Potential TikTok Ban

BobDole

On 3/24/2023 at 10:19 AM, BobDole said:

Sounds like all of our great congressmen and women are up in arms about "the children" and want to ban TikTok. Don't mind that they all are paid off heavily by Zuckerburg and Google. They make it sound like China is stealing the data they already got from Facebook and Google, but there is much more to it.

Funny how both sides are "agreeing" on this and yet most of the old fogies in congress don't even have a basic understanding of technology.

The issue at hand is not just a matter of revenue competition. It's not solely about the potential for China to exploit their access to the same insights as the USA, which includes texts, photos, videos, likes, membership information, and search history. The greatest risk and concern lies in who has control over the social media platforms that shape the opinions of today's youth, who will ultimately become the leaders of tomorrow.  

35 minutes ago, jross said:

The issue at hand is not just a matter of revenue competition. It's not solely about the potential for China to exploit their access to the same insights as the USA, which includes texts, photos, videos, likes, membership information, and search history. The greatest risk and concern lies in who has control over the social media platforms that shape the opinions of today's youth, who will ultimately become the leaders of tomorrow.  

You should see what they build into their cars.

3 hours ago, jross said:

Basically as Greg Pence put it, where is his money for the data. Once he gets paid he is fine with it. China and Russia and everyone else can already buy the data from Google and Meta, they just get kickbacks from both so it's okay. 

If this passes freedom of speech is going to be limited more and more. 

Since everyone is in agreement that Tik Tok is a huge threat to America given the power to control what you see and how you see it, to make you believe things that are not true... maybe... the 50% will understand why Twitter is better and the 100% will wake up to what is wrong with the Media, AI Chats, Facebook and Google.  

10 hours ago, jross said:

Since everyone is in agreement that Tik Tok is a huge threat to America given the power to control what you see and how you see it, to make you believe things that are not true... maybe... the 50% will understand why Twitter is better and the 100% will wake up to what is wrong with the Media, AI Chats, Facebook and Google.  

Yes Elon is way more trustworthy with your information, such as Zuckerberg. They would never sell information to anyone like China or Russia. We need more patriots like the South African born Musk. 

What information could Elon or Zuckerberg sell about me, and how will it impact me?  Maybe I should take that more serious.

Is that a bigger threat than control over what content and culture is pushed to me and mine?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, jross said:

What information could Elon or Zuckerberg sell about me, and how will it impact me?  Maybe I should take that more serious.

Is that a bigger threat than control over what content and culture is pushed to me and mine?

Bingo!

1 hour ago, jross said:

All this good stuff is what they collect

Screenshot_20230327_102845_Google Play Store.jpg

Here is what Tiktok captures 

Screenshot_20230327_103100_Google Play Store.jpg

1 hour ago, jross said:

Have you ever downloaded your Facebook or Twitter data? They collect quite a bit of information. Do you ever wonder why the ads literally target what you are thinking? They know more about you than you do.

Social media is free, but they have to make money in some fashion. Selling information about their consumers is what makes them money. This goes for Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, MySpace, Truth Social, etc. And don't think these people aren't against selling data to foreign countries or even foreign countries having others buy the data for them. 

7 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Have you ever downloaded your Facebook or Twitter data? They collect quite a bit of information. Do you ever wonder why the ads literally target what you are thinking? They know more about you than you do.

Social media is free, but they have to make money in some fashion. Selling information about their consumers is what makes them money. This goes for Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, MySpace, Truth Social, etc. And don't think these people aren't against selling data to foreign countries or even foreign countries having others buy the data for them. 

+1 for listing myspace before truth social.

• Fire 1

51 minutes ago, BobDole said:

You are right...they do do that with all of our data...one of the reason's  social media is the bane of our society, but his point, which I agree with 100%, but it's not what info/data of mine they can collect and sell, but how they control the messaging/narrative/content that is presented and more importantly the information they won't let be shown on their platforms...THAT should scare us all way more than someone knowing my or your search history...IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

You are right...they do do that with all of our data...one of the reason's  social media is the bane of our society, but his point, which I agree with 100%, but it's not what info/data of mine they can collect and sell, but how they control the messaging/narrative/content that is presented and more importantly the information they won't let be shown on their platforms...THAT should scare us all way more than someone knowing my or your search history...IMHO.

100% agree on everything you stated. 

They have created a new crack for everyone as we all feel we need social media and even further Google/Apple to survive. 

None of the tech companies are immune to using the data to show us information we want or what they want to promote. TikTok is no worse than any other social media company. The USA "based" tech companies are mainly jealous that the TikTok algorithm is really good and gets people engaged at a way higher rate.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, BobDole said:

100% agree on everything you stated. 

They have created a new crack for everyone as we all feel we need social media and even further Google/Apple to survive. 

None of the tech companies are immune to using the data to show us information we want or what they want to promote. TikTok is no worse than any other social media company. The USA "based" tech companies are mainly jealous that the TikTok algorithm is really good and gets people engaged at a way higher rate.

Agreed!  And that documentary "The Social Dilemma" is crazy!  I made my teenage son watch it...he is mostly on the SnapChat and just watches tik toc videos but doesn't post anything.  I am lucky he is a kid that is skeptical of everything he sees/reads on the internet and will search "facts" out before blindly believing things he reads; it makes me so proud when we chat and he says he read something and looked into it and it wasn't true at all.  He laughs at the click bait headlines.  Anyway, I am digressing.  I think everyone should watch "The Social Dilemma"...even though I know they can put spin on any of those types of documentaries, but even still, scary stuff.  That's why I only do wrestling forums like this one...nothing but facts and truths being spewed here daily!  😂  I do enjoy the banter though...and have actually learned some things and changed my views a couple times.

Edited by Bigbrog