US Open - April 26th-30th, 2023

nhs67

On 3/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, mspart said:

WTTs will be a skeleton of what they were.   I hope this is not a patter for OTTs.   That is a fun event to attend. 

mspart

I believe OTTs are run differently because OSOPC is involved. 

On 3/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, nhs67 said:

I know the rules to weigh in, insofar as 'must wear a USAW singlet' etc.

Are there rules for minimum weight?  Muat they weigh in over 86 KG to wrestle 92 KG, for example?

Not sure.  I know you have to be on time and they don't accept excuses.

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 9:09 AM, Mike Parrish said:

Guesses for world team

50 - I think Sarah has a mortal lock on this weight

53 - Dom will be hard to beat. Villeascusa's been out for a while. Heaton/Gross is in the mix.

55 - With Burkert still out, it's Winchester

57 - Helen owns this weight

59 - An open weight, but my money's on Maya Nelson, if she's healthy. Nette also has a good shot.

62 - Miracle should win. Page will challenge. Macey Hilty is also back. Adaugo Nwachukwu is my dark horse pick.

65 - Velte v Bruntil

68 - Tamara has a lock

72 - Elor has a lock

76 - The big mystery. Is Adeline coming back? Makoyed, Guilford, Blades, Bell... Could be a free for all.

I guess that answers that.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 08-16-25 USA Wrestling Membership.png

So for Men's Freestyle I would say these guys are the current favorites w/ who is currently listed as entered...

57 KG - Nicky Skeletor

That puts it as Gillman VS Suriano at Final X

61 KG - Seth Gross

He would sit out awaiting the winner of the 61 KG WTT

65 KG - Ian Parker

That puts it as Diakomihalis VS Parker at Final X

70 KG - Hayden Hidlay

That would put it as Retherford VS Hidlay at Final X

74 KG - Vincenzo Joseph

That would put it as Dake VS Joseph at Final X

79 KG - Muhamed McBryde

That would put it as Burroughs VS McBryde at Final X

86 KG - Zahid Valencia

That would out it as Taylor VS Valencia at Final X

92 KG - Nate Jackson

He would sit out awaiting the winner of the 92 KG WTT

97 KG - Isaac Trumble

That would put it as Snyder VS Trumble at Final X

125 KG - Hayden Zillmer

He would sit out awaiting the winner of the 125 KG WTT

I expect registration to pick up soon.

I also expect a lot of people to misunderstand requirements this year and we hear a lot of background noise of 'Oh I didn't know there was no WTT this year for my weight!'

Untitled.png.b445674eab5d894a7e3dbfb5e0743772.png

On 3/24/2023 at 6:43 AM, nhs67 said:

I imagine we see a slew of 97 KG guys split off snd go 125 KG or 92 KG if they don't make Final X.

It will be interesting to see which way the 97ers decide to go. Even if a guy is cutting hard for 97kg, it's not a lot of time to fill in and adjust to 125. Having to atrophy down to 92 in ~5 weeks won't be easy for some either, but on the surface looks like the more realistic option. 

I wish I had been introduced to Greco more as a kid.  Growing up it was folkstyle as the way we were introduced to the sport.  And for those that were all year round wrestlers who were competitive at folk, they would be introduced to freestyle.  Greco wasn't really ever a thought for me growing up.  But my body type and wrestlikg style would have been better there than folk or free

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

I wish I had been introduced to Greco more as a kid.  Growing up it was folkstyle as the way we were introduced to the sport.  And for those that were all year round wrestlers who were competitive at folk, they would be introduced to freestyle.  Greco wasn't really ever a thought for me growing up.  But my body type and wrestlikg style would have been better there than folk or free

it is a path for world glory that is purposely sh!t on in this country because of fear and ignorance...

it is the truest form of the sport and the reason it was created we have in existence today...

pure man sh!t...

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

it is a path for world glory that is purposely sh!t on in this country because of fear and ignorance...

it is the truest form of the sport and the reason it was created we have in existence today...

pure man sh!t...

I have come to appreciate it very late to the game.  But question for you: how did you get introduced to Greco in the first place? My feeling is that there may be pockets of the US which are more into it but I truly have no idea

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

I have come to appreciate it very late to the game.  But question for you: how did you get introduced to Greco in the first place? My feeling is that there may be pockets of the US which are more into it but I truly have no idea

100%...

it is definitely regional...

i got introduced to greco in OK in about 2013...

carter young and my oldest used to wrestle every spring and summer when most 8 year olds were playing baseball... carter used to smash my oldest 3Xs a weekend every year for awhile because those two showed up every weekend no matter what... his mother signed him up for greco one weekend and the only other kid who signed up was a first weekend wrestler my younger son's weight... so she asked if my boys would sign up so carter did not have to hurt this kid...

this basically meant that my oldest got to lose to carter 6Xs a weekend instead of just 3...

from the moment the boys faked like they knew what they were doing i was hooked...

it just appealed to my families sensibilities...

no breaks...

you being genetically better does not necessarily matter if i am willing to get in your face and make you dance...

if you have heart and grit and you are willing to get dirty you will be successful...

what is better than that?

nothing...

• Fire 1

with that being said...

OK knows greco like this and every other forum knows greco...

that is to say not even a little...

north... northwest...

for whatever reason places where it is hard to live in this country embrace greco... 

i could give a reason for that but it would not go over well...

• Fire 1

Sorry to interrupt gents...

Senior Men Freestyle

Freestyle

79 kg

Max Rohskopf

Talk about a blast from the past...

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/13645/rohskopf-max/profile

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/168728-max-rohskopf

I watched his last fight and was like 'Wait.  No way.'

He pinned Michigan's Brian Murphy at the All Star Classic after dropping down to 157.  Unfortunately his senior season was cut short.

• Fire 1

Gross tends to give up points in bunches and can be exploited by guys who have a serious speed advantage on him.

Against a guy who scores early and often it will cost him.  It did at worlds last year and it would against Arujau.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:25 AM, nhs67 said:

So for Men's Freestyle I would say these guys are the current favorites w/ who is currently listed as entered...

97 KG - Isaac Trumble

That would put it as Snyder VS Trumble at Final X

I expect registration to pick up soon.

I also expect a lot of people to misunderstand requirements this year and we hear a lot of background noise of 'Oh I didn't know there was no WTT this year for my weight!'

Where does Cox fit into the 97kg question?   Is he injured hard so he can't compete?  I would figure it would be Cox's to lose if he is healthy.

mspart

47 minutes ago, mspart said:

Where does Cox fit into the 97kg question?   Is he injured hard so he can't compete?  I would figure it would be Cox's to lose if he is healthy.

mspart

Cox wasn't entered when I posted that.  I was only going off who was entered.

He still isn't entered fwiw.

56 minutes ago, mspart said:

I hope he is ok, but getting weird advice.   If he is ok, he needs to wake up soon.  If he is not ok, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Any word on his social media?  

mspart

Well if he is not okay I would expect him to accept the Final X bid.  Being a returning medalist he can request and extension to the Final X wrestleoff.