US Open - April 26th-30th, 2023

nhs67

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Pardon me. I should have clarified.

He believes that peaking is a mindset. And that you should be better every week.

As opposed to the planning of structured training to deliver a physically ready and optimized athlete for the most important period of their college season, the NCAA tournament. Structured training which should, if done correct, result in training overload and then recovery periods. Making it, quite literally, impossible for you to be better every week. 

I think this is a little...not misleading, but unfair. He's not going in depth and talking about cyclical training cycles and rest and recovery and building up for an event, he's talking about just getting better and standard Iowa talk.

I'm sure he knows that you need to ramp it up for a period of time and then...as you get closer to competition, ramp is back down so guys are physically peaking.

I mean...he does say exactly what you said, but I think you're giving him too little credit. Do you really think he's dumb enough that he thinks Wrestling at the College and Sr level is just like constantly climbing a Mountain? You're just ALWAYS grinding, you're never trying to hit that peak at the right time? That the week before they were going as hard as any other week with 150 minute workouts running stadium stairs?

I can't believe that's true.

I really think that's just the "you've always gotta be improving," coach-speak that means very little. He has to have a plan to have guys peak. 

• Fire 2

Two more in the Finals at U20 Free for the ILLINI RTC. Joey Braunagel with a headlock throw and pin in the Semis. (IMAR went nuts)! Kannon Webster with the decision over Jesse Mendez in the semis. A counter-takedown followed by a gut wrench did it for the ILLINI recruit. 

So, for those of you who thought that Danny and Zac Braunagel were quite enough Braunagels, well, there's another Brawlnagel, and he loves to toss people on their heads. He has a total Lucas Byrd attitude in that regard. Look for him to battle for the 197 spot after Zac graduates. 

Kannon Webster is still in high school, and he's already beaten NCAA qualifiers. Now, he's beaten an All American. He's the #10 recruit in the class according to this website.

It was pretty cool for Kannon to wear the "Richards" singlet for this tournament. I can foresee the legion of Zaniacs growing. Gilman should forfeit? 

Caden Ernd still has some work to get to the Bronze Match. 

Finally, a guy who deserves a bunch of credit for the transformation of Zane Richards (along with Medlin):

ILLINIWRESTLING73.jpg

7 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Kennedy Blades is one bad (great) wrestler.  Techs a 6 time World Champ.

She is now arguably the best female American wrestler since TMS has stepped off the stage for the time being ... even if her credentials are not yet what some others have at the Senior level.

She's at least certainly the one with the most potential.

I said a few years ago on the old forum that if Blades went up to 76kg closer to the Olympic cycle and kept progressing that she'd have a great, long career because nobody would be able to deal with her length and athleticism.

However, let's not forget Adeline had twins.  Having twins myself, I can guarantee you that there's almost no time for anything else besides taking care of them when they are this young.  I was completely exhausted and my wife was way more exhausted than I was. 

Blades is NOT the best female American wrestler, either.  She hasn't won anything of significance yet on the senior level.  The ranking tournament she won was weaker than the Zagreb Open in terms of quality of competitors.   Her best international win so far was overwhelming Medet Kyzy at Ibrahim Moustafa with her speed and athleticism and that was good to see because I saw her potential turning into results against one of the better ranked 76kg wrestlers.  Her best domestic win was over Makoyed at the US Open

You are right in saying she has the most potential, but we'll have to see how she does at the WTT and Final X.  If she takes the spot, I definitely think she can medal at the World Championships.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I think this is a little...not misleading, but unfair. He's not going in depth and talking about cyclical training cycles and rest and recovery and building up for an event, he's talking about just getting better and standard Iowa talk.

I'm sure he knows that you need to ramp it up for a period of time and then...as you get closer to competition, ramp is back down so guys are physically peaking.

I mean...he does say exactly what you said, but I think you're giving him too little credit. Do you really think he's dumb enough that he thinks Wrestling at the College and Sr level is just like constantly climbing a Mountain? You're just ALWAYS grinding, you're never trying to hit that peak at the right time? That the week before they were going as hard as any other week with 150 minute workouts running stadium stairs?

I can't believe that's true.

