Killian Cardinale

Antitroll2828

https://wvusports.com/news/2023/3/24/blog-cardinales-toughness-and-persistence-leads-to-another-all-america-season.aspx

Not only did he AA as the 28 seed, coming off major shoulder injury from last season he started the season finding out he had stress fractures in both big toes . After some time off he returned around midlands and immediately tore his acl, after sitting out a few weeks he came back to practice and immediately had a complete bucket handle meniscus tear , he had the meniscus repair surgery just 2 weeks before big 12s and 27 days before the start of nationals . He wrestled all matches at ncaas including the meaningless 7th/8th match…guy is an absolute warrior and he did all this while in medical school 

this guy should be the one selling excuses are for wussies gear 

• Fire 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

With medical a school degree he may be his own, and only, patient with the continuity of injuries he seems to have.  Yikes.  Very tough. 

That said - bad luck or brittle?

Dude's not brittle. I've seen him practice since he was little. He would have to have a coterie of fresh, willing partners rotate in on him.** Most would end up finding a way out of the rotation after half hour or so. He just chewed them up. 

**I'm sure this is this case with most DI-level kids in a typical club/high school room. Impressive nonetheless.

Not to take anything away from him, because that's all tough, but he must have had a meniscectomy (arthroscopic surgery to cut away torn cartilage). No way they let him wrestle two weeks after a meniscus repair (a major surgery similar to a ligament repair).

Edit: actually reading the article, he did have a scope. 

Edited by Crotalus

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

Not to take anything away from him, because that's all tough, but he must have had a meniscectomy (arthroscopic surgery to cut away torn cartilage). No way they let him wrestle two weeks after a meniscus repair (a major surgery similar to a ligament repair).

Edit: actually reading the article, he did have a scope. 

Meniscus can be repaired!?  Asking for someone who needs meniscus repair.  Also didn't know about ligament repair, they sold me on the replace😞

42 minutes ago, ionel said:

Meniscus can be repaired!?  Asking for someone who needs meniscus repair.  Also didn't know about ligament repair, they sold me on the replace😞

Replaced with cadaver meniscus. 
They can be repaired with sticthes but that’s rare.

I’m thinking more likely a clean out of frayed edges?

Edited by D3UC157

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Should have said reconstruction regarding the ligament. Not sure they can repair a complete ligament tear using the same ligament. 

Yes, meniscus can be repaired, but yes, it's rare. The meniscus has a limited blood supply so most tears won't heal even if repaired. That's why they usually just cut out any damage that is causing issues. The article mentioned Cardinale had a "scope" done, which indicates they just cut away the damaged tissue. A scope is a much, much easier recovery (you walk out of the hospital the same day), but if too much meniscus is removed, you will be dealing with knee problems down the line. 

I injured my knee in practice a couple of weeks before the district tournament my junior year of high school. Tried to wrestle on it during the last regular season tournament of the year but it locked up in the finals. Trainers and doctors knew it was torn because it was locking up (incredibly painful telltale sign of a meniscus tear) so they didn't bother with an MRI. I was told they wouldn't know whether they would do a meniscectomy (two small holes from the scope) or a meniscus repair (slice open your knee) until they were in there looking at the damage. So I wouldn't know whether I could wrestle the district tournament until I woke up from surgery. Ended up just being a "scope" job and I was able to wrestle at districts 10 days later (and won the tournament).

Edited by Crotalus

I don’t think it matters what kind of surgery he had , he AAed coming back from major shoulder surgery, with stress fractures in both his big toes , a torn acl in one knee , torn meniscus in the other knee , surgery 2 weeks before big 12s and a 28 seed ..Cardinale is one tough sob 

• Fire 4

On 3/25/2023 at 3:29 PM, Idaho said:

He had like 7 braces on him and limped around all weekend…but did not fft. 

Spencer Lee called him "nobody" or "some guy" the first year he All Americaned. He then implied  Cardinale was below him enough that he won't mention his name. 

His karma was standing right next to Cardinale on the all american podium- dethroned. It reminded me how Byrd told Cannon "you're nobody" after big 10s 2 years ago, and then Byrd-Cannon finishing 5-7 back to back years on the podium.

They've seemingly mended their relationship now that an influx of 133 talent left them both off the podium this year, and it appears Byrd will never lose to Cannon.

• Fire 1

On 3/25/2023 at 4:14 PM, ionel said:

The replacement is the way to go. Got an achilles graft and it was great. Done Wrestling at the time, but about 5 months in, told the Doc I felt good and thought I could start lifting and was back to normal. Doctor told me I had to wait because it takes a while for the graft to full take, the blood to flow normally, but it was so much quicker just in terms of walking, jogging, feeling good. 

I've had it repaired and then two replaced(it was a no-brainer the 3rd time).

As for the Meniscus, never had to deal with that, but my old man had one. Skipped all the rehab and 2 years later and it still flares up on him all the time. So my advice there would be...don't ask your son who never went to medical school what rehab he should do because he injured the same general part of the body and just listen to the physical therapists. 

On 3/25/2023 at 9:15 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think it matters what kind of surgery he had , he AAed coming back from major shoulder surgery, with stress fractures in both his big toes , a torn acl in one knee , torn meniscus in the other knee , surgery 2 weeks before big 12s and a 28 seed ..Cardinale is one tough sob 

The ACLs are tough, but I can get it. The shoulder...you're so vulnerable in almost every position. Sure, the knee will buckle, but you never know with that shoulder.

Worst injury I've ever had.

This dude is a badass. 

10 hours ago, scourge165 said:

The replacement is the way to go. Got an achilles graft and it was great. Done Wrestling at the time, but about 5 months in, told the Doc I felt good and thought I could start lifting and was back to normal. Doctor told me I had to wait because it takes a while for the graft to full take, the blood to flow normally, but it was so much quicker just in terms of walking, jogging, feeling good. 

I've had it repaired and then two replaced(it was a no-brainer the 3rd time).

As for the Meniscus, never had to deal with that, but my old man had one. Skipped all the rehab and 2 years later and it still flares up on him all the time. So my advice there would be...don't ask your son who never went to medical school what rehab he should do because he injured the same general part of the body and just listen to the physical therapists. 

btdtmt

12 hours ago, jmoney said:

Spencer Lee called him "nobody" or "some guy" the first year he All Americaned. He then implied  Cardinale was below him enough that he won't mention his name. 

Yeah, because this is the guy who had to get a little taunt in for Spencer late in their match while Lee was wrestling with no ACLs.  Context Jmoney.  Context.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:55 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

https://wvusports.com/news/2023/3/24/blog-cardinales-toughness-and-persistence-leads-to-another-all-america-season.aspx

Not only did he AA as the 28 seed, coming off major shoulder injury from last season he started the season finding out he had stress fractures in both big toes . After some time off he returned around midlands and immediately tore his acl, after sitting out a few weeks he came back to practice and immediately had a complete bucket handle meniscus tear , he had the meniscus repair surgery just 2 weeks before big 12s and 27 days before the start of nationals . He wrestled all matches at ncaas including the meaningless 7th/8th match…guy is an absolute warrior and he did all this while in medical school 

this guy should be the one selling excuses are for wussies gear 

What was his placement at Big 12?