both at the open if they wrestled and weighed in at scratch 3 days in a row...

no break at all...

seems a tab bit short sighted...

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Iowa said:

Yes I've been around. Over these years it's gotten only more confusing. My critiquing isn't targeted to your post. Selection process is hard to follow. It's not fan-friendly.

It's not fan-friendly. 

You've just described wrestling marketing strategy!

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iowa said:

Yes I've been around. Over these years it's gotten only more confusing. My critiquing isn't targeted to your post. Selection process is hard to follow. It's not fan-friendly.

I know it can be, fore sure.

For me it is easier to view the Olympic year as the outlier now.  It helps understand it a bit better.  I am old, though.

They added a shit tonne of importance to the US Open this year, though.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I know it can be, fore sure.

For me it is easier to view the Olympic year as the outlier now.  It helps understand it a bit better.  I am old, though.

They added a shit tonne of importance to the US Open this year, though.

When Dom got into national tournaments, I had to really go digging to find the documents that governed seeding and qualifiers.

Even when I had them, the procedures have always been labyrinthine.

Try explaining the rules to non-wrestling friends who want to follow along.

I'd favor a single tournament over two days.
Day 1: Challenge tournament, double elimination, wrestle back to third
Day 2: Best 2 out of 3 finals, true second, if necessary.

Anything that makes it hard to understand is a bad idea.
For example, the new rules around the U23 team selection.

• Fire 2

nhs, based on your post, there will be no WTT for 57kg weight class (for an example).

From the past, I understood that a previous year medalist get auto berth to Final X.  

From the past, I understood there was a WTT for every weight class to either choose 2 for final x in the even there is no previous medalist or 1 to face the medalist at Final X. 

From the past I understood that WTT was filled with US open placers and then some others. 

But now

It appears now that medalists still get auto berth to Final X

It appears now that in the case of a medalist already in Final X, US open winner will be the opponent in Final X.   No WTT will be held. 

It appears now that in the case of no medallist, US open winner and WTT winner will be in Final X. 

Do I have that all correct?   This seems needlessly confusing. 

Why not have winner and #2 from US open fight it out in final X?  Cut out the WTTs altogether which they almost have anyway.   WTT will be a shell of what it was.  

I don't mind the medalist getting a break, but US open sets up seeds for WTTs when determines the final participants in Final X.   That is pretty straightforward.  

Anyway, if you could confirm or clarify my understanding above, that would be great. 

mspart

14 minutes ago, mspart said:

nhs, based on your post, there will be no WTT for 57kg weight class (for an example).

From the past, I understood that a previous year medalist get auto berth to Final X.  

From the past, I understood there was a WTT for every weight class to either choose 2 for final x in the even there is no previous medalist or 1 to face the medalist at Final X. 

From the past I understood that WTT was filled with US open placers and then some others. 

But now

It appears now that medalists still get auto berth to Final X

It appears now that in the case of a medalist already in Final X, US open winner will be the opponent in Final X.   No WTT will be held. 

It appears now that in the case of no medallist, US open winner and WTT winner will be in Final X. 

Do I have that all correct?   This seems needlessly confusing. 

Why not have winner and #2 from US open fight it out in final X?  Cut out the WTTs altogether which they almost have anyway.   WTT will be a shell of what it was.  

I don't mind the medalist getting a break, but US open sets up seeds for WTTs when determines the final participants in Final X.   That is pretty straightforward.  

Anyway, if you could confirm or clarify my understanding above, that would be great. 

mspart

I believe your interpretation is the same as mine.

61, 92, and 125 will have WTT towards the end of May.

All other weights will have their Final X participants decided by 11:59 PM on April 30th.

The caveat is that medalists have until April 21st to accept their Final X bids.  If they do not accept by then there will be a WTT just like the other three non-medalist weights.

One thing, as a fan, I do like is that Top 7 placers from the Open qualify for WTT.

That means we could potentially see the the 2nd-7th placers from 74 KG, 79 KG, 86 KG, 92 KG, and 97 KG as well as any past medalists, age level champs, NCAA champs, etc all try to give 92 KG WTT a go.

That would be so phucking cool, yes?

Yes, I do understand weight classes exist for a reason... still though... right?

I know the rules to weigh in, insofar as 'must wear a USAW singlet' etc.

Are there rules for minimum weight?  Muat they weigh in over 86 KG to wrestle 92 KG, for example?