I really think that's just the "you've always gotta be improving," coach-speak that means very little. He has to have a plan to have guys peak. 

I don't know... LeDuke told me that he heard Iowa had a three hour practice the day before nationals, because Brands wanted to make the boys mentally tougher!  No tapering whatsoever!  The Brands believe tapering is fiction!

😉

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I don't know... LeDuke told me that he heard Iowa had a three hour practice the day before nationals, because Brands wanted to make the boys mentally tougher!  No tapering whatsoever!  The Brands believe tapering is fiction!

😉

Damn it

Desanto finally could have won a significant tournament for the first time since his HS Senior States Title tournament that was only significant for Spencer Frckn Lee placing 2nd at.

Poor Desanto.  If he had a coach that was modern...

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Here you go. Start at 18:00. Some of the craziest shit I’ve heard a coach of high level athletes say. Parents, this is why you don’t send your kids to Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Here you go. Start at 18:00. Some of the craziest shit I’ve heard a coach of high level athletes say. Parents, this is why you don’t send your kids to Iowa.

Seems like you are taking everything out of context. He basically says that peaking, overtraining, and burnout are mostly mental. Which is true. It’s pretty evident that Cael is getting his guys to peak at the right time with more mental training than physical training. 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Seems like you are taking everything out of context. He basically says that peaking, overtraining, and burnout are mostly mental. Which is true. It’s pretty evident that Cael is getting his guys to peak at the right time with more mental training than physical training. 

Are you saying you can't physically overtrain or burn out? 

• Fire 4

2 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

No and Brands isn’t either

The interviewer gave Brands what the research shows, and then had to ask him several times to clarify his answer because he kept saying it is a state of mind.

My interpretation of Brands answer is that he thinks the mind breaks first and subsequent to that the athlete fails to reach their peak. The science is the other way around. Science says that if you over train you will not be in peak condition at the right time. It is why athletes "taper" going into competition. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

No and Brands isn’t either

Yeah...but he is though. I REALLY tried on this one to play devils advocate. He repeatedly refers to it as a "state of mind."

It's really not. Peaking a physical(there's a mental aspect to it, but that's because you're both fresh and you're....ya know, PEAKING so you feel your best at the right time). 

I don't know what the hell Brands is talking about anymore, but he's really doubling down on the only way you can overtrain or NOT peak is if your head isn't clear or you're not in the right frame of mind. 

I still believe they have to be using basic common sense and then some sense that's not common and they've got their own way of preparing for the NCAAs or the Open, WTTs, whatever it may be...but listening to him speak there would not be the best selling point if you were looking at Iowa. Luckily...recruits on a level Iowa is talking to them get to ask about these types of things. 

7 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I said a few years ago on the old forum that if Blades went up to 76kg closer to the Olympic cycle and kept progressing that she'd have a great, long career because nobody would be able to deal with her length and athleticism.

However, let's not forget Adeline had twins.  Having twins myself, I can guarantee you that there's almost no time for anything else besides taking care of them when they are this young.  I was completely exhausted and my wife was way more exhausted than I was. 

Blades is NOT the best female American wrestler, either.  She hasn't won anything of significance yet on the senior level.  The ranking tournament she won was weaker than the Zagreb Open in terms of quality of competitors.   Her best international win so far was overwhelming Medet Kyzy at Ibrahim Moustafa with her speed and athleticism and that was good to see because I saw her potential turning into results against one of the better ranked 76kg wrestlers.  Her best domestic win was over Makoyed at the US Open

You are right in saying she has the most potential, but we'll have to see how she does at the WTT and Final X.  If she takes the spot, I definitely think she can medal at the World Championships.

Blades doesn't need to go to WTT.  She's already in Final X as the winner of the US Open.

It's not just that she beat Gray; she completely dominated her.  She's pinned Welker as well.  And she's beat Molinari in a dominant fashion, among others. She made the finals of the Olympic trials at age 17 and only lost to Olympic champion, Mensah-Stock. 

As of summer 2021, Blades was already a three-time Fargo national champion. She was able to win a 16U title in 2018 and won double titles in 2019. Also in 2019, she took home a Pan-Am gold medal.

