US Open - April 26th-30th, 2023

nhs67

21 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Does anyone know if Deakin is done competing?

Rumor is that Shane Sparks has him chained up in his mum's basement.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Someone said earlier but Cox is at 97.   It will be interesting to see what seed he is given. 

I thought after US Nationals in 2000, Gutches would be the man at his weight.    But he did not win the OTTs, losing 1-2.  Gutches would have made a statement at those games I think.  Yeah, I'm a PNW homer. 

I say this because I don't see Snyder being de-railed.  But anything can happen as we have seen. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

13 hours ago, WRESTLER said:

Christian Carroll registered at 125kg for Seniors

I could be proven wrong but I don’t see that ending well. Should have stayed down at juniors for a shot at a world team spot but kudos for stepping up to the big leagues.

i am an idiot on the internet

Iowa has entered the chat.

Desanto at 61 KG, Young at 74 KG, Marinelli at 79 KG, Kemerer at 79 KG, Keuter at 97 KG.

No Woods, Lee, Murin, or Cassioppi.

Nico and Mendez both in at 61 KG as well.

• Fire 1

55kg- always light (bum dump tssst)... if nowry signs up he will walk through it...

60kg- nasty again... ildar, roberts, miranda, black, thomsen, moomey, gurule steps up in weight... none of the guys at the pointy end care for each other at all... next year this weight for olympics trials will be bananas with jones coming down...

63kg- couple of interesting things... tuma coming down from 67 and Fuenffinger is back... expect jones to handle his business...

67kg the big story will be joel adams and his coming out party... i would be very surprised if he wins it, but, he is a problem...

72/77/82kg same bracket as per...

87kg- Stefanowicz back for the first time since his olympic birth... vera and carslon with there to say hi...

97kg- rau back... interesting...

130kg- coon back... schultz has had a tough year so far in the poo style and he has never beat coon any way... still waiting on rulon to enter... waiting for attao to get a little more mature and this might just be his weight for years to come... he is only signed up for U20 but just wait... that kid is fun... not your typical heavy wrestler...

Edited by LJB
  • Fire 4

3 hours ago, mspart said:

Is Fix or Lee going to show up?   Arujau is in the mix.    I understand PSU folks wait until the last moment or so was said earlier.   So I won't ask about those.  

mspart

In his Barstool interview Lee said he hasn't even wrestled since NCAAs, that he wasn't healthy right now, and that 2024 is is focus while also saying that he always plans to compete just that sometimes health holds a higher priority.

All signs point to him not wrestling at the 2023 US Open later this month.

5 hours ago, LJB said:

87kg- Stefanowicz back for the first time since his olympic birth... vera and carslon with there to say hi... Has to be Vera's time to shine, right?

97kg- rau back... interesting... With no Hancock and with Amos having what looked to be a very serious injury at the D1 NCAA Championships, Rau is in good shape to win the spot, right?

130kg- coon back... schultz has had a tough year so far in the poo style and he has never beat coon any way... still waiting on rulon to enter... waiting for attao to get a little more mature and this might just be his weight for years to come... he is only signed up for U20 but just wait... that kid is fun... not your typical heavy wrestler... Wasn't the word that Schultzy was beating Coon in the practice room handily before, he just couldn't get over the hump om competition?  That was also when he was pulling around a considerable amount more baby fat.  With Coom having stepped away for a few years onr has to think Schultzy has the leg up here, right?

See BOLD for comments.

46 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

See BOLD for comments.

i have been waiting for vera to shine for quite some time... i have kinda given up... i dont think he van get by the kind of tounghness that stefanowicz has the capability of bringing...

i don even rcognize anyone else at 97 except rau...

i really do not know about the practice room with schultz and coon, but, i know how the matches went... i do not rate coon very much as a greco wrestler, but, i recognize how big he is and he is incredibly smart... schultz has had a tough year...

take all of this with the usual grain of salt...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i have been waiting for vera to shine for quite some time... i have kinda given up... i dont think he van get by the kind of tounghness that stefanowicz has the capability of bringing...

i don even rcognize anyone else at 97 except rau...

i really do not know about the practice room with schultz and coon, but, i know how the matches went... i do not rate coon very much as a greco wrestler, but, i recognize how big he is and he is incredibly smart... schultz has had a tough year...

take all of this with the usual grain of salt...

Vera, with all that talent, does tend to get out-toughed when it matters most after blowing everyone away when it doesn't, true.

The one downside to Rau is that while he has not competed in Greco since 2020(1) Oly-trials he has competed in Freestyle.  It has all been at 97 KG there, too, which is actially two weights up in Freestyle.  He looms thinner in the neck and arms anf much more rotund in the gut region.  As if he isn't taking competition serious and just going for fun.

This should be the first time Coon has to wrestle Schultzy when Schultzy has been a full 130 KG.  Schultzy didn't so much have a hard year as much as he was simply scouted and his game tactics were easy for folks to get around.  He just chose not to evolve in Folkstyle and rely on only sumo push-out.

• Fire 1

schultz has been wrestling the same way since i have known him which was about 14...

listen to his interview after worlds last year...

i think there is more than he just got figured out...

regardless, it at least makes heavy a little interesting...

• Fire 1