US Open - April 26th-30th, 2023

nhs67

7 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Ref calling stalemate with Brooks in good positions vs Hall.  2 times.  Brooks winning 4-1.  Now 6-1.  Hall just doesn’t have elite offense.

This is very odd to me, and I will take a minute from trolling PSU, and ask a legit question: How did PSU botch the development of Mark Hall?

Coming in, Hall was a multi-time age level world champ. His credentials were similar to those of Lee and Gable and he was talked about as in similar tones. He was the future of USA freestyle. 

His college career is now several years in the past. He was “only” a one time NCAA champ and hasn’t really made waves on the national or world freestyle stage. 

Many of us would kill or die for his career, but he still seems to have fallen short of expectations. Quite a bit short. 

By all accounts, he seems to be a great guy and a good young coach. Maybe this is his future path. Maybe he will coach the next generation of US champs?

it just seems that for some reason, that Cael and company couldn’t get him to that next level, and that’s somewhat of a surprise. 

7 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Gable was definitely saying "oh he's catching up? He's catching up? Who's catching up??" When mason came over and was like dude c'mon chill 

Is that actually what was said? That sounds more plausible. I was just making a joke. 

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I’m happy Aaron Brooks found Jesus because tonight he is going to meet his maker

It did surprise me that the FLoBros basically were saying 'Aaron Brooks next topic' when discussing 86 KG.

Zahid had one bad international tournament, but has dominated everyone aside for DT and Bo domestically since he was at 79 KG.  I don't think I expect his match with Brooks to be much different than a Valencia-Hall match looks.  After(not IF) Valencia scores Brooks will be forced to open up to try to score himself.

The one aside is that Brooks is a solid 20lbs beefier than the last time they wrestled.  He is full-man now.

I still don't see him beating Valencia.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

There won’t be any MFFs other than Spencer Lee. He’s the only one who has ever done it. Certainly no PSU/NLWC guys will MFF. They are not quitters. 

I was of the opinion that I thought if Starocci lost at all prior to the finals that he was going to MFF out.

Let's see if I was correct.

16 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

and looked small next to gable

Steveson is on that WWE workout regimen.

20 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

You guys are writing Brooks off against Zahid? 

I am.  He has had nothing in the skill department for Zahid in two prior matches.  He might have physically developed over the last two years, but he his development has been comparable at best in the skill department with Zahid.  At best.  Zahid has shown very good signs of improvement on the international scene and if it weren't for one bad tournament a lot of people would be taking him to win via Tech.

Derek Gilcher is quietly having himself one hell of a US Open.

I would love to see him at 165lbs next season and Michael North make the drop to 157lbs.

That would allow me to see the Michael North - Nicholas South matchup when Indiana and Maryland meet.

I actually need to see that.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Impressive showing thus far from high schooler Aiden Valencia. He wrestled Desanto tough and has knocked off Coliaocco, Shelton Mack & Josh Rodriguez on the backside. 

Yes.  I watched the Desanto match, and thought it was an interesting result.  I would not have given Desanto much of a chance to beat Gross and Colon after Seeing the Valencia match.  I guess Valencia is just that darn good!

• Fire 2

46 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I am.  He has had nothing in the skill department for Zahid in two prior matches.  He might have physically developed over the last two years, but he his development has been comparable at best in the skill department with Zahid.  At best.  Zahid has shown very good signs of improvement on the international scene and if it weren't for one bad tournament a lot of people would be taking him to win via Tech.

Ehhh, I am a Zahid fan but think Brooks is going to turn the tables this time around. Hopefully I'm wrong here. 

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This is very odd to me, and I will take a minute from trolling PSU, and ask a legit question: How did PSU botch the development of Mark Hall?

Coming in, Hall was a multi-time age level world champ. His credentials were similar to those of Lee and Gable and he was talked about as in similar tones. He was the future of USA freestyle. 

His college career is now several years in the past. He was “only” a one time NCAA champ and hasn’t really made waves on the national or world freestyle stage. 

Many of us would kill or die for his career, but he still seems to have fallen short of expectations. Quite a bit short. 

By all accounts, he seems to be a great guy and a good young coach. Maybe this is his future path. Maybe he will coach the next generation of US champs?

it just seems that for some reason, that Cael and company couldn’t get him to that next level, and that’s somewhat of a surprise. 

Hall only had three NCAA postseasons because of COVID, and he finished 1-2-2. Both runner-up placements were to Zahid. I’d say that’s an impressive college career.

International wrestling is unpredictable. You can’t ever know how a high schooler will perform at the senior level. Judgments of senior-level wrestlers also tend to be harsh. A guy can be world class, but it often doesn’t matter because people like to focus on medals. 

4 minutes ago, peanut said:

Hall only had three NCAA postseasons because of COVID, and he finished 1-2-2. Both runner-up placements were to Zahid. I’d say that’s an impressive college career.

International wrestling is unpredictable. You can’t ever know how a high schooler will perform at the senior level. Judgments of senior-level wrestlers also tend to be harsh. A guy can be world class, but it often doesn’t matter because people like to focus on medals. 

Covid messed up stuff for a lot of guys, but few people are giving Lugo a title because of it.  Hall looked good against Kem in Big 10, but had a loss to Kem in the dual.  The Mark Hall that we were supposed to be getting wasn't supposed to be in the same ballpark as Kem.

Keep in mind that Hall won two golds at Junior Worlds, and one at cadets.  Zahid, a one time silver, was really good, but not thought to be in Hall's stratosphere coming in.

Things change, guys develop at different rates, etc.  But Hall's career trajectory did not go as planned.  In fact, he doesn't seem to have much "go to" offense tbh

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Covid messed up stuff for a lot of guys, but few people are giving Lugo a title because of it.  Hall looked good against Kem in Big 10, but had a loss to Kem in the dual.  The Mark Hall that we were supposed to be getting wasn't supposed to be in the same ballpark as Kem.

Keep in mind that Hall won two golds at Junior Worlds, and one at cadets.  Zahid, a one time silver, was really good, but not thought to be in Hall's stratosphere coming in.

Things change, guys develop at different rates, etc.  But Hall's career trajectory did not go as planned.  In fact, he doesn't seem to have much "go to" offense tbh

I think an age-group medalist would more likely than not be an All-American. But I don’t think you can really create expectations beyond that. We’re talking about high schoolers here. As you note, a ton happens after high school — and I’d add that that idea applies to all sports. 

2 minutes ago, peanut said:

I think an age-group medalist would more likely than not be an All-American. But I don’t think you can really create expectations beyond that. We’re talking about high schoolers here. As you note, a ton happens after high school — and I’d add that that idea applies to all sports. 

How many three time age group gold medalists have "only" one NCAA title?