And Blades is not now even 20 years old.  Yes, lots of challenges ahead on the senior level, but she is a force of nature.

I get that Gray just had twins, but I don't see her coming back and beating this phenom. 

Well, at least we agree about her potential.

A few of Blade's achievements:

• 2021 Jr. World Champion
  • 2021 UWW Junior Nationals Champion
  • 2019 Junior National Champion
  • 2019 16U National Champion
  • 2019 Vorobieva International Cadet Champion
  • 2019 UWW Cadet Nationals Champion
  • 2018 Cadet National Champion
  • First female to win IKWD Novice states competing against boys in 2016

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

56 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

The interviewer gave Brands what the research shows, and then had to ask him several times to clarify his answer because he kept saying it is a state of mind.

My interpretation of Brands answer is that he thinks the mind breaks first and subsequent to that the athlete fails to reach their peak. The science is the other way around. Science says that if you over train you will not be in peak condition at the right time. It is why athletes "taper" going into competition. 

My personal take is Tom Brands tried to overthink his explanation when his own coach put it so simply to Terry Brands, "You should only train really hard when you feel really good. And when you don't feel really good just do things to get you to feel really good so you can get ready to train really hard."  -Dan Gable

• Fire 3

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Seems like you are taking everything out of context. He basically says that peaking, overtraining, and burnout are mostly mental. Which is true.

Anyone who knows anything about training knows that that is definitely *not* true.  There are measurable physiological markers for peaking and overtraining.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

My personal take is Tom Brands tried to overthink his explanation ...

I don't think there is any scientific evidence that this is possible.  🙄

But related to the science, peaking, tappering etc we've known for prob 3+ decades that you have to have easier training days to be able to go harder on the hard days, plus there's a science to peaking and tappering.  Difference is early on we only had the technology in certain sports to know what was "hard & easy."  Now that tech is available and works for almost any sport.  

• Haha 1

These cautions + 1 are becoming super subjective and gratuitous.  They affect the course of the match in bad ways.  The refs are throwing them out right and left in very questionable situations when the offensive wrestler drives the other guy out.

Hmm.  I wonder if there will be an attempt to use  AI to judge matches in the future.  

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Damn it

Desanto finally could have won a significant tournament for the first time since his HS Senior States Title tournament that was only significant for Spencer Frckn Lee placing 2nd at.

Poor Desanto.  If he had a coach that was modern...

I think the “Iowa style” was perfect for Desanto honestly.  I’m not sure it’s possible for him to train too hard

Just now, 1032004 said:

I think the “Iowa style” was perfect for Desanto honestly.  I’m not sure it’s possible for him to train too hard

It was a joke...

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

"Overtraining" isn't as common as most of us think.

What most of us here are referring to as overtraining is often called "overreaching" by sports scientists.  

Overtraining takes months to recover from.  Overreaching can be rectified in a period of days.

Some of the teams do a lot of "overreaching" then.  Shouldn't go into natties with sore muscles.

7 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Anyone who knows anything about training knows that that is definitely *not* true.  There are measurable physiological markers for peaking and overtraining.

It can be (and is) both physical and mental. They go together and it’s pretty much a chicken/egg argument on what comes first, but most coaches will agree that the mental aspect is more important for peaking for the postseason. That doesn’t mean they ignore the physical side of things though. I guarantee you that everyone including Iowa is tapering their physical training before NCAAs.

I haven't watch a lot of Zahid's international matches, but, does he wrestle from his knees like this against European wrestlers? 

Seems like that's pretty negative wrestling and could be considered "avoiding the hold" or whatever the official term is. 

6 hours ago, Le duke said:

I haven't watch a lot of Zahid's international matches, but, does he wrestle from his knees like this against European wrestlers? 

Seems like that's pretty negative wrestling and could be considered "avoiding the hold" or whatever the official term is. 

IIRC Focus got nailed for it against Honis twice last time he (Focus) wrestled the senior level.

IIRC Focus got nailed for it against Honis twice last time he (Focus) wrestled the senior level.

I just watched it again. With a stopwatch.

Zahid spent over 90 seconds of a 6 minute match on his knees. That’s pathetic.