US Open - April 26th-30th, 2023

nhs67

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

I just watched it again. With a stopwatch.

Zahid spent over 90 seconds of a 6 minute match on his knees. That’s pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If done right only 90 seconds is all some guys need when they're on their knees...

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

55 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I just watched it again. With a stopwatch.

Zahid spent over 90 seconds of a 6 minute match on his knees. That’s pathetic.

He generates offense from there, so it is not passivity.

I went back and rewatched a couple of the finals matches, I must say after three times watching the Sasso/Berger final minute I am not sure I agree with the ruling of the challenge. It did not seem like Berger did anything that enabled Sasso to expose his chest wrap and felt like the scoring should have remained 2 and 1, but again I will be the first to admit I am not a genius on the freestyle scoring more just a fan.

On 4/30/2023 at 2:14 PM, SocraTease said:

Blades doesn't need to go to WTT.  She's already in Final X as the winner of the US Open.

It's not just that she beat Gray; she completely dominated her.  She's pinned Welker as well.  And she's beat Molinari in a dominant fashion, among others. She made the finals of the Olympic trials at age 17 and only lost to Olympic champion, Mensah-Stock. 

As of summer 2021, Blades was already a three-time Fargo national champion. She was able to win a 16U title in 2018 and won double titles in 2019. Also in 2019, she took home a Pan-Am gold medal.

And Blades is not now even 20 years old.  Yes, lots of challenges ahead on the senior level, but she is a force of nature.

I get that Gray just had twins, but I don't see her coming back and beating this phenom. 

Well, at least we agree about her potential.

A few of Blade's achievements:

• 2021 Jr. World Champion
  • 2021 UWW Junior Nationals Champion
  • 2019 Junior National Champion
  • 2019 16U National Champion
  • 2019 Vorobieva International Cadet Champion
  • 2019 UWW Cadet Nationals Champion
  • 2018 Cadet National Champion
  • First female to win IKWD Novice states competing against boys in 2016

lol....nobody counts national titles unless your career is done and can't achieve anything else.  I don't take too much stock in that Pan-Am championship from 2018 because winning that tournament is like winning the Spanish Grand Prix.  For any senior member of the US team(especially the womens team), the Pan-Am championship is the easiest continental championship in the world.

The Jr World title is good.  I do agree about Adeline not beating Blades the next time and only because it's so close and it'll be almost impossible to get the gas tank up to par in that short of a timeframe for Final X.

The two that have the best chance to beat her domestically are Makoyed and Guilford.

Looking forward to all of the team trials, should be fun!

• Fire 1

58 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

lol....nobody counts national titles unless your career is done and can't achieve anything else.  I don't take too much stock in that Pan-Am championship from 2018 because winning that tournament is like winning the Spanish Grand Prix.  For any senior member of the US team(especially the womens team), the Pan-Am championship is the easiest continental championship in the world.

The Jr World title is good.  I do agree about Adeline not beating Blades the next time and only because it's so close and it'll be almost impossible to get the gas tank up to par in that short of a timeframe for Final X.

The two that have the best chance to beat her domestically are Makoyed and Guilford.

Welker was the last one to beat her and as recently as a couple weeks ago lost via criteria in one of their matches.

I think Welker rebounds and doesn't lose to Guilford again.  Makoyed looks to be one of the most improved wrestlers of our women's division the last year or two, so I won't disagree there.

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I think Africa/Oceania isn't as tough as Pan Ams. But that's just me.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:56 PM, Tripnsweep said:

I think Africa/Oceania isn't as tough as Pan Ams. But that's just me.

I'll clarify myself then.  As far as a top country goes(like the US), Pan Ams are the easiest compared to the competition that's there.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:50 PM, nhs67 said:

Welker was the last one to beat her and as recently as a couple weeks ago lost via criteria in one of their matches.

I think Welker rebounds and doesn't lose to Guilford again.  Makoyed looks to be one of the most improved wrestlers of our women's division the last year or two, so I won't disagree there.

It's a toss up for me between Welker and Guilford.  They're pretty close.

The only reason why I'm saying Makoyed has the best chance is because she has the mobility and attacks from neutral to score.  

It'll be really interesting for this year's World Championship team, but I'll be much more interesting seeing who goes where in terms of weight classes for the Olympic WFS team.  I wanted to see Elor bump up and try to win the 76kg spot already instead of waiting a year.  Seems pointless to wait until next year to do so because 72kg is going to be so depleted of all the top WFS talent at the World Championships since most dropped to 68kg or bumped up to 76kg around the world.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, CA_Wrestler said:

It's a toss up for me between Welker and Guilford.  They're pretty close.

The only reason why I'm saying Makoyed has the best chance is because she has the mobility and attacks from neutral to score.  

It'll be really interesting for this year's World Championship team, but I'll be much more interesting seeing who goes where in terms of weight classes for the Olympic WFS team.  I wanted to see Elor bump up and try to win the 76kg spot already instead of waiting a year.  Seems pointless to wait until next year to do so because 72kg is going to be so depleted of all the top WFS talent at the World Championships since most dropped to 68kg or bumped up to 76kg around the world.

Bye to the semis next year once she gets another medal. By remaining at 72 this year she can pursue more career accomplishments means more money, means more in the career discussions, and means two more matches next year. If she didn’t win the spot this year at 76 then gets none of the above. It’s a calculated risk versus bumping this year and walking away with nothing.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

I'd rather Amit go down if it's possible. She's a huge step up from Molinari.

This x1000.

I hope she can make the weight and be effective, or shrink her body a bit a still be as good as she is at 72kg.

9 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I hope she can make the weight and be effective, or shrink her body a bit a still be as good as she is at 72kg.

Yep. Although looking at her this weekend, she doesn't appear to have much to give. I thought she looked pretty lean.

Makes a very good USA women's team even better if effective.

I am also curious if Guilford and/or Welker might make the decent to 68 KG.  They aren't as lean as Blades or as big as Elor or Makoyed.

• Fire 1

On 5/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, bnwtwg said:

Bye to the semis next year once she gets another medal. By remaining at 72 this year she can pursue more career accomplishments means more money, means more in the career discussions, and means two more matches next year. If she didn’t win the spot this year at 76 then gets none of the above. It’s a calculated risk versus bumping this year and walking away with nothing.

That is true about her staying at 72kg and look good on the resume, but 72kg is going to have very thin competition this year in Belgrade and I'd rather see her against the best competition at an Olympic weight to see where she stands.  I definitely think she'd be way better at 68kg than Molinari.

• Fire 1

Just now, CA_Wrestler said:

That is true about her staying at 72kg and look good on the resume, but 72kg is going to have very thin competition this year in Belgrade and I'd rather see her against the best competition at an Olympic weight to see where she stands.  I definitely think she'd be way better at 68kg than Molinari.

No doubt.

• Fire 1