2023 Hodge Trophy Winner

nhs67

46 minutes ago, dragit said:

This is well argued but in the end I'm not sure it makes a difference either way. Bias affects votes.  A voter's views of sportsmanship/heart will in many cases be the difference on a close call (up or down), regardless of the official criteria. 

If AJ Ferrari comes back and goes undefeated with high pins and bonus next year, and Keegan O'Toole or David Carr or Shane Griffith is undefeated and close but clearly behind Ferrari in dominance criteria, Ferrari ain't gonna win regardless of whether the intangible criterion is on the list. 

Popularity contest you say?

14 hours ago, flyingcement said:

lmao?  Wow, imagine how everyone would have felt if he simply said "congrats" and left it at that. Lets hope the wrestling fans forget this as quickly as they seem to have forgotten about what Brooks said.

• Fire 1

Starocci's response to Parris winning the Hodge is the kind of sportsmanship/character that likely contributed to Starocci not winning the Hodge.  Technically, being an arrogant douche doesn't disqualify anyone, but let's be honest...

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Not134 said:

Starocci's response to Parris winning the Hodge is the kind of sportsmanship/character that likely contributed to Starocci not winning the Hodge.  Technically, being an arrogant douche doesn't disqualify anyone, but let's be honest...

The Hodge trophy is an award that encapsulates Dan Hodges wrestling prowess and character. It makes sense that the award would have some of the "intangible" traits that Hodge had. If a wrestler wants to win the Hodge trophy, they just need to look up the criteria before the season.

• Fire 1

49 minutes ago, Gus said:

The Hodge trophy is an award that encapsulates Dan Hodges wrestling prowess and character. It makes sense that the award would have some of the "intangible" traits that Hodge had. If a wrestler wants to win the Hodge trophy, they just need to look up the criteria before the season.

Especially since he was there to create it. 

2 hours ago, Not134 said:

I think I found you on twitter.  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

I'm glad they took the completely subjective "Sportsmanship" (or was it heart?) out of it. If you're the best wrestler that year, and you're a jackass, that shouldn't disqualify you from winning something that's based on results that season. News flash, not every Hodge winner from the past is of high moral/ethical fiber or high character people. That's just the nature of people. 

If Starocci has the stats to validate the #1 next year for this, I'll have no qualms putting him on the #1 line. 

Sportsmanship is still a criteria for the Hodge

Mason Parris wins 2023 Hodge; Starocci, Diakomihalis finish second, third
By Mike FinnUpdated
March 27, 2023

Criteria for the Hodge includes a wrestler’s record, dominance/bonus-point percentage, quality of competition and sportsmanship.

According to Wikipedia......

Since 2022, the Hodge Trophy Voting Criteria has been based on four criteria:[8]

1. Record
  2. Dominance/Bonus-Point Percentage
  3. Quality of Competition
  4. Sportsmanship

Formerly, the trophy was awarded based on seven criteria:[9]

1. Record
  2. Number of pins
  3. Dominance
  4. Past credentials
  5. Quality of competition
  6. Sportsmanship/Citizenship
  7. Heart

• Fire 1

21 hours ago, Matthew Burns said:

I'm pretty Penn State centric.

That said Parris earned the Hodge. Putting the competition on their backs matters.

Next year look for 33 Hodge finalists. I wonder who the pigtail candidate will be.

Also Penn State centric and agree whole heartedly that Mason Parris deserves this Hodge Trophy. He won it on pretty much every criteria. 

19 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

In my best LJB impression...

"them" - the opposite of "us"... 

They must be bad, since we are clearly good...

I've done the research; Hunter Hilary's email laptop server is where the answers will be found.

giphy.gif

Adorable...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

How out of touch with reality must Starocci be to think he was seriously in the running for the Hodge?

I don't get why he wouldn't have been in the running, but to think it's funny that Parris won it? 

He needs to get out of his own way. Confidence is great. The way he's been talking shit is annoying. 

On 3/27/2023 at 3:29 PM, Jason Bryant said:

I'm glad they took the completely subjective "Sportsmanship" (or was it heart?) out of it. If you're the best wrestler that year, and you're a jackass, that shouldn't disqualify you from winning something that's based on results that season. News flash, not every Hodge winner from the past is of high moral/ethical fiber or high character people. That's just the nature of people. 

If Starocci has the stats to validate the #1 next year for this, I'll have no qualms putting him on the #1 line. 

I agree with this...to a point. If...for the sake of argument, he and David Carr each go undefeated next year, have similar records and Starocci acts like a douche, I'm gonna vote for Carr. 

Starocci didn't do anything to disqualify himself IMO. I'd prefer a guy get on the mat, run off the mat after kicking someone's ass without the contrived Metcalf like fake nonsense, but it's College Wrestling and emotions get involved. As long as it doesn't escalate past the "hold me back" bullshit, fine.

But man, he'd do himself a LOT of favors by just shutting up. 

• Fire 2

After years of my HS finishing second at the state tournament (and in some cases, it wasn't close to some of those monster Grundy teams Kevin Dresser had), a friend of mine said, "It's easy to win with class. It takes a while to learn how to lose with class."

Not sure how real it is or who came up with it, but that always kinda stuck with me. I want to know how our best act at their worst moments sometimes. 

• Fire 2

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

2 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

After years of my HS finishing second at the state tournament (and in some cases, it wasn't close to some of those monster Grundy teams Kevin Dresser had), a friend of mine said, "It's easy to win with class. It takes a while to learn how to lose with class."

Not sure how real it is or who came up with it, but that always kinda stuck with me. I want to know how our best act at their worst moments sometimes. 

Guys should watch David Carr & KOT if they want to learn how to win & lose with class and humility.

• Fire 5